Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Titan with 233,000 miles on it. About 10,000 miles ago it started acting up when I cranked it sometimes. It would crank fine but sometimes as soon as it fired and the RPM's would go up it would idle down very low. Sometimes it would catch itself and idle up like it should. Sometimes it would idle down until it shut off. Maybe up to three times in a row. I already changed the IDPM a little over 100,000 and changed the ecm relay again when it started. Didn't help. I cleaned the MAF meter then took the throttle body completely off and cleaned the inside with throttle body cleaner. Since doing that it has never done what it was doing again. But, what it started doing after cleaning it is it idles up to around 1200-1300 and is very slow to idle down to the 550-600 like it should but it will idle down. Don't matter if it is cold or hot. I tried starting fluid spray to see if there was a vacuum leak. There was not. Going down the road and take your foot off the gas and you can feel the throttle body pulsating (searching) for the right spot. Does anyone have any ideas on something I can try to get it to idle like it is suppose to do when you first crank it up and like it did for 220,000 miles. Sorry so long but thanks for anyones help.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Some say with an electronic TB, if you play with the butterfly it will screw it up. I have done this and have not had an issue while I have heard of others doing this and then posting up online with the problem and their solution was a new/used TB. This may be your only options but hopefully someone will more experience will chime in with an exact and possibly cheaper solution.

P.S. 233k on an 04 Titan, damn.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dubie2003. I've been wondering about that because of it being drive by wire and not cable. I did hold the butterfly open a lot while cleaning it and when you let go of it it does seem to have some slop in it. In other words it has a little movement before you feel any pressure. I was hoping it was a matter of it relearning since I had unplugged it. I'll wait and see if there is any other idea but in the mean time I'll see what a throttle body would be on ebay. I still like my truck as much today as when I bought it with 8 miles on it. The third set of tires is on it now. I'm thinking I can get to 240,000 before the fourth set so I can avg 80,000 per set. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I'll try this tomorrow. I had already replaced both PVC valves before cleaning the throttle body. Changing them didn't stop it from dying on me during start up at times. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Keep on driving that rig and lets see how many miles these things are capable of. Using any oil at 233k?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no plans to replace it. I've used syn oil since after the first oil change which was free. I use Mobile 1 15,000 mile but change it around 8,000. In between oil changes it uses drop about 8-10 oz which I don't feel is bad. Looks like I'll be changing the throttle body. I did the resets twice but they didn't better. Thank everyone for their help. At least now I'll be able to reset the new throttle body it I need too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts