·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
December 21, 2004
To Whom It May Concern:
Valvoline has received several inquiries regarding the topic of MaxLife ATF and its use in various vehicles
beyond those requiring DEXRON®-III or MERCON® approved products. In response to these questions
Valvoline has issued the following statements:
Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those requiring
DEXRON III and MERCON fluids including those where the following fluids are recommended:
• GM DEXRON II
• Ford MERCON V
• Allison C-4
• Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluids
• Toyota (and Lexus) Type T, T-III or T-IV fluids
• Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III fluids
• KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids
• Hyundai
• Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 fluid (except in CVTs)
• BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids
• Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, and Matic-K fluids
Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions.
However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved
MaxLife ATF.
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in
transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the
unlikely event that any transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MaxLife ATF, unlikely event that any transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MaxLife ATF,
please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL. please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL.
While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissions
can also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, and anti-shudder
protection and many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance.
MaxLife ATF is recommended for the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions, except the Ford 5R110, Ford 6RXX,
and the Mercedes Benz W7A700 (7G-Tronic) which all require a low viscosity ATF fluid.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in continuously variable transmissions (CVT’s) or in
automatic transmissions where Ford Type F is recommended.
Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Technical Director
Valvoline Brand

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cliff notes: Valvoline Maxlife ATF can be used in both.

G

·
GETSOMZ28, I edited this to a sticky for the time being so all will see.

Is MAXLIFE a synthetic??? Also, I am a fan of Mobile 1, does anyone have any info as to its compatability?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Bill, I just picked up 3 qts of the Mob1 synth ATF to change the xfer case fluid, hopefully this weekend. I'm also doing the motor and front diffy w/ Mob1, as well. Jet did a little research a week or so ago on the compatibility between the Matic D and Mob1 ATF. He said they were virtually the same. Not sure about the Matic J though. It's funny, cause the manual states that Matic D is required in the US, but in Canada it says that Dexron III/ Mercon is acceptable. There is no difference in tranny's between US and Can models, so I feel comfortable about going with Mob1.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Valvoline Maxlife ATF - $2.96/qt at Checker Auto Parts!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BiXLL said:
Its the matic J I am concerned about
Stick with the matic J for the tranny.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading more on bobistheoilguy, I am going to swap out the Maxlife for Chevron.

·
Registered
91 Posts
GETSOMZ28 said:
After reading more on bobistheoilguy, I am going to swap out the Maxlife for Chevron.
What did you see over there to make you want to do this? I looked and there is alot of info over there to digest.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I already switched my transfer case over to Syntec ATF, for the tranny though, I'll be sticking with Matic-J until I see Nissan say otherwise or until the warranty runs out, then she'll get Royal Purple.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Maybe we should all start pushing Nissan for an alternative for the matic-j (preferably synth) If they don't give us one, we should all be getting our tranny fluid for free.
"Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-2312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of part unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty." I'm going to try to look into this myself.

G

·
rexracer said:
Maybe we should all start pushing Nissan for an alternative for the matic-j (preferably synth) If they don't give us one, we should all be getting our tranny fluid for free.
"Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-2312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of part unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty." I'm going to try to look into this myself.
WOW rexracer, I like your style!!!! Please keep us informed as to what you are told!

·
Registered
870 Posts
rexracer said:
You have a point, but the manufacturer can specify a specific grade or type of fluid. Currently I believe that Nissan is the only supplier of anything that meets the Matic-J spec. The same thing happened when GM came out with thier DexCool anti-freeze, and everyone was stuck getting it from the dealer until the aftermarket suppliers got on the ball and starting making an antifreeze that met the specs.

The nissan service manual says that you have to use Matic-J or its equivalent, and until someone says thier product meets that spec, or starts making a new fluid that does, I think we are stuck using it if we want to keep our warranty.

·
Registered
600 Posts
NateL said:
You have a point, but the manufacturer can specify a specific grade or type of fluid. Currently I believe that Nissan is the only supplier of anything that meets the Matic-J spec. The same thing happened when GM came out with thier DexCool anti-freeze, and everyone was stuck getting it from the dealer until the aftermarket suppliers got on the ball and starting making an antifreeze that met the specs.

The nissan service manual says that you have to use Matic-J or its equivalent, and until someone says thier product meets that spec, or starts making a new fluid that does, I think we are stuck using it if we want to keep our warranty.
So, I guess the next thing would be to find out what that spec is, and if any existing products meet it. I have a hard time believing that with all the high tech synthetic oils available that not one would be able to pass any test that the nissan stuff would.

·
Registered
870 Posts
rexracer said:
NateL said:

So, I guess the next thing would be to find out what that spec is, and if any existing products meet it. I have a hard time believing that with all the high tech synthetic oils available that not one would be able to pass any test that the nissan stuff would.
I'm sure there are quite a few products already on the shelves that meet the spec, but getting Nissan to put there stamp of approval on it might take some time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
looked around on the web and got some info. This qoute is from here http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/capacities.html
"Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent.
Using A/T fluid other than NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent will cause deterioration in driveability and A/T durability, and may damage the A/T, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty. Currently available exact equivalents to NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J are Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP." I'm gonna look around for the castrol, the other one may be a japanese product... never heard of it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
rexracer said:
looked around on the web and got some info. This qoute is from here http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/capacities.html
"Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent.
Using A/T fluid other than NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent will cause deterioration in driveability and A/T durability, and may damage the A/T, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty. Currently available exact equivalents to NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J are Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP." I'm gonna look around for the castrol, the other one may be a japanese product... never heard of it.

a quick search came up with no results for an american supplier of the Castrol Transmax J. Even the american corporate website for castrol doesn't mention it anywhere, but it looks like they sell it in just about every other country.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I will be running Amsoil Universal synthetic ATF in mine after the mods. That's what the shop is recommending to me. I looked and Amsoil doesn't say that this is equivalent to Matic-J but I will take the word of these folks since they have made these transmissions capable of holding around 700hp without problems.

Of course, if I was stock and wasn't cranking the mods onto my truck I would probably just run the Nissan ATF just to play it safe.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
the_head said:
I will be running Amsoil Universal synthetic ATF in mine after the mods. That's what the shop is recommending to me. I looked and Amsoil doesn't say that this is equivalent to Matic-J but I will take the word of these folks since they have made these transmissions capable of holding around 700hp without problems.

Of course, if I was stock and wasn't cranking the mods onto my truck I would probably just run the Nissan ATF just to play it safe.
I bet that will work fine head. I used to run the same stuff in my wifes benz, which of course specified only the mercedes ATF because it was the 5 speed auto. It worked fine and the oil sample I had done on it to make sure was perfect. Keep us updated on this one because I'm interested in putting the same stuff in my tranny as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts