Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

If it is possible, I would like to ask for your professional opinions on the purchase of the listed items... I have read several header install threads, but many of them leave vital information out...I plan on doing the install myself...

I want to purchase cams, headers and high flow cats for my 04 king cab...

If I am correct, Jim Wolfe Technologies is the only manufacturer of performance cams for our trucks... I noticed that there were two cams listed for sale on the nissan titan...I believe it was the S2 and CS2...Are the S2 cams for the Pre-07 titan's??? If correct, I should not have to purchase the performance valve springs unless I am going to high rpms...

I know that Nismo discontinued the Nismo Long Tube Header for our trucks...Based on everyone's hard work and painful mistakes, what would be the best header set-up for low-end torque (if possible)...I live in NC, so this would mean that I have to pass an emissions test...I am looking for a complete set-up from header to dual spin tech mufflers...

Is there a business that would build a complete exhaust system from header to unknown brand muffler install???I can install the mufflers of preference... I need header, o2 bungs and high flow cats to lose my drone and pass emissions test...

Help would be very much appreciated...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Cam/header and high flow cats

Guys,

If it is possible, I would like to ask for your professional opinions on the purchase of the listed items... I have read several header install threads, but many of them leave vital information out...I plan on doing the install myself...

I want to purchase cams, headers and high flow cats for my 04 king cab...

If I am correct, Jim Wolfe Technologies is the only manufacturer of performance cams for our trucks... I noticed that there were two cams listed for sale on the nissan titan...I believe it was the S2 and CS2...Are the S2 cams for the Pre-07 titan's??? If correct, I should not have to purchase the performance valve springs unless I am going to high rpms...

I know that Nismo discontinued the Nismo Long Tube Header for our trucks...Based on everyone's hard work and painful mistakes, what would be the best header set-up for low-end torque (if possible)...I live in NC, so this would mean that I have to pass an emissions test...I am looking for a complete set-up from header to dual spin tech mufflers...

Is there a business that would build a complete exhaust system from header to unknown brand muffler install???I can install the mufflers of preference... I need header, o2 bungs and high flow cats to lose my drone and pass emissions test...

Help would be very much appreciated...
They will not do a visual on your truck. They only do a diagnostic read.

I have the following set up for three year and no problems passing inspection.
Banks exhaust
JBA shortie Headers with Dynatech Powercats flanged on
Stillen B-pipes with high flow cats.
UpRev tuned.

The cams are an expensive install for the gains. You see it in the mid range-at 3500 to 4000 rpms. IF you get them, get the valve spring set as well and header bolts.

Once you do the headers, cats, exhaust, you will need an UpRev tune to really get the power out of them.

I went to Phantasm Motorsports in Raleigh.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have the JBA's with no cats, and Dual spintech it sounds nice! BUT not street legal ...
Stillen makes long tube headers and b pipes with cats.
If I would do it again I would go that route, I don't know anything About the cams but they are really pricey for the gains.
But I would get them because I sana go all out :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have the JBA's with no cats, and Dual spintech it sounds nice! BUT not street legal ...
Stillen makes long tube headers and b pipes with cats.
If I would do it again I would go that route, I don't know anything About the cams but they are really pricey for the gains.
But I would get them because I sana go all out :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
i have jba headers with magnaflow hi flow cats running back to two spintech prostreets. I love my set up personally. I will not pass smog in CA because of visual inspection but should be fine on the sniffer. Cam are pricey but if your gona go all out might as wellget them. UpRev will be a must to get you your best gains and to make sure you are not running to rich or lean. You may also want to look into TruTrack and even a transgo shift kit as well if you are planing on racing.

·
SHIFT_Track_ADDICT
5,141 Posts
i think the doug thorleys are the headers that closely replicate what the nismos offer.. I would definatly get the cams provided you could find a tuner, DO NOT get cams without a way to tune for them. I know on the jim wolf site it says they dont need to be tuned for but that is a load of crap, my truck would barely idle and actually lost 30hp till i was tuned. Also I lived in n.c. for 5 yrs and can vouch for kronos and they never look underneathe the truck if it passes the obd-2 diagnostic the truck passes ( all it looks for is trouble codes) and to see if the o2' sensors are working. Lastly please forget about that muffler setup, the best setup for all out power will always be a straight thru muffler with no baffles or restriction.. with that muffler setup your basicilly negating adding the cams or 2 to 3/10ths of a second at the track..

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have Stillen long tube ceramic headers with their high flow 1st gen b-pipes and the JBA catback exhaust. It is a good set for what I do, but I have heard a lot of good things about Doug Thorleys! To be honest, I would get the Doug Thorleys if I were you. Like Toomny said, spintech would be going backwards from what you want. If you want low end power, high flow mufflers are the way to go. I see you have Superchips, but they say they are only good for short tube headers, so you may want to look in to UpRev, especially for the route you're headed, i.e. cams and long tube headers. Do a little more research here before pulling the trigger. Good luck to you and post a video once they are all installed!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've got Doug Thorley's, hi-flow cats, Gibson cat back, UpRev tuned, no codes and passed Maryland's emmision test!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I need to get magnaflows. :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so heres the deal...

My ultimate goal is to build a steel dream machine.

My goal is to overhaul my heads first. This build would include cams, valve springs, work to valves if required and port and polishing...

I was going to install headers, high flow cats (to pass nc emissions tests) and decent muffler system at the same time... I am hoping this part of the build will not cost me more than 3000.00 dollars...

I'm guessing from the advice received, I will need to rethink the order of things to ensure an Uprev purchase to tune for the headers...

Once this is all complete, I am going to purchase the forged internals required to play with 100 shot of NOS from time to time... I am hoping that the occasional NOS usage will be tolerated by my transmission...I don't mind purchasing a transmission once it becomes warn out...That ECU/TCU problem some of you are experiencing scares me...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is going to sound crazy, but I have no Idea what muffler I am going to purchase...

Every vehicle I have ever owned has had a Flowmaster 40 or Super 44 installed...

I want a great sound, but at the same time I don't want to kill performance...

Kronos, I belive I am going to take a trip out to this shop in the next week to talk to them...Did you purchase Uprev outright or did they utilize Uprev to create a custom tune for your truck after their install...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The first thing I did to my Titan was uprev so I could see what I was at, lean/rich

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doug Thorley Headers # THY-480 $547.00

Doug Thorley Cat Back Exhaust # 83202 $502.00

I would have to purchase two catalytic converters. The catalytic converters should fit in between the headers and Nissan Titan specific catback exhaust.

Maybe (lol)...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Flowmasters kill power. If you really want to build a dream machine, it is going to cost a good bit, but it is not impossible. Many of us here have spent a LOT of $$$ just to get a little more power. Personally, here is what my list would look like if I could do it again in order,

1. UpRev basic tune
2. Truetrac w/ upgraded diff cover
3. Transgo w/ pml pan
4. Dynacat high-flow cat converters
5. JBA exhaust or custom exhaust with a high flow muffler
6. Re-tune (only if you will be running the cats and catback for a while)
7. Doug Thorley headers and Cams (internals)
8. Re-tune

Install NOS last, then tune once more with UpRev. After installing all that you should be a pretty damn quick Titan. If you're trying to go quicker, then boost is in your future, but I hope you have deep pockets. lol

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I alredy spent about 4g's and I still need a retune. ....and another set of really good tires :p

·
Registered
746 Posts
Forget the stillen b-pipes and sign up to get a better made set here...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/118478-berk-technology-b-pipe-interest-group-buy.html

Here is the setup I'd get if I were you...
DT LT headers
BERK Technology B-pipes
JBA CB

UpRev tuning to gain the most out of the above.

So, the BERK cats used Magnaflows? How is that better than the Stillen or Dynacat ones? I'm just curious because I never heard of them before. What price and is there a dyno showing good gains? If so, I'll start saving.

I do agree with the choice of DT headers and JBA CB.

·
Registered
650 Posts
So, the BERK cats used Magnaflows? How is that better than the Stillen or Dynacat ones? I'm just curious because I never heard of them before. What price and is there a dyno showing good gains? If so, I'll start saving.

I do agree with the choice of DT headers and JBA CB.
Read the thread from the beginning and you'll get up to speed...
Yes, they use Magnaflow Metallic Core Cats.
BERK TECHNOLOGY is VERY popular in the sports car world including the 350 and 370 Z as well as a few others. They do incredible work with great attention to detail. They've also worked with Nissan on their 370z exhaust and it turned out amazing!
No price or dyno since they aren't in production yet.

If you're a member on TT sign up for the GB so we can make it happen.

The stillen b-pipes are WAY overpriced and use a ceramic core cat. We needed a better flowing higher quality option at a more realistic price so keep your fingers crossed it'll happen.

·
Registered
144 Posts
swap ur muffler with a Borla pro x5 and add a 3inch pipe after the muffler it sound and rund greatt!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Read the thread from the beginning and you'll get up to speed...
Yes, they use Magnaflow Metallic Core Cats.
BERK TECHNOLOGY is VERY popular in the sports car world including the 350 and 370 Z as well as a few others. They do incredible work with great attention to detail. They've also worked with Nissan on their 370z exhaust and it turned out amazing!
No price or dyno since they aren't in production yet.

If you're a member on TT sign up for the GB so we can make it happen.

The stillen b-pipes are WAY overpriced and use a ceramic core cat. We needed a better flowing higher quality option at a more realistic price so keep your fingers crossed it'll happen.
ahh, got it. Hope it comes out!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts