Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Titan owners. Well guys what started out as a bonfire turned into a mess. A buddy got his truck burried on his frame in sugar sand so I attempt to pull him out. Hook up to him and put it in 4lo. Tires grip and start to lift him out and a lould pop went off. Hop out and the housing that holds the front ring and pinion shatters spitting out diff fluid all on the ground. I had to drive it out onto the hwy out of the woods so a flat bed tow truck could take me home. Here is my question, I know the housing is toasted and Im not gonna reuse the ring/pinion due to driving 2 miles with no fluid and on dirt with alot of silt. What parts do you think I will need to repair this besides a new housing and ring/pinion kit and where to purchase. Ive tried a few online stores and they dont sell anything. Im going to a few junk yards around town and they have both Titans and Aramdas, are they the same underneath?

Any input would help out alot, Im fairly new to the 4x4 world and have only really owned muscle cars and dont really know much about a 4wd drivetrain thanks guys

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I don't know enough to help you with front end parts. And I don't know what direction you pulled with your Titan, but for future reference, always pull from the rear and go forward. Never pull from the front and in Reverse, or the gears will get destroyed. It is because of the shape of the gears, and which direction they can handle the most torque.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Did you try this site?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/

and what kind of truck were you pulling? I've never heard of someone having a blow out this way. all i've ever done was rip out a 3 foot diameter tree stump with my T.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Unfortunately you might be looking at a new front dif. In all reality, a new front axle costs about $1400, and a new housing with ring and pinion plus labor will probably be more than that. Plus there very well may be damage to the gears themselves from contacting the housing when it blew out, or from when you drove for a couple miles with no fluid on your gears. This type of failure is common when people tow in reverse while in 4wd, no matter what type of vehicle you drive. Tow hooks are for being towed out of a mud hole, not for towing people out in reverse. I guess you have learned that lesson the hard way. As the other poster said, next time make sure you back in and tow the person out with your trailer hitch. Good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
494 Posts
car-parts.com is your friend in this case. Just buy a used front diff and be done with it. Just make sure you get either the 2.94 or the 3.36 to match the rear.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I don't know enough to help you with front end parts. And I don't know what direction you pulled with your Titan, but for future reference, always pull from the rear and go forward. Never pull from the front and in Reverse, or the gears will get destroyed. It is because of the shape of the gears, and which direction they can handle the most torque.
Thats a shame we have to do that. We had a flood that destroyed the boat club dock a few years ago. We had sections of dock that sunk as well as 2 large boats that got broke apart and sunk. We cleaned it up by running cables and chains from the road way and pulling everything up on shore. Most of the pulling was done with an older GMC 1/2 ton pulling in reverse. He pulled a lot of junk out and even snapped the cables and chains more then once with no issues what so ever!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thats a shame we have to do that. We had a flood that destroyed the boat club dock a few years ago. We had sections of dock that sunk as well as 2 large boats that got broke apart and sunk. We cleaned it up by running cables and chains from the road way and pulling everything up on shore. Most of the pulling was done with an older GMC 1/2 ton pulling in reverse. He pulled a lot of junk out and even snapped the cables and chains more then once with no issues what so ever!

Solid front axle is a much stronger design for sure. Unfortunately most people think that ride comfort is more important than brute strength, hence why all of the new half-tons are independent front axle design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts