Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the AMSOIL 0-30 Synthetic? I was thinking about trying it. I have heard AMSOIL is supposed to be one of the top synthetics. Any opinions:?:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
This is one I have asked before. You are going to get answers from anything like its the best stuff every made I wouldnt run anything but AMSoil in my vehicle. To someone who will say I ran AMSoil and it blew up my car. LOL it will be like that believe me.

I have not had a chance or been brave enough to give it a try. I love the little demo with the gears and AMSoil at the auto stores. It looks like it would be good stuff but hey what do I know. I am not a gear head.

M4ck

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello i have run 0-30 amsoil in my mkviii going on 5 yrs now and believe it to be great.the mks engine is similar in that it is dohc with timing chains and is known to have a start up rattle due to low oil pressure at start up after i started using the 0-30 i rarely get this.the cam chain tensioners pump up quicker with 0-30 plus the engine runs cooler and bumped my fuel mileage up about 2-3 mpg. i will be running this oil in the titan as soon as i hit 3000 miles which wont be long.
chuck

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me know how it does in the Titan. I have a buddy who has been running the AMSOIL 0-30 for the past six months in his Dodge 1500 - he loves the stuff. I'm just trying to cover my bases before I change out with a synthetic.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i also seen an increase in mileage and decrease in temp. when using mobil 1. its all good just every user prefers there own brand

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I can't resist throwing my nickels worth into this discussion about Amsoil. Yes they make a great oil, I used to be a dealer eons ago....BUT, the same/better oil sample results can be had using Mobil 1 0W-40, of which is quite a bit less expensive and more readily available.

As far as oil samples go with the Titans I haven't seen a bad one yet irregardless of the oil that is used, synthetic or not....The choice is obviously yours but why spend a ton more money on an oil that doesn't perform better then a cheaper synthetic or non-synthetic oil???

Ok, I think my nickels worth is up.. :)

G

·
JetTech said:
I can't resist throwing my nickels worth into this discussion about Amsoil. Yes they make a great oil, I used to be a dealer eons ago....BUT, the same/better oil sample results can be had using Mobil 1 0W-40, of which is quite a bit less expensive and more readily available.

As far as oil samples go with the Titans I haven't seen a bad one yet irregardless of the oil that is used, synthetic or not....The choice is obviously yours but why spend a ton more money on an oil that doesn't perform better then a cheaper synthetic or non-synthetic oil???

Ok, I think my nickels worth is up.. :)
Well, I will have to respond on one comment of yours. Mobil 1 isn't better than Amsoil. So your Same/Better line is a bit far fetched.

And per your last paragraph. Amsoil you can easily go to 10k+ of miles compared to Mobil 1 6k. The difference is in the test results I have seen on many cars including Nissans. Mobil 1 starts to fall apart around 6k. Amsoil doesn't show that till near 10-12k. I rather have Amsoil in my car over Mobil 1. I use to be a die hard Mobil 1 fan till I tried Amsoil. You can save money using Amsoil because you can safely extend your change interval.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and start reading. You'll see where Mobil 1 tends to do much better in oil samples then Amsoil, even when doing extended drains. The Amsoil tends to thicken out of grade which is of concern, no one seems to know why though at this time.

A lot of this boils down to economics too, is the Amsoil worth the extra money???? Do some reading on that site and you decide.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Just as an added note, if there is a huge interest in Amsoil I'll dump some in my Titan at the next oil change and then do an oil sample. Just let me know which grade most of you are interested in and I'll do it. I should be due for an oil change in about a month. That will give me 5K miles on the oil I have in it right now of which is 5 qts. of Mobil 1 0W-40 and 2 qts. of Redline 5W-30. I was just playing a little with different oils... :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
JetTech said:
I was just playing a little with different oils... :lol:
Don't feel funny the Old Lady and me like to play with oils also. LOL
m4ck

G

·
I think any good oil (synthetic or not) will do fine if you change the oil and filter according to the way you drive and the conditions in which you drive. My dealer charges $9.95 for a oil and filter change, using Quaker State. I can get at least 5 oil/filter changes for what one synthetic oil/filter change would cost me. I used the same dealer with my Pathfinder and Maximas that I had. I followed the Nissan schedule and never had any engine problems, with 116-120 K miles on each vehicle.
I have a real problem leaving any oil in my engines for 6-8K miles.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I saw that one posted over on bobs site. It is an excellent report using Amsoils Diesel/gas rated 5W-30. I wouldn't use that oil personally for any Amsoil test but there is no arguing with the results. The thing that amazes me with the Endurance engine is that I've seen one that is just as good as this one using Chevron 5W-30.

Actually the Endurance engine is so good that we'll be splitting hairs and ppm's between different oils. That's why I question the economic side of using expensive oils. It's nice knowing we don't have an engine that typically puts out high iron and copper...(not to mention any names)...GM....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, this turned out to be a nice healthy discussion. Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but has anyone tried Royal Purple?

Just want to say thanks for all the useful information.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I've never tried that stuff. I guess it's because I don't know of anywhere locally I can get it. Give it a try if you can find some and do an oil sample if you can. The more samples we have to look at the more interesting the whole topic becomes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts