Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys. I just got done talking with the body shop manager at my dealer. He is the one that basicly did the repairs on my truck from the cracked battery. I am very pleased with the care and lengths gone to by him to correct this. I want to give all a warning to keep an eye on the battery hold down area of the battery. He feels it is a design flaw, and is documenting it, and sending all info to Nissan. It seems that there is so much presure put on the battery at the hold down point, in makes it drop almost 3/4 inch in the tray! That is where my battery let go, and he feels it will be an ongoing problem. He had to pull my grill, headlight assembly, fender, air conditioning, and front rubber bushings to do the complete repair. The frame had to be neutralized, coated, and repainted. A wiring harness had to be replaced, as well as a brake line, and inner fender. It was a real mess, so keep an eye on your battery area. He dislikes the set up so much, if Nissan will give him the ok, he is going to fabricate his own hold down system for my truck. I feel very lucky to have a guy show so much concern with making my truck right again, this could have been done as a quick fix if they had wanted to, and I probobly would not have been the wiser!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to my battery at all, but I will now. I'm sorry for all the trouble you had to go through but I'm glad you shared it with the rest of it. Maybe I will go ahead and throw that optima yellow top thats been sitting in my garage collecting dust into the Titan. It's a little shorter than the factory battery, maybe it can save me all the heartache you had.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only heartache I have had is being without my truck for almost 2 weeks now. I can't say enough for the body shop manager at my dealer, he has really gone above and beyond on this. There was much more damage then I even knew was there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Like I said before, Good thing you found it out now, and NOT later. Your truck was still new enough they didn't think twice about it.

By the way, when you gettin it back? :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
so do you think this was a fluke incident on your truck or should we all look out for this. I hate it , now everyday I am looking at my rearend, breaks, and shocks for damage or failure, now I have to look at my battery to? So far my truck hasnt had any problems(knock on wood), but im worried from all the problems I've been reading about that something might happen. I dont want to have to buy an optima battery because those things are exspensive, but still cheaper then all your repairs. Bixll did your nissan dealer cover this under warrenty? I HOPE!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SMOKEDYA2 said:
so do you think this was a fluke incident on your truck or should we all look out for this. I hate it , now everyday I am looking at my rearend, breaks, and shocks for damage or failure, now I have to look at my battery to? So far my truck hasnt had any problems(knock on wood), but im worried from all the problems I've been reading about that something might happen. I dont want to have to buy an optima battery because those things are exspensive, but still cheaper then all your repairs. Bixll did your Nissan dealer cover this under warranty? I HOPE!!!!
All has been covered under warranty, along with a 04 Dakota loaner. My body shop guy seems to think this is something that could very easily happen to all our Titans. He is pushing Nissan to bring a TSB out on it. He explained how much this will end up costing them if not taken care of, and apparently he has been successful in getting other TSBs done. I would not worry about replacing the battery, this is covered under the 3 year bumper to bumper.

Firecracker, I am supposed to get it back tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
but still, what if they missed some acid somewhere on your truck. you might not find out untill its to late, just a slight dilluted amount in time will eat a hole through your fender or bumper or something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
do you think we can rig up an easy fix to prevent this? fabricate a better mounting surrface out or some aluminum?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
SMOKEDYA2 said:
do you think we can rig up an easy fix to prevent this? fabricate a better mounting surrface out or some aluminum?
I'll tear into mine this weekend and see if I can come up with some ideas, as well.

BiXLL, if your guy builds a new "hold down" system, take some pictures, would ya?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
yeah a piece of aluminum is alot cheaper than battery and defintaly cheaper then damaging your truck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
SMOKEDYA2 said:
do you think we can rig up an easy fix to prevent this? fabricate a better mounting surrface out or some aluminum?
After reading this I may get that plastic battery box that I used in my old boat off my shelf in the workshop :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
BiXLL - I'm having a little trouble trying to picture exactly what you are describing. Did the hard plastic battery case break open due to the fact it was secured too tightly to the tray it is on? So we should check the battery for stress on the hard plastic where it is secured and along the bottom?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Caltitan said:
BiXLL - I'm having a little trouble trying to picture exactly what you are describing. Did the hard plastic battery case break open due to the fact it was secured too tightly to the tray it is on? So we should check the battery for stress on the hard plastic where it is secured and along the bottom?
You got it right on the money. It is where the hold down meets the battery. The tray has absolutly nothing to do with the problem. I have a feeling that in addition to a bad design, I'll bet the bolt was really overtightened, just as the mounting bolts in the overhead consoles were for a while, cracking the overhead consoles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the truck back!


They bent the bracket of the hold down assembly to relieve some of the pressure off the battery. He says he is still not real happy with the set up, but Nissan has not got back to him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
its kinda fun to just beat on rental cars though, its gotta be floored everywhere :!:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SMOKEDYA2 said:
its kinda fun to just beat on rental cars though, its gotta be floored everywhere :!:
Really not a whole lot a fun flooring a V6 Dakota! :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
no tire burning tho? mabye some break tourque's? you had to get some use out of it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SMOKEDYA2 said:
no tire burning tho? mabye some break tourque's? you had to get some use out of it
That sounds like the stuff I did 25 years ago! :roll:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top