Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a big puddle of oil in my garage this weekend. It was finally warm enough that I park my truck out on the drive way. My wife went to the garage and saw a big puddle of oil where I usually park my truck. Took my truck in this morning. Looks wet around the transfer case. Not a good thing. BTW, it ia a 4X4 2005 Titan SE. They put my truck on a lift and I got to take a quick look and it seems that it is around the transfer case. Won't know until this afternoon when a mechanic takes a look at it. Now I am thinking .... my checking account is going to hurt a lot and there goes my new computer.
This really sux.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got a call from the dealership. It is the front axle seal in the 4X4 drive. The parts are cheap but the labor is not. They said they have to remove the front axle to get to the seal. Probably going to cost anywhere between $250 to $300. Not as bad as I thought, but still a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Isn't it just 8 bolts/nuts (4 each side) to remove the front DS?

The 300 may seem a little high but you have to remember, it is the dealer so their labor rate is higher then most independents.

If you had the time, tools and patience you may be able to do this in your garage but its a lot simpler having the dealer do it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the tools to do it and besides I don't like messing with mechanical work in the cold weather. The labor is about $200 and the rest is parts and oil.
Beside I have no idea on how to work with the front axle on a 4X4. It is leaking from the seal in the front transfer case where the drive axle is connected. Don't know how to describe it.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
sounds more like another C clip let go on the front final drive then it does a seal to me. That puddle of oil is exactly how I found out mine was bad.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ditto

I was thinking the same thing^

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know anything about the C clip. Any link?
It was a very slow leak. What I think could have happened also, was that I was driving down a highway and the truck in front of me dropped a large piece of ice. I tried to straddle the ice but I hit it. Not sure which part of the truck the ice hit. A week later is when I found the leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts