Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I cant really even tell what part of the brake system that is.
Its too close but is the line itself leaking?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
That is not a brake hose. It is the cable for the parking brake; there is no fluid in it to leak.
The oily substance looks like differential lube. Check your pinion seal and the axle seals for leaks. The oil has been slung onto the frame from somewhere, it is not a leak at that point.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I too have a weird brake fluid loss problem. Mine happens every time I go to visit my parents for thanksgiving in Tennessee. For the last 2 years when I get into the Knoxville area I start smelling brake fluid. And sure enough it is in my left front wheelwell area and on top of the inner fender. I can never definatively tell where it is coming from. It almost looks like it is coming from under the metal block that has all the lines running to it which is located under the master cylinder. I top it off while there and intend to take it to the dealer when I get back home, then it stops leaking as mysteriously as it started. I know it is more hilly in Tn. and also a higher altitude. but for a year it does not leak until it gets back into Tn. maybe it is just alergic to Tn.

·
Registered
941 Posts
scr38 said:
That is not a brake hose. It is the cable for the parking brake; there is no fluid in it to leak.
The oily substance looks like differential lube. Check your pinion seal and the axle seals for leaks. The oil has been slung onto the frame from somewhere, it is not a leak at that point.
the way its corroding the undercoating you would think its brake fluid? I don't think gear lube would do that? IMO
I'll investigate further.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Here's what I found. It most definitely is the parking brake cable, which obviously can't be leaking. I found on my truck that some grease from the front U-Joint on the driveshaft had flung some grease out onto this area, but nothing for me to be concerned about. My situation looks entirely different, i.e. blobs of grease vs. a thinner 'wet' type of substance on src4usarmy's truck.

Could it be the seal on the back of the transfer case that's leaking? Or if he's 2wd, the tailshaft seal on the transmission.

That would be my guess anyway?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Looks like the transmission seal is leaking a little, but nothing to worry about at this point.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jhromy said:
also looks like its the transmission seal to me, im sure its not a lot of fluid but i would still get it corrected
yeah, i'm going to. anybody got any idea on a cost for something like that? I haven't done anything like that before but if it isn't too hard, I'm sure I can do it, I've done all kinds of vehicle repairs.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
jhromy said:
not under any type of warrenty any more?
Should be, he said he has 39k. And one would think that this would be covered under the 60k Powertrain Warranty?!?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a weird brake fluid loss problem. Mine happens every time I go to visit my parents for thanksgiving in Tennessee. For the last 2 years when I get into the Knoxville area I start smelling brake fluid. And sure enough it is in my left front wheelwell area and on top of the inner fender. I can never definatively tell where it is coming from. It almost looks like it is coming from under the metal block that has all the lines running to it which is located under the master cylinder. I top it off while there and intend to take it to the dealer when I get back home, then it stops leaking as mysteriously as it started. I know it is more hilly in Tn. and also a higher altitude. but for a year it does not leak until it gets back into Tn. maybe it is just alergic to Tn.
Did you ever find the leak? I just now have the same problem coming from oregon to Arizona.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts