Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best way to increase my mpg and if it is with a chip which ones are the best for the money? same with air intake systems...cold air intake or regular intake? don't want to waste money....thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
lol buy a hybrid....
seriously though, not a whole lot you can do. intakes are expensive but i personally have gained 2mpg since my install many months ago. i think bullydog might have a fuel saver setup but not sure if they do for our truck. your going to throw decent amounts of money on parts and get very little in return as far as mpg goes. its a thirsty v8, as all others are, and its always going to suck the gas. btw, welcome to CT

·
Registered
83 Posts
fold in your mirrors while driving... lol:3d_049:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Check out the thread "Tow mode saves gas." I run tow mode most of the time and I get about 1 mpg better. Other than that, there is not much else you can do. A Titan is not an economy car, but its lighter weight should give better mpg than the competition, especially Toyota.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Check out the thread "Tow mode saves gas." I run tow mode most of the time and I get about 1 mpg better. Other than that, there is not much else you can do. A Titan is not an economy car, but its lighter weight should give better mpg than the competition, especially Toyota.
hmmm...ill have to try that

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
All tow mode does is hold upshifts in the first 3 gears. If anything, common since would say just the opposite should be true..you should be getting WORSE mileage since you're reving much higher than needed in those gears. Tow Mode does absolutely nothing else. Probably some sort of placebo effect.
There's nothing you're gonna do that's gonna give you 20 MPG in these trucks. Even the new updated trucks today don't get those numbers. You just have to keep off the gas as much as possible and/or buy a 2nd vehicle for commuting. I have the BullyDog tuner and I get not mileage changes at all. But my 01 5 spd Bug gets 34 MPG! lol

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you want a cai for cheap and get good performance I would get a s&b there way under 300 and you gain some mpg and hp

·
Registered
317 Posts
All tow mode does is hold upshifts in the first 3 gears. If anything, common since would say just the opposite should be true..you should be getting WORSE mileage since you're reving much higher than needed in those gears. Tow Mode does absolutely nothing else. Probably some sort of placebo effect.
There's nothing you're gonna do that's gonna give you 20 MPG in these trucks. Even the new updated trucks today don't get those numbers. You just have to keep off the gas as much as possible and/or buy a 2nd vehicle for commuting. I have the BullyDog tuner and I get not mileage changes at all. But my 01 5 spd Bug gets 34 MPG! lol
i lock out 5th until about 65 or so which puts me at about 2k rpm. normally, in D, it will shift to 5th and lock out the TC by 40mph...meant to save gas. funny cause, when i lock 5th out, i get better mileage by nearly 1mpg. i could see the lower gears having the same affect. maybe these engines dont like low rpms......

·
Registered
215 Posts
i lock out 5th until about 65 or so which puts me at about 2k rpm. normally, in D, it will shift to 5th and lock out the TC by 40mph...meant to save gas. funny cause, when i lock 5th out, i get better mileage by nearly 1mpg. i could see the lower gears having the same affect. maybe these engines dont like low rpms......
If the TC lockup clutch bogs the engine down, it will require more throttle input to unlock it so you can go faster thus using more fuel. That's probably why you get better mpg locking out the TC. On my '05, I have 2.94's and if I'm light on the throttle and keep it under 1500 rpms when cruising on the freeway, my mpg is actually pretty good. By pretty good, I mean the best I can get out of this truck. Anything higher will consume more fuel when cruising. At 60 mph, I'm at 1450 rpms.

Keeping it under 2k rpms when driving around town is hard because the TC seems to flash at about 2000 rpms. Unless the road is perfectly level or on a downslope and/or with a strong tail wind, it's almost impossible to keep it under 2k until it upshifts.

A hard tonneau cover will help to improve mpg, but the added weight with some of the fiberglass models offset any fuel savings you might get from using one. However, I have noticed that my truck doesn't seem to be fighting the wind as much as it did before I got the cover. Pumping up the tires to a higher PSI will help lower rolling resistance thus improving fuel economy. The Armada air dam swap on the '04-'07 models is another item that can improve mpg. However, no matter what you do, you're not going to get any real noticeable change in MPG if you already drive it like a granny.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If the TC lockup clutch bogs the engine down, it will require more throttle input to unlock it so you can go faster thus using more fuel. That's probably why you get better mpg locking out the TC. On my '05, I have 2.94's and if I'm light on the throttle and keep it under 1500 rpms when cruising on the freeway, my mpg is actually pretty good. By pretty good, I mean the best I can get out of this truck. Anything higher will consume more fuel when cruising. At 60 mph, I'm at 1450 rpms.

Keeping it under 2k rpms when driving around town is hard because the TC seems to flash at about 2000 rpms. Unless the road is perfectly level or on a downslope and/or with a strong tail wind, it's almost impossible to keep it under 2k until it upshifts.

A hard tonneau cover will help to improve mpg, but the added weight with some of the fiberglass models offset any fuel savings you might get from using one. However, I have noticed that my truck doesn't seem to be fighting the wind as much as it did before I got the cover. Pumping up the tires to a higher PSI will help lower rolling resistance thus improving fuel economy. The Armada air dam swap on the '04-'07 models is another item that can improve mpg. However, no matter what you do, you're not going to get any real noticeable change in MPG if you already drive it like a granny.
you gotta remember though....the newer models are dogs for acceleration (especially the 2010s). when cruising around town, i gas it to 2k and it stays there till it shifts. my T loves the 2k mark. anything above 2k i really have to put my foot down. the TC does still lock out in 4th which bogs the engine down. its just set at different ratio then OD is, in which providing better acceleration. by 65mph(when i lock out OD), i sit at 2k rpm. if i unlock OD, it then shifts to 5th then TC lockout and puts it down to 1400rpm on the mark keeping my power. under 1400rpms, i pretty much need to gas it hard and unlock the TC to get up to speed. that kills my MPG. lets put it this way..at 40mph in D and w/ the TC locked, i am sitting at 1k rpm. IMO that is WAY too low lol. anyways, to OP...over time you will figure out what your truck likes best and how to get good mpg by driving habits.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I didn't mean to start the argument again -- its well debated in the other thread. Whether it makes sense or not, it does work.

·
Registered
756 Posts
^^^Agreed^^^cant explain it for the life of me but somehow it just does.

·
Registered
334 Posts
try driving downhill or with a tailwind or both that helps alot!!! sorry man that the only thing that works for me. superchips cortex has a fuelsaver setting I have tryed it but it gave me one or two mpg at best. If I drive like granny I can get16.5 so I can live with that Had a diesel Isusu 2.2 years ago that baby gave me 35 and 40 It's all in theright foot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts