Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently looking into buying a camper and the ones we have been looking at are between 23' and 28' tongue pull. With dry weight ranging from 3,300lbs to 5,300lbs. I am looking at installing rear air bags and electric brake controller. I will also be getting a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars. What size campers do you guys have and what is the weight? What have been your experiences towing heavier trailers and how does the Titan do? Any advice or recommendations? I know once we have all our gear loaded and water this will add another 1000-1500 pounds plus the atv(700lbs) in the bed. My LE Titan without tow package is rated at 7200lb tow capacity but I dont want to push its limits either.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in, but do a quick search for towing and you should get a lot of info!

Lots and lots and lots of choices out there as far as travel trailers!

For us, we LOVE our Jayco Jayflight! Seems fairly well built and so far, (knock on wood) has been very reliable! Our model is the 29FBS and would be a little too big for a non BT Titan at 8000# loaded, 900# tongue. We have towed our trailer all over the Rockies and into Canada with great results. I may not be the fastest rig out there, but I am not the slowest either! Ever pulled the west side of Rabbit Ears or Wolf Creek pass? We have! Love my Titan! In my opinion, don't load much gear (especially an ATV) in the bed when towing. Payload is your enemy, unfortunately, and the tongue weight of the trailer will eat up most of it.

Get a good WD hitch and brake controller. We use the Equal-i-zer Hitch and Prodigy Controller, worth their weight in gold!

Best of luck!

-Lab

·
Registered
304 Posts
Arent you pusing the max weight with that trailer and your gear loaded? How is the braking with the titan hauling that much weight?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!! You do seem pretty close to your tow capacity, has your tranny temp gauge ever gone high?? I know about the payload with our trucks and I have gone over it before while hunting and also putting a ton of wood pellets in the bed on several occasions. Probably not a good thing. I read our trucks are already prewired for the brake controller and just need the harness. Does that come with the controller or do we need to get the harness from the dealer? Your truck looks pretty level too, do you have air bags or is that just from the WD hitch?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Equal-i-zer hitch is king. It will solve all problems. You're still quite a bit below what you can tow. Remember, those weight guidelines are mere assumptions and take into the account the weakest link in the equation....your tires. Get some E rated tires on there and give yourself peace of mind. OP, i see you have BFG's on there already. Also, major differences between BT and non-BT is the gearing. That's not to say it can't still tow it, it just does it easier with BT. That ATV in the bed is going to be the killer. Watch your tongue weight as it is going to be the deciding factor

--sorry forgot this wasnt titantalk...i tow a 24' Weekend Warrior toyhauler that weighs in at 4550 dry. Loaded, with water and quads puts me close to the 7K mark. Equalizer hitch and prodigy brake controller handles it like a dream-- i'm non-BT

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Maverick. I will be looking into that hitch and brake controller. Does the wire harness come with the brake controller to connect to our Titans?

·
Registered
88 Posts
My Starcraft is on the light end at 3,900 lbs. The Titan pulls this thing fantastic!! I traded a 2004 Dodge Cummins for the Titan. I actually like the Titan better. Quicker throttle response since I don't have to wait for the turbo to spool up. The Titan rocks. The equalizer hitch makes all the difference in the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts