Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my new '05 crew LE last wednesday (f'in love it!)...was wondering if anybody has tried an ipod thru the auxilary input in the audio system...i'd rather not try the FM broadcast thingy that ipod is trying to sell off...thanks for any input...

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I know some of the guys here have. Just don't remember who. I also have seen them use it for the XM and Sirius as well I believe.
M4ck

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have, it works well except that it puts a serious drain on the battery. Don't leave it plugged up when you aren't in the truck and that will help. Also remember that when you turn the truck off, the iPod doesn't stop. Killed it more than once doing that :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I use an i-pod in my truck. Nice to have so much music at my fingertips, can be distracting so I usually just let it play.

I've had to reset the i-pod several times, it just froze up.

Although the fm transmitter was included with mine I figure a hardwire into the jack has to beat going through the radio for consistent sound quality.

Last night I opened up the transmitter package and decided I probably won't devote the time to reconfiguring the i-pod for awhile. Just too busy. If the transmitter works as well as the jack, it would be nice to eliminate the wires, but you'd still end up having to power it through the vehicle sometimes. I don't have the remote control, but it might be a nice way to tuck everything away neatly.

I make sure to use an accessory jack that turns off with the ignition, stays powered on accessory/off with key off.

jakohler, it sounds like you may be using a full-time power outlet in there, the one I use is directly under the auxilary jack. If the red L.E.D. goes off, it won't put any drain on the battery.

Have a Ball !!!

Chief

·
Registered
184 Posts
All I am doing is running a wire from the headphone jack on my iPod to the aux jack on the front of my stereo. Strictly running from the juice on the iPod.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
jakohler said:
I have, it works well except that it puts a serious drain on the battery. Don't leave it plugged up when you aren't in the truck and that will help. Also remember that when you turn the truck off, the iPod doesn't stop. Killed it more than once doing that :)
Sorry about the misunderstanding jakohler, I thought you were killing the battery on your truck, not the i-pod :oops: LOL

I'm hooking up with the headphone jack also. I was a little concerned about overpowering the input on the radio, but when the i-pod volume is turned up all the way, the vehicle sound system never gets distorted or any louder than usual.

Chief

·
Registered
184 Posts
No problem! I've actually found that I have to turn the volume all the way up on the iPod to even be able to hear it through the truck's speakers. I have to remember to turn it back down when I'm listening to it through my headphones otherwise I deafen myself LOL :p

I actually got both the truck, and the iPod, as birthday presents this year so it's pretty neat that I can use them both at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
went and bought a cable at lunch -- works like a peach...thanks for the info, guys...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I use the power pod too, it's just a cigarette lighter plug for the i-pod. Zip-tied the 2. I gotta do better.

Chief

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All... New to the site (and new titan) I'm not sure if all of the titans are the same but the R power outlet is ignition controlled and the L one is constant hot on my 04 4X4 SE CC. I've got the iPod plugged into the R one and it turns off when I shut off the truck. I have an AC adapter by belkin (i believe) plugs directly to the bottom of the Ipod then into the power outlet.The part that plugs into the power outler has a mini-plug outlet which is where you run the cable from your AUX input fron the dash to. This piece has a built in amp. It makes it sound WAY better and louder. Nothing should be plugged into the headphone jack because it will have your EQ settings from the Ipod mixing w/ your factory EQ and it might sound funny. Hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Gilligan my power outlets are the same as yours. I love this feature. Great to have a choice.
M4ck

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gilligan, how much did that cost? Right now it's better for me to run a line to the AUX jack (read: free LOL) but I would be interested in having a better setup.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Tempting to go for better sound, as the std stereo could use a little more umphh BUT:

I'm sure the aux jack is designed for line out-line in. Don't wanna over power on the input side.

Not quite sure gilligan06 but I think you are saying that w/ the setup you have, you plug an audio cable from the power plug to the aux jack, and no audio cable to the headphone jack, Is this correct????

Oh yea, where'd you get it ? :oops:

Chief

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thank You mrf,

That's pretty nice. 39 bucks. A power boost, and only 1 wire going to the i-pod instead of 2.

I think that's a pretty fair deal.

Still some concern over going to the aux jack with the boosted power though. I wonder if when you get it, they give themselves a disclaimer for plugging directly to the radio-amp input.

Chief

·
Registered
9 Posts
it is a belkin power adapter for the Ipod. That link it correct. It works great. It's a noticable difference from using the headphone input. I don't think it will cause any problems. good luck!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks gilligan06.

I checked it out and I may order it.

I'm also going to see if there are enough inputs left in the i-pod to use the remote control with the Belkin. I'd really like to be able to tuck it in a snug hidden spot.

Chief

·
Registered
71 Posts
Chief said:
.... I'd really like to be able to tuck it in a snug hidden spot.

Chief
Sounds a bit kinky ....

But ... whatever floats your boat ...

:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts