Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a post that i thought my squeaking was the power steering pump well i now know that it is my belt so i bought some of that belt dressing and sprayed it on there it would go away come back go away and so on then it would go away and the next morning it would be back so i sprayed more on the belt and it would do the same last night it was gone no squeak this morning i went out and started it and it was there again so i sprayed more and for the most part its gone does anyone know why the belt is doing this or what else i could to ? i keep spraying that belt dressing on it and i wonder if there is a time when it is to much so if this has happened to anyone or you know what to do to fix it please let me know cuz its driving me nuts :sneeze:

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Never use belt dressing, it will cause all sorts of dirt to get stuck in the belt and pulleys, causing wear. Systems are not designed to need Belt Dressing.

Remove your belt, use some brakeleen to clean the pulleys.

Install a new belt.

The OEM is 97.3" long, so many who buy the recommended 97" Belt from the local store, find it is awful tight to get on (I did too). Buy the 97.5" instead. The Part Number will end in xxx975 if a Goodyear Gatorback (personal favorite).

Goodyear cost about $40, but the OEM is only about $15, a real unusual bargain price wise. But, I strongly prefer the Goodyear.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Live and learn, but never use belt dressing on a serpentine belt. You will have a few hours of cleaning to do getting that sticky gum out of all the pulley grooves.

Mine was chirping and clattering at every cold start-up with only 5,000 miles on the odometer. Nissan replaced the belt, and 5,000 miles later, the same noises came back. I then replaced the Nissan belt with a Goodyear Gatorback (97.5"), and all has been quiet for the last few years.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you said it i guess i should have asked first like i was going to do thanks for the heads up i will be looking forward to doing that like you said live and learn

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where did you get the belt at

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was it a v rib or a 7 groove style

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Over three years ago, I bought the Gatorback at Advance Auto Parts for $25, part# 4070975.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so i looked up that part number and found it online it says it does not fit our vehicle but you used it with no problems ? just making sure and when you put it on did you have to do any adjustments to compansate for the belt

·
Registered
3,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok cool i did trust you i cant find the belt around hera advanced auto doesn't carry it anymore i found it online and i didn't want to order it and it be wrong thats why i was double checking thank you for all the help

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
ok cool i did trust you i cant find the belt around hera advanced auto doesn't carry it anymore i found it online and i didn't want to order it and it be wrong thats why i was double checking thank you for all the help
That link I posted has all the info/diagram you need in order to change it yourself.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i read that it was very detailed thank you

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Live and learn, but never use belt dressing on a serpentine belt. You will have a few hours of cleaning to do getting that sticky gum out of all the pulley grooves.

Mine was chirping and clattering at every cold start-up with only 5,000 miles on the odometer. Nissan replaced the belt, and 5,000 miles later, the same noises came back. I then replaced the Nissan belt with a Goodyear Gatorback (97.5"), and all has been quiet for the last few years.
I have a 2008 Flex Fuel and have a noisy belt. Called Autozone and they said it is a different belt than a regular 5.6 and that they don't stock it. Do you know if there is any truth in that??

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the one they have listed in this post is different its a lil bigger and i found it on amazon for like 23-33 for it

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I have a 2008 Flex Fuel and have a noisy belt. Called Autozone and they said it is a different belt than a regular 5.6 and that they don't stock it. Do you know if there is any truth in that??
I never heard of that. My Titan is an FFV, and at the time (2008) I bought the Gatorback, the *****975 was the only one listed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts