Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anybody has done any towing with there titan. I have about A 2500 lb boat that I will be towing this summer.I use to tow it with my silverado and it would have A hard time doing it.
I know that there is A huge power diffrence between the two trucks and I dont anticipate any problems with it but I am still curious to see if any other titan owners have had any problems.
I was at the dealership this morning and they were telling me that there might be A slight pinging sound at the first touch of the gas pedal when towing something.
I have stored my boat for the winter and I dont think I will pull it out till around april or may.
So I guess I will have to just wait and see.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i tow a trailer with 2 quads on it that weighs 2000 lbs. and the truck doesnt even know there back there. we have a few good inclined hills that i can pull the trailer up the hill in overdrive and gain speed from 70 to 85. still gettin about 13.5 to 14.5 mpg while towing at 75 mph, without trailer i get 16-17mpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!! I have an 18 ft Marlin cuddy cabin I bought last year and believe me my chevy struggled with it.
I thought the motor was going to blow up when it came to climbing the hills. It was A 5 speed and I would usually have to drop it into second gear and crawl over the hills. To top it off they werent really hills just small inclines.Dont know about that chevy motor I guess it just wasnt made to tow anything or maybe it just was A bad motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i tow 3 300 fourtrax four wheelers and a 300 ex in the back of the truck and it pulls great but it love s gas at the same time too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My last vehicle had the Chevy 1500 5.7 engine which pales in comparison to the Titan. I have a 19 Ft Champion bass boat which which weighs over 3000 lb with the trailer and full tank of gas (48 gallons) --- The Titan pulls my boat as if there were nothing behind me. I had the feeling of a child with a piece of candy the first time I pulled my boat with the Titan. You will have no problem at all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i haul myself around, thats about a total weight of 190 on a full stomach, my titan pulls me like im not even there, lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I towed my 87 Turbo Buick to the track with mine. My car weighs 3600pounds plus a 1500 pound trailer. It didn't feel like anything was back there. When i had my 2004 Chevy Z71 you could feel the weight back there. I am so happy with the way the Titan pulls compare to the Chevy i had.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
turbobuick,
what does your grand national run? those are my favorite "car" on the road!!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
there is a guy here in Melbourne that has a Grand National, and has basically sunk his entire life into it, he spend 35k on the motor alone, he has a full computer system in the car and everything, he beats drag cars easily, i think his time is in the 8s, maybe lower.

·
Registered
19 Posts
shift said:
there is a guy here in Melbourne that has a Grand National, and has basically sunk his entire life into it, he spend 35k on the motor alone, he has a full computer system in the car and everything, he beats drag cars easily, i think his time is in the 8s, maybe lower.
Whats his name, i might know him.

·
Registered
791 Posts
silverx said:
I am wondering if anybody has done any towing with there titan. I have about A 2500 lb boat that I will be towing this summer.I use to tow it with my silverado and it would have A hard time doing it.
I know that there is A huge power diffrence between the two trucks and I dont anticipate any problems with it but I am still curious to see if any other titan owners have had any problems.
I was at the dealership this morning and they were telling me that there might be A slight pinging sound at the first touch of the gas pedal when towing something.
I have stored my boat for the winter and I dont think I will pull it out till around april or may.
So I guess I will have to just wait and see.

A Chevrolet struggling to tow a 2,500lb boat??? Yikes . . . I tow a 25' Toy Hauler which weighs in at just about 9,500lbs loaded with a 525lb ATV, a 1,000lb Golf Cart, and 850lbs of fresh water. Plus my bed is usually half full of firewood on the way out of town. It's no speed demon but I can pull a 6% Grade at 50mph taching roughly 3K in 3rd gear. Blew right by my buddy pulling about the same weight (maybe lighter) with his Chevrolet 2500HD with the 6.0L. The Titan should make quick work of a 2,500lb boat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isnt that A good feeling to be able to pass another person going up A hill pulling the same amount of weight.Cant get any better than that.And to get A look at there face when you know darn well they got there foot to the floor trying to stay ahead of you..

·
Registered
791 Posts
silverx said:
Isnt that A good feeling to be able to pass another person going up A hill pulling the same amount of weight.Cant get any better than that.And to get A look at there face when you know darn well they got there foot to the floor trying to stay ahead of you..
Sure is a good feeling! And believe me, I don't let him forget it every time he starts with "That's not a real truck, it's a Nissan." Now I just reply, "Wanna hook em up right now and run." He just rolls his eyes and shuts his mouth. LOL I love it! Next, I want to leave his scattered Bowtie parts all over the 1/4 mile. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just finished installing my trailer hitch.6 bolts and washers and it was done.Connected up all the trailer wiring harness. It was A snap. Took my test light out and checked it and I had power.Gotta get the relays from nissan though because the running lights dont work. Simple enough.
It was A lot easier than I thought.I'm happy and it looks good too :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to this forum...thanks to those who got it going in the first place.
I tow a steel two horse trailer, usually with one horse aboard, total weight ~4,000 lbs. After owning GMC 2500 and 3500 series trucks...gas...diesel..you name it...this is the most stable and safe-feeling truck I've ever towed with. The VDC adds a lot to the mix, I think.
However: I'm having trouble with delayed upshifts from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, delaying shifts until this capable engine winds out to nearly 3,000 rpm and then "dumping" up to the next gear. The symptoms only happen about 5% of the time, and I'm not buying the dealer's explanation that it's normal. First thing the dealer did was demand I bring in the trailer with my horse aboard for diagnosis! The horse is worth more than the truck and trailer combined, so that is not an option. Anybody else have these symptoms? :?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Horsedoctor said:
New to this forum...thanks to those who got it going in the first place.
I tow a steel two horse trailer, usually with one horse aboard, total weight ~4,000 lbs. After owning GMC 2500 and 3500 series trucks...gas...diesel..you name it...this is the most stable and safe-feeling truck I've ever towed with. The VDC adds a lot to the mix, I think.
However: I'm having trouble with delayed upshifts from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, delaying shifts until this capable engine winds out to nearly 3,000 rpm and then "dumping" up to the next gear. The symptoms only happen about 5% of the time, and I'm not buying the dealer's explanation that it's normal. First thing the dealer did was demand I bring in the trailer with my horse aboard for diagnosis! The horse is worth more than the truck and trailer combined, so that is not an option. Anybody else have these symptoms? :?
Hey Horsedoctor. Welcome. I experienced this the first time I towed with the "Tow Mode" on. Bottom line, never tow anything in 5th gear. It's very hard on the tranny because 5th is overdrive and generates serious heat. And I only tow in 4th on flat ground. If I am pulling anything over say a 2% grade I manually shift to 3rd and leave it there. I can confortably pull a 6% grade with my trailer (9,500lbs+) in tow in 3rd gear at about 50 mph taching around 3K rpm's and the tranny temp sits at just a hair over 1/2 way. My guess is the tow mode is delaying the shifts in the upper gears to keep the truck in the powerband. Good luck and just out of curiosity, what kind of horse do you have?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts