Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides taking it to someone else. I really hate having to take off the skid plate to get at the filter. Anyone able to change their oil filter without having to remove it. I just couldnt see a way.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Just cut a hole in your skid plate where the filter is. Sounds like an odd idea but it's better then leaving the entire skid plate off.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Cmon m4ck! All you have to do is take 2 bolts out, loosen 2 bolts, and its off! Its really not that big a deal!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
BiXLL said:
Cmon m4ck! All you have to do is take 2 bolts out, loosen 2 bolts, and its off! Its really not that big a deal!
I was thinking that but wanted to express a little sympathy....baaaahaaaaa :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
JetTech said:
BiXLL said:
I was thinking that but wanted to express a little sympathy....baaaahaaaaa :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess I just don't have the "peopleskills" you got JT!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
BiXLL said:
That's what I say, too! Come on man! You may need those new found skills of yours one day :wink: :wink:

j/k josh

·
Registered
870 Posts
Is my skidplate the only one that has 4 allen heads holding on a small access plate to get to the oil filter? The access panel is about 4"x4".

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
NateL said:
Is my skidplate the only one that has 4 allen heads holding on a small access plate to get to the oil filter? The access panel is about 4"x4".
You must have the off road package. You have a different plate then the rest of us without the package.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to remove 6 bolts to get this thing off. And if you remember it aint so easy for me to get under the truck let alone move around under there. I aint exactly the skinny kid you know.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
m4ck said:
I have to remove 6 bolts to get this thing off. And if you remember it aint so easy for me to get under the truck let alone move around under there. I aint exactly the skinny kid you know.
If your removing 6 bolts, your removing 2 too many! 2 bolts come all the way out, 2 bolts get loosened and the plate slides out. Unless you have a plate that I have not seen yet!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I seem to recall a total of 4 bolts too. And when you slide it off be mindful that there could be some debris or dirt on the top of the skid plate that could fall off and land on your face.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There were 2 in the front 2 in the rear and 2 in the middle that hold the plastic front bumper to the skid plate which I thought was odd.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
m4ck said:
There were 2 in the front 2 in the rear and 2 in the middle that hold the plastic front bumper to the skid plate which I thought was odd.

:?: :?: :?: "plastic front bumper"??? can you post a picture of this m4ck?

I, too, only have 4 bolts.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh here are some pictures of the plastic pieces that attach in the center of the skid plate. Both of these peices are part of the front bumper and are just thin pieces of plastic that attach in the middle of the skid plate. They don't seem to have much function.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I don't, perhaps a 2wd thing for some reason?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
After thinking about it some more, maybe an XE thing?
With the painted bumper instead of chrome in the center, perhaps they needed an attachment point?

·
Registered
174 Posts
M4ck, it IS an XE thing. I had to remove the front 4 bolts (two that held the skid plate, and two that secured the bumper cover straps) and I loosened the two rear bolts (you don't have to remove them; the plate is slotted for those bolts) to drop my skid plate. I don't mind doing it to change my own oil, but my crystal ball tells me that after several oil changes, the bolt holes (or the bolts themselves) are going to get sloppy from being removed and re-installed several times. I think JetTech mentioned cutting a hole in the plate for filter access; my wife's Sante Fe (4WD) has a front skid plate also, and the fine folks at Hyundai thoughfully provided an access hole to drop the filter. Anyone at Nissan listening?

G

·
0 Posts
JetTech said:
Just cut a hole in your skid plate where the filter is. Sounds like an odd idea but it's better then leaving the entire skid plate off.
My G35 had this. It had the skid plate, but had a 3x5 hole cut where the drain plug was and oil filter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts