Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with the Truxedo Bed Covers, I want to know exacly how secure this cover is. I am a little confused. From what the website leads you to believe, the cover is very secure with a locking tailgate (like the Titan) but part of me is wondering how this can be when the sides are held on with Velcro and the cover itself is made of a soft vinyl type material. Couldn't someone just walk up with a knife and cut right through it and steal the contents or seperate the Velcro on the sides to gain access? Please help. I need reasonable security on a daily basis but I need unobstructed access to the bed for my ATV. Thanks in advance!

G

·
With the cover on and locked in place, the velcro only lifts up at the edges, not enough to get anything through. There is also 2 rigid pieces (aluminum) that are part of the cover running side to side. I guess someone could cut it just right and have an 18" opening front to back, but it could be 18" opening from 1 side to the other. It is not like it would be a real fast slash and go, it would take some time to get it cut open that much.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BiXLL said:
With the cover on and locked in place, the velcro only lifts up at the edges, not enough to get anything through. There is also 2 rigid pieces (aluminum) that are part of the cover running side to side. I guess someone could cut it just right and have an 18" opening front to back, but it could be 18" opening from 1 side to the other. It is not like it would be a real fast slash and go, it would take some time to get it cut open that much.
I see! Thanks BiXLL! Hmmm . . . Decisions, Decisions . . . Have you been happy with yours so far? Do you have the regular or lo-profile one?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am looking at a Summit catalog. They are offering a free tailgate seal with their truxedos. I have ordered mine elsewhere and did not get one of these tailgate seals. BiXLL, or anyone with this cover, do you have one of these and are they nessessary?(sp)

I hate it when you get stuck on a word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
04crew said:
I am looking at a Summit catalog. They are offering a free tailgate seal with their truxedos. I have ordered mine elsewhere and did not get one of these tailgate seals. BiXLL, or anyone with this cover, do you have one of these and are they nessessary?(sp)

I hate it when you get stuck on a word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mine had a seal on it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My last four trucks, spanning 12 years all had soft tonneau covers on them. None were ever vandalized or found to have been disturbed while away from my sight. People will just walk by and not even be curious as to what's under it. Same as a motorcycle under a cover, nobody will bother to look at what's there. My Titan will be getting one this week.
Also, all of them were mounted on top of the bed and were always dry inside. I'm hesitant to buy one the fits to the inside edge of the bed because the seam is out in the open getting water directly in it and also narrowing the open width of the bed.
Sport Masters and Tek Style make nice covers with the fit I prefer.

Clint

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like my Truxedo a lot, so I'd recommend it. The Truxedo is as secure or more than any other soft cover. They can all be cut open, and once it's cut the cross pieces can be moved apart more than 18". I agree that most people would just pass by without even thinking of looking in there. If they are out to steal something in a parking lot, they'll probably just move on to the next truck without a cover to minimize their risk. Per Clint's comment, it is true the Truxedo narrows the open width of the bed, but I've never had a problem with the seam between the inside of the bed rails and the cover allowing anything into the bed. It makes a good seal now , but maybe the sun will degrade the seal over time, I don't know yet. I think that's more of a style choice, and each person will have their own opinion.

I might be mistaken, but I think the seal that BiXLL is thinking of is just the rubber strip that is part of the cover that runs along the top of the tailgate. I think the seal they are offering for free goes around the sides of the tailgate to seal the gap between the tailgate and the side of the bed. I don't have that seal, but I've never had a problem with water getting in the bed without it. It couldn't hurt though, especially with keeping dust out of the bed if you drive around construction sites or offroad a lot. At the front of the bed near the cab, there will be some small gaps too that could be sealed up with some silicone or something if you are trying to make it ultra-watertight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts