Nissan Titan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
70DATSUN said:
..A moose gooser.
LMAO!! Thats funny!!

I like the big sturdy steel front bumpers with the brush guard, gives the truck attitude and helps protect the truck in any front end collision.

I had an I-beam type steel rear bumper on one of my old pickups and that thing was tough, alot stronger than your run of the mill step bumper, I was thinking of one for the back of my Titan(painted to match of course.).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
ryands650x said:
Did you have to crank up the radflo's to adjust for the weight of that bumper?
Nope, didn't need too. The ride in the front is just a touch softer than it was before. I wanted a very slight rake to it anyway. Now I may have to do something with the additional weight of the winch when I get it.

SoBeGraphics said:
wow reminds me of something out of mad max. definately need bigger rims/tires to balance it all out.
Ya man, I'm looking for tires right now. To truly be worthy of Mad Max, I'll have to install some spikes or something...LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
they stated that Titans do not have enough strength in the frame to mount the bumper, so they cannot design one that's reliable.
---------------------------
WOW! What a bold statement they made.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
kotackchi said:
I asked them couple of months ago and they stated that Titans do not have enough strength in the frame to mount the bumper, so they cannot design one that's reliable.
Kind of sounds like a cop out to me. My winch mount is rated at 12,000 lbs. It is just a winch mount (no grill) but it weighs in at just over 100 lbs. It is secured with 10 bolts, but only 4 of those are on the main frame itself. The other 6 are on the front crossbeam.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
kotackchi said:
I wanted a heavy duty bumper too, but I prefer WARN bumpers without the grill. It looks much better than Buckstop, but WARN doesn't make one for Titan.

I asked them couple of months ago and they stated that Titans do not have enough strength in the frame to mount the bumper, so they cannot design one that's reliable.
http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/images/170/HD_bumper_no_brushguard-lar.gif
The Buckstop is rated for a 16,500 lbs winch, how much stronger do you want it?! It also retained the stock bumper (under the plastic), and I'm sure the boxed frame is strong enough. Sounds like Warn was just making excuses not to produce one for the Titan, too bad I too would have been looking at them.

·
Registered
853 Posts
HRTKD said:
Kind of sounds like a cop out to me. My winch mount is rated at 12,000 lbs. It is just a winch mount (no grill) but it weighs in at just over 100 lbs. It is secured with 10 bolts, but only 4 of those are on the main frame itself. The other 6 are on the front crossbeam.
How much did this set up set you back, if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
For the Winch and Winch Mount I spent a total of $1,100 including shipping. The price of the winch mount seems to have gone up. I don't think mine cost that much. If you buy the winch and mount at the same time they might make you a deal. Here is the thread with my install writeup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dug up the actual e-mail that WARN sent me.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sorry, at this time we do not have plans for a winch mount on the Titan. We did look at the application but with the main structural support so far back behind the actual bumper there was nothing for us to cleanly tie into.

Michael McEwen
Warn Industries Inc.
Technical Customer Service Representative
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Did you retain your factory air bag sensors??? (this was asked on TT about your bumper, thought I'd go straight to the source!)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
54warrior said:
Did you retain your factory air bag sensors??? (this was asked on TT about your bumper, thought I'd go straight to the source!)
I think the air bags work off of deceleration, not impact. The air bags should still work. I wear a seat belt, so I would be happier they didn't go off in an accident (knock on wood). The only thing I had to remove was the original bumper and the factory brackets. The original "real bumper" that is behind the skin is still there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That thing is massive and mean looking....I like it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Apologies for the thread necro, but this seems to be one of the few places to find information on this bumper with the Titan and it shows up reliably in google searches so it seems like a good place for an update.

I've ordered the Buckstop bumper and currently have it sitting waiting to be installed. I took off my stock bumper and found that the 1st crossmember (the one behind the bumper) either no longer includes the eight captured nuts, or my particular truck (2012 Pro-4X) doesn't have them. Buckstop is sending me new lower mounts with a small correction for bolt placement on the tow hook mounts, but when I get them I need to figure out how to get the lower mounts properly attached to my truck.

Since the frame and crossmember are boxed, my initial plan of attack is going to be to try and get a bolt and perhaps a washer in there through one of the oval holes and fish it into place with a coat-hanger and then superglue the bolt into place so it'll stay put long enough for me to thread the mounting bolts through the mount into them.

Does anybody have any ideas how this might be done easier?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
On my '07 the front crossmember was boxed, but as I recall, the ends were open.

For the install of my winch mount, a nut came welded to a length of metal dowel about 12" long. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my '07 the front crossmember was boxed, but as I recall, the ends were open.

For the install of my winch mount, a nut came welded to a length of metal dowel about 12" long. Here is a picture of it.

(Link removed because I'm a scrub with a low post count)
That's a good idea and may work for me if I can get it past the frame tabs. The holes I need to get nuts behind are the the four holes on the right of the wider framed photo. These holes are between two frame tabs that protrude from the frame horns.

I hope the mounts come soon. I'm getting anxious to try this stuff and get the bumper on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the mounts from Buckstop, so I took my front bumper off and went about attempting to get nuts inside the front crossmember. I wasn't successful.

The only way to access the inside of the crossmember is from the holes on the front with the oval one being big enough for the flange nut or a couple holes on the frame behind the crossmember with one being just large enough for the flange nut. From the angles I had, I could get the nuts behind the inboard holes but was unsuccessful with gluing them in place. Ultimately, I took the less preferred route of M10 stainless steel rivit nuts in the holes. From what I researched the pull-out strength isn't horrible, and the design of the lower mounts puts the load on the tab that's bolted where the tow hook bolts.

So I guess we'll see if this holds up in winching. If things start to pull out, I can have the mounts welded to the frame tabs that protrude through the front crossmember.

Oh and @HRTKD, check out the license plate mounted above the car port...

41 - 60 of 61 Posts