Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 titan, stock, no aftermarket upgrades or remote starters. I will try and keep this short.

I have replaced the starter in the past. I was having starter issues. Ordered a brand new one and replaced it. In the process I accidentally shorted my battery by means of my ratchet and my wedding ring causing a partial thickness burn as my wedding band as it was almost red hot. After a trip to the ER, I drove the truck home. It ran rough as I did not reconnect the vacuum hose. Later I reconnected the vacuum hose and toke it for a drive. There were no issues.

I went to start the truck 3 days later and the battery was dead. I tried jumping it and the donor battery was starting to smoke, and yes the jumper cables were connected properly and they are a good set with thick gauge wires. Bought a new battery. Installed it and the truck did not start.

I am now waiting to receive and install a new fusible link, just in case due to known corrosion issues. In the mean time, I left the battery connected and in the truck. 2 days later I went to take the battery out to charge it. It will not charge on either of my chargers. A digital voltage meter shows 0v, and it looks like there is a small amount of lead melted off of the negative terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Morrell

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2006 titan, stock, no aftermarket upgrades or remote starters. I will try and keep this short.

I have replaced the starter in the past. I was having starter issues. Ordered a brand new one and replaced it. In the process I accidentally shorted my battery by means of my ratchet and my wedding ring causing a partial thickness burn as my wedding band as it was almost red hot. After a trip to the ER, I drove the truck home. It ran rough as I did not reconnect the vacuum hose. Later I reconnected the vacuum hose and toke it for a drive. There were no issues.

I went to start the truck 3 days later and the battery was dead. I tried jumping it and the donor battery was starting to smoke, and yes the jumper cables were connected properly and they are a good set with thick gauge wires. Bought a new battery. Installed it and the truck did not start.

I am now waiting to receive and install a new fusible link, just in case due to known corrosion issues. In the mean time, I left the battery connected and in the truck. 2 days later I went to take the battery out to charge it. It will not charge on either of my chargers. A digital voltage meter shows 0v, and it looks like there is a small amount of lead melted off of the negative terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Morrell
Unfortunately, it soundsl8ke you melted some plates inside the battery. it Won’t take or hold a charge when that happens. You may have also damaged the alternator Along with the fusible link. Tough lesson to learn never wear jewelry when working with any electricity. Let us know how you make out With it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I found out the old starter has a bad ground and works now. The new starter has been tested and it does not work, and I will be sending it back. My guess is that the new starter is bad, has a short, which has drained the battery on me. I talked to my mechanic friend and he suggests that you buy remanufactured parts instead of new parts. The reason is a new part is manufactured on an assembly line and then packaged. A remanufactured part is taken apart, fixed, and tested by one person. Plus if there is any upgrades to be made, that will be done too.
Morrell

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I found out the old starter has a bad ground and works now. The new starter has been tested and it does not work, and I will be sending it back. My guess is that the new starter is bad, has a short, which has drained the battery on me. I talked to my mechanic friend and he suggests that you buy remanufactured parts instead of new parts. The reason is a new part is manufactured on an assembly line and then packaged. A remanufactured part is taken apart, fixed, and tested by one person. Plus if there is any upgrades to be made, that will be done too.
Morrell
Great news! Glad you got it without spending astronomical amounts of cash. Thanks for the update!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts