Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get the Cooper Zeon LTZs today, and Discount Tire's Manager talked me out of them and into some Nittos. I upped to 305/55 20s. So far I like them, but my gas mileage has suffered. I only got 12 coming home and I've been getting 14. More tire on the road, probably.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Looks good. Ive been thinking of the Coopers myself but Nittos looks kool as well.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
yeah, my gas has suffered too. i'm in the 12s now myself. but i love the grip of these tires!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Looks aggressive and meshes well with your theme. Very nice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Glad you posted that dude! I was looking at the exact tire for my 09LE BT 4 x 2 it’s even white too- so I can really see what my truck would look like. Looks like tons of room around the wheel so pop’s was right they won’t rub (not that I ever doubted pops). They look sweet! Have to ask- did you loose any performance from what you can tell (10lbs heavier per tire)?

Also, if you happen to be a tail pipe tip kind of guy I posted some pics of my truck with a new 4 ½” tip and since they are the same truck (basically) you can see what your would look like with a tip.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you posted that dude! I was looking at the exact tire for my 09LE BT 4 x 2 it’s even white too- so I can really see what my truck would look like. Looks like tons of room around the wheel so pop’s was right they won’t rub (not that I ever doubted pops). They look sweet! Have to ask- did you loose any performance from what you can tell (10lbs heavier per tire)?

Also, if you happen to be a tail pipe tip kind of guy I posted some pics of my truck with a new 4 ½” tip and since they are the same truck (basically) you can see what your would look like with a tip.
I have the 1.5" PRG spacer in the front and I don't think they would have fit without it. We had to cut a bit of the stock mud flap off as well, but it was a small piece inside unnoticable.

As for performance, I've lost 2-3 MPG which I knew I'd lose some, but it's a bit more than I expected. Of course I'm going from a P to an LT and 275/60 to 305/55 so I know I should expect to pay more for gas. I am going to change to the gas saver tune in a few as well as the gas saver pedal and see if I can get 1 of those back.

As for grip, I've been surprised and not in a good way. They keep slipping on the dry pavement. I'm hoping that it's just a wear-in thing and that they'll grip better as they get used. I made a hard left and right this morning and the backend felt splashy. They will definitely take some getting use to.

Overall... Love the look, but not so much on performance. We'll see if it gets better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the 1.5" PRG spacer in the front and I don't think they would have fit without it. We had to cut a bit of the stock mud flap off as well, but it was a small piece inside unnoticable.

As for performance, I've lost 2-3 MPG which I knew I'd lose some, but it's a bit more than I expected. Of course I'm going from a P to an LT and 275/60 to 305/55 so I know I should expect to pay more for gas. I am going to change to the gas saver tune in a few as well as the gas saver pedal and see if I can get 1 of those back.

As for grip, I've been surprised and not in a good way. They keep slipping on the dry pavement. I'm hoping that it's just a wear-in thing and that they'll grip better as they get used. I made a hard left and right this morning and the backend felt splashy. They will definitely take some getting use to.

Overall... Love the look, but not so much on performance. We'll see if it gets better.
mmmmmm thanks man. yea I was afraid of the performance/handling thing- I never take mine offroad so for me those tires would just be for looks(and they look good) when going up a boat rimp sometimes I spin but it's not a big deal.... I was looking at the coopers as well- stock size.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have prefaced this by saying the Goodyear's are a very soft tire. That's why they wear so fast. There's no way to get the same traction and handling without continuing to use a softer tire. I knew going to a harder more durable tire that I would lose both MPG and handling. My problem is how I drive, not what I drive on. I'm way too aggressive and need to take a step back and realize that going 80 MPH and going 65 MPH only gives me an extra few minutes. That's the other reason why I'm re-tuning my truck here in a few minutes. I gotta calm down.

So, the only way you are going to get the same response and handling out of your truck is to keep the same size and same rating, however, you'll continue to burn through the tires at a faster rate.

No, I'm not calling Discount Tire today and asking to switch tires. At least not yet. i'm going to see if I can get my MPG back up a little with the tune. If not, maybe I might call Discount Tire back and say, "Oh woe is me and my poor gas mileage." LOL

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks pretty good. mpg's are always gonna suffer. not much you can do there cept try and keep the foot off the gas
That's my next mod. Placing a block of wood between the floor and pedal :thumbsup-big:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
238 Posts
okay now you have had these for a little while- what do you think????? Any road noise?? I'm really lookin to get these but I HATE road noise!! Please let me know kind sir :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry to hijack your thread here, bstitan do you have any type of lift on your truck and whats the brand name of your wheels

·
Registered
97 Posts
sorry to hijack your thread here, bstitan do you have any type of lift on your truck and whats the brand name of your wheels
I have a level. They are Rockstars. They're coming off in a week as I am doing a 6" inch. Heres' the new shoes....
my new rims and tires 3.jpg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
okay now you have had these for a little while- what do you think????? Any road noise?? I'm really lookin to get these but I HATE road noise!! Please let me know kind sir :)
How do I hate these tires. Oh let me count the ways. I brought my receipt in to work today and I'm calling Discount Tire to see what if anything can be done. If they can't do anything, I'll be putting them up for sale. I have 1400 miles on them and all 1400 miles have been pure hell since I dropped $1500 on all four of them in February. Road noise? Nope. Not much, if any. He didn't lie about that. Grip? OMFG no way. I slip at every intersection applying the gas gently. That's on dry pavement. Since we are in a drought, I don't know what they'd do on wet pavement and I'm not about to find out.

I was looking for some ATs that I could go play with but still get decent performance on the highway. These tires are not them. They are mislabeled. They should be rated as MT, not AT. I'm sure they'll grip like they are stuck on glue in mud, but NOT on the dry pavement. DRY mind you!

Gas mileage? Holy crap! If I baby the truck I can get 12. I was getting 14 before. Look at my Fuelly below and you'll see my mileage is plummeting. If I drive the truck the way I normally drive, 8. No kidding. 8! How am I supposed to drive this truck at all now? If I baby'ed the truck before I was getting 16. Now I have to baby it to get 12. F that. These tires are gone, they just don't know it yet. My problem is how do I sell them, if Discount won't take them back?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts