Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks. need some advice. I've been reading about various people putting in the Volant and having some resonance issues. I understand that it is the ONLY true cold air intake avail for the titan right now. However, I'm curious to know what performance/MPG gains if any the volant has over say the AEM BruteForce intake which I am seriously considering. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

G

·
I have the Volant, and have not experienced any of the issues I have seen talked about. To be honest, I don't understand how they could have these problems and me not experiencing any of them????? I chose the Volant because I wanted the true cold air intake system. I can not comment on the other offerings, as I have not tried them, but I can say I have been very happy with the Volant.

On a side note, I would not recommend any aftermarket air intake if you don't all ready have an aftermarket exhaust. Adding the intake alone has shown significant loss of low end torque.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm glad I read this post. I was considering an intake as well, but I guess I'll look at exhuast systems first. Thanks BiXLL!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a side note, I would not recommend any aftermarket air intake if you don't all ready have an aftermarket exhaust. Adding the intake alone has shown significant loss of low end torque.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the Banks system right now. Seems to be what I'm looking for...unless you have any other suggestions?

G

·
I don't know how big a hurry you are in, I believe Socal is looking at an exhuast buy in the very near future?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i put my intake on first about 2 months before my exaust, and i noticed no such loss in torque. in fact i could pull better on the highway while towing up hill then i could before my intake. also i was only gettin between 10-11 mpg while towing before the inake and was getting 12-13 after the intake. when i got my exaust my towing power went up again and so did the mileage, went to 14-15mpg while towing. my g-tech meter also showed an improvement in my 0-60 time when the intake went on.
i just find it hard to believe that we would lose torque, my truck didnt. what makes my truck and intake different?

G

·
SMOKEDYA2 said:
i put my intake on first about 2 months before my exaust, and i noticed no such loss in torque. in fact i could pull better on the highway while towing up hill then i could before my intake. also i was only gettin between 10-11 mpg while towing before the inake and was getting 12-13 after the intake. when i got my exaust my towing power went up again and so did the mileage, went to 14-15mpg while towing. my g-tech meter also showed an improvement in my 0-60 time when the intake went on.
i just find it hard to believe that we would lose torque, my truck didnt. what makes my truck and intake different?
I was not trying to be arguementitive, I was just stating what we found on multiple dyno runs.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
BiXLL said:
SMOKEDYA2 said:
I was not trying to be arguementitive, I was just stating what we found on multiple dyno runs.

oh i understand, but the way you state it up there it sounds like our trucks lose power with an intake. when thats not the case, the intake just compliments the exaust nicely and vice versa.

well i just wet into the dyno runs that have been posted and the first one up there is Jettechs old truck. it was dyno'd stock and with a volant intake on it.
stock read 256 HP and 301 lbft
volant read 272 HP and 321 lbft

just curios what dyno you looked at that shows a loss? not trying to start a fight, just curios :idea:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
SMOKEDYA2 said:
oh i understand, but the way you state it up there it sounds like our trucks lose power with an intake. when thats not the case, the intake just compliments the exaust nicely and vice versa.

well i just wet into the dyno runs that have been posted and the first one up there is Jettechs old truck. it was dyno'd stock and with a volant intake on it.
stock read 256 HP and 301 lbft
volant read 272 HP and 321 lbft

just curios what dyno you looked at that shows a loss? not trying to start a fight, just curios :idea:
Ok, let me throw my .03 cents in here to help clarify things.

Smoke, the dyno numbers you qouted are not completely accurate, the 256 I had was when the truck was new. When I did the Volant test the truck had about ~8K miles (I think) and it dynoed around 265 if I remember correctly without the Volant. With the Volant it came in at the 272 you saw on the dyno sheet. What the dyno didn't show was the "softness" I experienced below the dyno chart readings. This is what Bixll is referring to. So in reality you both are right.

When the Volant group buy started we both were concerned with how people would react to this softness that is typical of just a Volant installation. Thus the thread I started warning people of a Volant "only" install.

Just as our trucks get different mileage and put down different dyno numbers, they will react different to the Volant only install. I'm glad yours did well and provided extra gas mileage, but I do think your truck reacted in a different way then most I've read about and seen dyno runs on.

So to summarize this long winded post, you both are correct and I'm glad yours (smokedya2) reacted like it did. I hope this helps...

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think the whole "true CAI" opinions are just that. I had a HKS open filter design intake on my RX7 Turbo II and it generated 1-2 PSI more than with the stock w/k&n filter. And believe me, the RX7 gets extremely hot, very hot under the hood and air does not circulate in there. Now I know it sucked in major hot air, but why was I getting more boost and better throttle response and top end power?

Regarding the AEM which I have in my Titan, after driving around for 20 minutes in 70 degree weather in the city with stoplights I stopped to check on how hot the tube got. Guess what I found? The tube was not even warm, only at the throttle body portion was it slightly warm. The plastic engine cover was a lot warmer than the tube. Anyways, the AEM gave me better throttle response and seems to pull better at the upper end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts