Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I did the axle vent from CJ3FLYR and I have a problem. The brass fitting broke flush with the axle so I did a easy something where you take the screw extraction and that tip broke inside completely cover the vent. I dont know what to do next. I just dont want to take to a dealer to find the price tag. DOes any one know what to do next? SHould I start the drill and vacuum process or what I am in need of help please.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
it shouldnt have broke in the first place. when i did mine, the axle hole i had to retap it cause it wasnt the correct size. i would take you a small small drill bit, drill down into the metal a little ways, then use the tire tool that takes out valve stems, it has a reversed thread on it and it should work. hope this helps some.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have that tool thing I will look and see if it has the reverse thing, just afriad that if I start the drill process it will fall in, what if that happens what is the worse it will do? Is it drivable after that? Thanks for teh fast reply.

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you get some small shavings in it, it wont hurt it. just drive a little bit, change out your fluid in the rear end. do this a couple of times. also you can place a heavy magnet to the bottom of your diff so when the shaving circulate through the rearend it will keep them and then just take off the rear diff cover and clean them out, refill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow that's a lot of fluid at 20 a qt.....I guess better than paying a huge bill. Just my luck what if its a big chuck then what take to dealership at that point lol......

How do you put bigger magnet? Okay will try thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
There is a listing for a Toyota Part Number for the Axle Vent Fitting. Perfect Fit to the OEM Thread. I vaquely recall the problem is the thread is either BPT (different pitch and shape) or NPST vs NPT, and thus a tight fit for a typical Tapered Fitting. The Toyota is also a Steel Fitting, not Brass, should never break on you. Get the Toyota part. Cost is about $4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I will sure get the steel on after I figure out how to take the brass and also the easy out bit without the whole axle dissemble.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Needle Nose Pliers and retrieve the broken Easy Out and then use another to extract the broken fitting. Just be patient and it'll be OK.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. My friend stopped by and said I did too good of a job there was no way to take it out except to take the axle assembly off. We tried to use needle nose, drill etc....nothing works....off to his house..........

I just finally got back from my friends house. He is a very good buddy took the time out of his busy schedule to take the axle (right half off) then using a magnet to get all the broken pcs out. It was a 4 hour job but it is now complete. I did take pictures of the process and will post up this weekend after I fig how to get it off the camera...lol.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Once you correct the problem, here's the "rear axle vent mod."
Has the correct Nissan Breather (part# 38323-C601A) $7.36

I'm just not sure i'd want a 'yota piece on my Nissan...lol

Here's the link:
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45293&highlight=rear+axle+vent+mod

Suppose I'll need to upgrade to a Nissan Hose Barb (Breather)! Pardon my indiscreation. :(

First I've seen it listed as a M10 x 1 Thread. Knew it wasn't 1/8 NPT. Never compared it to a Metric Machine thread, thought it was a British Pipe Thread. Thanks for the correction! Many had problems trying to use a standard hose barb from the hardware store, now we know why for certain. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure on the metric or the straight but I picked up another one as I was at auto zone at the time getting my gear oil and I was running out of time. So I picked up another 1/8 MPT and this time it went in. I know its not a "yota" but down the road I will get the nissan part and redo it, should be quick to change out. Too tired to do anything right now as I lost sleep over this LOL.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts