Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and found a few posts but nothing overly explicative. My front inner pads were shot at 34,000 miles, down to the metal. I needed new rotors and pads. Outside front pads still looked very good, maybe 75% good. This pattern I have read, in the search, was mentioned by I believe two or three other folks. I have an 06 and I often also tow a 23' toy hauler with 2 Wee Stroms in it. Is this a normal and in my opinion significant issue with this vehicle. If so has anyone found a work around, bigger rotors, calipers etc. Also these pads did not have a wear indicator that would produce the squell that would notify need for pad replacment to save the rotors.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You must really be working your brakes, I also tow a 5000 lb trailer almost daily and have 55,000 miles on my 06 4X4 and still have lots of pad? Is your trailer electric brake set correctly to take the stopping off your truck brakes? this could be your problem

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Different wear amounts between the inner and outer pads would raise a yellow flag for me. They should wear similarly but not necessarily the same. If I'm thinking this through right then worn inners would indicate that the caliper sliders might not be sliding like they should. When you replace the pads be sure to lubricate the sliders with caliper grease (this is a specific type of grease, it is not bearing grease).

I'm at a little over 36K miles on my Titan and the pads are looking good. Probably 50% of the material is still there. It's hard to eyeball it and I'm not going to dismount the calipers just to measure the thickness with a micrometer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just replaced all 4 sets on my 08 at 80K miles and still had some pad left.

·
Registered
26 Posts
put new front slotted/dimpled rotors on my 08 LE at 46,000mi. Noticed a little uneven wear from inner to outer but all pads still had crapload of wear left. I'm at 62,000mi now - rears still factory. I trailer a 20' boat in summer and snowmobiles in winter - no complaints for pad wear here!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 04 front pads went at 35K. Not sure if they wore evenly - had the work done by the dealer. Not happy they wore out so quickly. Brakes on my other non-Nissan vehicles generally last 80K or more, but the Titan is pretty much limited to city driving, so I can see they wouldn't last as long as if I did more highway driving. I know of another person with an 05 and needs new brakes at about 30K miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had an 05 before my 08. Front rotors were trashed at 6000 miles. Dealer put new "updated" rotors on - they were still good when I traded for my 08 at 40k.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Front brakes were replaced at 80K and they still had some meat on them. Inner and outer pads wore evenly. Did new front rotors at 100K. Rear brakes look like they will last forever, still have half the pads left at 105K.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Front brakes were replaced at 80K and they still had some meat on them. Inner and outer pads wore evenly. Did new front rotors at 100K. Rear brakes look like they will last forever, still have half the pads left at 105K.
what year titan? 100k on a set of rotors is amazing. mine were warped at 46,000 +- on my 08

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been noticing some vibrations in my steering wheel on my 08 when i hit the brakes. took it to my local mechanic and we put it up on the lift and noticed the front brakes were still like new at 65,000 miles. apparently my rotors are warped. I pull an 8,000 lb camper with mine and am looking to replace my rotors next weekend.

·
Registered
765 Posts
what year titan? 100k on a set of rotors is amazing. mine were warped at 46,000 +- on my 08
It's an '04. Had the brake fix in '05 @ 13K, and had the front rotors cut @ 80K when I did the pads. Should have replaced everything together @ 80K. The rotor cuts were a waste of money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts