Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 2008.5 crew cab se. it is my first truck. to me, it is a very bouncy/bumpy ride. talking with some guys that own trucks, i guess this is "normal". i mean i understand that the ride is not going to be anything like a car, and the freeways here in socal are terrible as well.

i was going to take it to the dealer just to make sure the tires are all balanced and everything is good in that regards.

i also thought i read somewhere here that someone changed out the rear shocks to bilsteins and that really smoothed things out. anyways, any input or thoughts would be much appreciated

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
I'll guess you probably have a normal ride, but if you want confirmation, let us know exactly where you are and I'll bet someone on here will be able to meet up with you for a ride comparisson.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yea were in Socal are you and what freeway do you drive cause like you said some of them a terrible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i mostly drive the 5, 405, and 710. 710 is really crappy! anyways, its not like the steering wheel is shaking or vibrating, just a lot of bouncing around. if i look in the rearview mirror i can see the bed hopping up and down

·
Registered
675 Posts
yea the 710 is crappy. I was looking on here and I found a mod that some guys have done for traction and it will help with wheel hope and freeway driving.
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=714 page five I think is where someone talks about it helping with wheel hope and the washboard affect. Hope this helps. good luck. oh yea and it coast very little.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
if I remember before I lift it my truck, it felt like a caddy. Not only I athough but how ever rode on it agree that it rode real smooth, compare to other trucks...

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
my rear end is pretty bouncy too....i think for the most part it is normal....if i'm going over some small bumps all in a row it feels like the lowrider hop...ya you should be fine, mine bounces too and i have had no problems

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i am glad to see this post causei was worried my truck was messed up. the dealer told me it was normal too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went to the dealer and drove another titan just for peace of mind. it rode the same as mine. i guess i just have to get used to how a truck rides. anyways i still think i am going to try to replace the rear shocks and see if that improves anything. but that probably won't be for some months.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The Titan does ride a little bouncy, if its a real problem for you try adding some weight into the bed, maybe two or three sand bags.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The bouncing is from the expansion joints on the freeway. I think since the cab and bed are separate it causes a lot of movement.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The rear end of my Titan was real jittery over bumps on the street - even with the topper on (180 lbs). The SAW shocks from PRG seem to have eliminated or greatly reduced that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It seemed like my '08 rode real smooth, like a "Caddy" when it was new. It now has 7000 miles and the ride does seem to be getting bouncy/hoppy.
The other day I had six adults in it and it was riding like the presidential limo! Real smooth.
Anyway I don't know if I'm imaginig things with the ride...hard to think the shocks have changed that much in 7000 miles, but maybe they have, OEM stuff not always the greatest (i.e. factory battery=junk)

08 CC 2wd stocker

·
Registered
144 Posts
I live in Irvine. If you want to meet and ride together, let me know here.

I have aftermarket suspension, but have been a pickup owner since 1979. I can tell you if your truck os OK or abnormal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The bumpy ride on the SoCal freeway is normal...put about 100 lbs of sand/gravel near the tail gate and it will reduce that bumpy ride.

If you want a really bumpy ride...try driving in a Chevy Crewcab with nothing in the bed...I had one and the wheelbase is about the same distance as the freeway expansion joints...it rode like a rocking horse. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
215 Posts
mister burns said:
It seemed like my '08 rode real smooth, like a "Caddy" when it was new. It now has 7000 miles and the ride does seem to be getting bouncy/hoppy.
The other day I had six adults in it and it was riding like the presidential limo! Real smooth.
Anyway I don't know if I'm imaginig things with the ride...hard to think the shocks have changed that much in 7000 miles, but maybe they have, OEM stuff not always the greatest (i.e. factory battery=junk)

08 CC 2wd stocker
I've got the same problem with mine, but with a weird twist. On some days, my truck rides nice and smooth almost plush like an '08 model. Then on other days, it rides rough and bouncy like an old '84 Z51 Corvette. It's not the tire pressure because I usually keep on top of that. I don't have any leaks coming from the front struts or the rear shock absorbers. It can't be the outside temps affecting the viscosity of the shock fluid because here in So. Cal, the temps don't get all that extreme in the lower elevation areas. I can't figure it out.

Maybe we have variable rate shocks....the kind that ride rough one day and then ride soft the next.lol!

I wouldn't necessarily call the OEM battery junk. It probably depends on where you live. Very cold temps seem to shorten the life of batteries. However, I still have the original battery in mine and it's never given me any problems. My truck has always started within the first engine crank rotation on the coldest days (low-mid 40's) and even after (a week or two) of not driving it at all. Of course, now that I said that, the battery will probably be dead in the morning.lol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts