Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My repair shop (dedwood) bled his brakes today and I felt it made such a difference I had him bleed mine too.

He has a KC and had the brake judder TSB done in December. I have a CC and haven't had the judder yet.

We followed the directions (thanx mdinkel) and I think it firmed up the pedal.

Appears that there were bubbles in the rear brakes. Fronts were OK.

I'll let dedwood fill ya in on what he found. All I did was pump the brakes since I just got off crutches last Wednesday.

p.s. Follow the directions exactly!!! We tried bleeding just the rears on mine and tripped the SLIP light when starting it up, so re-bled all entirely and dedwood thinks mine are better than his now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Glad it helped you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2 cents

Thanks to Mdinkle for the info, it was just what I needed.

I purchased a quart of Dot 3/4 Low Moisture Absorption (LMA) from the local NAPA store. My personal favorite is Castrol LMA but any quality fluid will do. I used a brake bleeding kit that I've owned and used for over 10 years that was purchased through MAC tools. It's important to have at least a few inches of clear vinyl tubing so you can see the fluid leaving the caliper/cylinder your working on for air. I proceeded to the driveway and dove into my truck.

I disconnected the ABS unit from the harness.

Starting with the RR, I saw at least two good sized bubbles pass after the second pump.

Went to the LF- nothing.

LR produced a bubble, again after the second pump.

RF- nothing.

Of course I replenished the fluid after every corner. Reconnected the ABS and started the truck. Immediately I felt the pedal a little higher, but more importantly the pedal height remained consistent, which is what set my alarm off originally about the possibility that air might be in the system.

Test drive: now this is what I thought the brakes would feel like! No more mushiness and stops occur with less pedal pressure.

Just an idea,, could the air in the rear brakes reduce caliper piston pressure? -Yes, air is more compressible than fluid. Could the front brakes have to be squeezed even more to stop the truck? Yeah. Could more heat built up by the front brakes cause the rotors to distort? You bet.

Let's start a poll.

Do your brakes feel great?, Not mushy? Bet you don't have the brake judder problem- or ?

Brakes feel mushy, lots of pedal pressure to stop? Bet you have the brake judder- I did.

Maybe the brake design was sufficient in design and testing, but improper brake bleeding at the factory created the brake judder problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts