Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I am experiencing some problems with my Titan and I was wondering if anybody has some insight as to what might be wrong. I haven't been on the forums for a while, so please excuse me if this issue has been talked about in other posts, but I used the search and didn't really come up with anything similar to my situation. So here goes... there may actually be two seperate issues here, so bare with me.

About two weeks ago I started hearing a hum and feeling a vibration between 20 and 50mph, and it is most severe at 30mph or so. The vibration can be felt through the floor board and the gas pedal. It occurs whether I am on pavement, or in mud, so not from my knobby tires on the pavement. My friend just had a wheel bearing go bad on his truck and it felt really similar to what was going on with my truck. The vibration varies in frequency with speed, and it occurs regardless of whether I am on the gas or on the brakes. I passed it off as a wheel bearing starting to go bad, but I haven't had time to get the truck into the shop and verify that it is in fact a wheel bearing causing this problem. That is the first issue I am having, and I am fairly confident it is a wheel bearing; however, I mentioned it anyway just in case it might be related to the more serious problem I recently started experiencing.

Over the weekend, I took the truck out to the woods for some hunting, and on the way home while I was on the highway I was behind someone going about 50mph, I pulled out to pass and floored it, as soon as the truck downshifted and the rpm went to about 3500, I felt a loss of power and the truck started to shudder. The rpm was jumping around at 3500-3800 and the entire truck was shaking violently. I let off the gas slightly, then gave it about 1/2 throttle and pulled past the guy in front of me. I knew immediately that something wasn't right, but I wanted to be sure of what just happened. After taking my exit onto a new highway, I was rolling at about 30mph and I floored it, and the same thing happened. The rpm was jumping around 3500-4000, I was getting no power onto the road, and the truck began to shake violently. I let off the gas and limped the remainder of the 5 minute drive home. I checked the tranny fluid and it was pink with a slight brownish tinge, and there was a slightly funny smell to it. I had the tranny serviced at 60k miles, and I currently have 85k miles on the truck. Unfortunately at my house there is no level ground to park the truck so I couldn't get an accurate tranny fluid level. I took the truck out for a drive the next morning to get a better idea of what is going on. From a dig at WOT the truck shifts perfectly and there is no sign of a problem. During normal driving any time when you are less than 3/4 throttle there is no sign of a problem. I was only able to re-create the problem while rolling in drive and then flooring it at 3/4 throttle or more. The truck downshifts and then the loss of power and shaking of the truck occurs when you are really heavy on the throttle. Acceleration and shifting from a roll at half throttle or less is normal. When the shaking occurs, the truck doesn't want to go above 4k rpm or so. When in neutral the rpm will climb instantly up to 6k with a bit of throttle, and I can go right up to 6k and everything will shift normally from a dig. There is no classic "slipping" of the tranny where the rpm climbs but no power is going to the wheels. When going WOT from a roll, the rpm starts jumping and the shaking is so severe that I don't dare keep on the throttle afterwards to see if the tranny starts slipping and the rpms climb.

I have made an appointment with the stealership tomorrow. I'm hoping that my tranny and torque converter are still intact. My truck is a 2005 Titan LE 4x4 OR BT with 85k miles. My truck is mostly stock, and all mods are listed in my signature. Any advice on what might be going on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
* update *

Took the truck into the stealership and I did in fact have two seperate issues. The bad shudder at WOT was caused by a broken rear transmission mount, and the vibration that varied with speed was caused by a failing front u-joint. Got the u-joint fixed and the tranny mount ordered in and will install it this weekend. Good to have the ol' girl back up and running again :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
good to hear man

1 - 3 of 3 Posts