Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 08 titan for about 5 years now and read all sorts of forms never pointing to a solution every winter I have to jump the truck in the morning put 3 different batteries in it new alternator and new starter never made any difference it's not parisitic drain when it's warm 40+ no problems starts fine this morning was about 35 out and I turned the key on watched the volt meter go to normal range and then slowly drop to about 11.5 when I get in in a cold morning and just hit the key to start I can turn it over about 8 cranks and click battery dead and the battery that's in it is about 4 months old something is definitely drawing massive power when it's cold but once the truck is jumped and warms up it will start up just fine until it gets cold again just tired of jumping it every day any suggestions

· Registered
19 Posts
Had my 08 titan for about 5 years now and read all sorts of forms never pointing to a solution every winter I have to jump the truck in the morning put 3 different batteries in it new alternator and new starter never made any difference it's not parisitic drain when it's warm 40+ no problems starts fine this morning was about 35 out and I turned the key on watched the volt meter go to normal range and then slowly drop to about 11.5 when I get in in a cold morning and just hit the key to start I can turn it over about 8 cranks and click battery dead and the battery that's in it is about 4 months old something is definitely drawing massive power when it's cold but once the truck is jumped and warms up it will start up just fine until it gets cold again just tired of jumping it every day any suggestions
First thing I would do is check the cable connections, especially both ends of the negative side. They should be clean and shiney with no black color to them. If all good there and you know it’s going to be cold enough to create the problem, try disconnecting one battery cable for the night. Then in the morning reconnect it and see if the problem still exists. If not, you know you have a connection problem or a bad cable or cables. This is how I fixed my 2006, years ago with the same problem, when I lived in New England.

· Registered
19 Posts
Did you find the problem and fix it? Be nice to know……

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet replaced negative cable stock is pretty small ordered new fusable link for the positive side also ordered new battery connectors and starter relays highly doubt any of that is going to fix anything and I'm sure not going to the dealership as it seems everyone who goes there ends up replacing the ipdm and still having the same issue also I wanna take out the ecm this weekend and look inside for any cold solder points as I saw someone had that problem I love the truck but hate it in the winter will keep posted with what I figure out

· Registered
19 Posts
Next time it occurs try heating the IPDM with a hairdryer or other heat source and see if it starts. If not, heat the ECU as well and see if it starts. If it starts from heating either one, you found the source of the problem. Also, check the positive fusible link near the battery as a lot of folks have had that as the problem. You will probably need to open and peel back the wiring bundle cover to see it.

· Registered
19 Posts
Sorry! Didn't see the full response you had. I hope you tried heating the components prior to purchasing anything. The IPDM or the ECU can be replaced and still have the same problem. Heating each one separately will give you a better idea of which is causing the problem and it could be a combo of both. I wish you luck!!!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried heating before didn't make any difference BUT I found a solution at least to my problem I've looked at alot of dual battery setups and just happened to have a spare good battery so I changed the battery ends and installed a new fusable link don't really think that made any difference due to the ends still where good just didn't have the marine posts and the fusable link looked fine with absolutely no corrosion, so I installed a dual battery setup and now it starts everytime no matter how cold even after 3 days of not starting it in cold weather, I can tell there's still a draw somewhere as it doesn't spin after a cold day like it does after just turning the truck off, not exactly the repair I was hoping to do but I suppose it's alot cheaper than a ipdm or emc considering I already had a spare battery and an old set of 500 amp inverter cables

1 - 7 of 7 Posts