Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is building video backup system for my truck. Mounting a camera in the back bumper, with the display in the front where the GPS unit would be if I had one. Looks excellent so far, have to wait until it gets warm so he can do what he needs to do with the fiberglass. I'm wanting 2 more cameras, one mounted in the front bumper, and one mounted inside, above the back window, so I can watch the backseat (kids, eventually).

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I am interested about the rear camera installation. When I install the rear wheel chair ramp on my wife's minivan I will need to put in backup sensors or a camera. When your husband gets done with it can you (or he) post some pics and provide more details about the install? Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You guys do know there are license plate cameras out there, as an option? I have one on my Intrepid, and will be installing one for my Titan.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course, but everything that we have looked at as far as the whole system goes is very expensive. He is building the whole thing for under $200, display, camera, wiring, and all.

·
Registered
446 Posts
hurricanefan1 said:
You guys do know there are license plate cameras out there, as an option? I have one on my Intrepid, and will be installing one for my Titan.
What make of camera do you have? I've seen them for around $200, are they good in low light conditions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the CrimeStopper SV-5600, and yes, it amplifies light to see in the dark. It is connected to my Pioneer deck, so I don't have to have a seperate monitor, and has a wire to sense when the car/truck is put into reverse to automatically switch the screen to view the camera.

·
Registered
446 Posts
hurricanefan1 said:
I have the CrimeStopper SV-5600, and yes, it amplifies light to see in the dark. It is connected to my Pioneer deck, so I don't have to have a seperate monitor, and has a wire to sense when the car/truck is put into reverse to automatically switch the screen to view the camera.
Thanks, that's the one I was looking at.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Well I got one of the Crimestopper SV-5600PC cameras and @#@#[email protected]@! it doesn't fit correctly. I think its made for an application where you have a ledge over the top of the plate. Like when the plate is mounted in the middle of a hatch or a car where the plate is below the top of the bumper.

It sticks up approximately 1/2" above the top of the bumper and sits at an angle so that the top is a good 1" or more away from the bumper face. It looks bad for one and a 4 year old could easily grab it and yank it off....so I know it would just be a matter of time before some scumbag swiped it. I'm going to see if I can cut the camera out of the frame and mount it in the center of the plate...

Just thought Id warn anyway anyone thinking of adding backup camera avoid the SV-5600PC.

hurricanefan1 have you tried putting your's on yet. If so did you figure out how to make it fuctional and look good?

·
Registered
76 Posts
llajumpvid is yours a full frame camera, or the single bar camera? I have the single bar, and mine fit perfect, but I haven't wired it up yet, still building the rest of my system. Have you tried to build a small frame out from the license plate to mount the camera to???

·
Registered
446 Posts
I got the full frame deal. I could cut off the bottom to get it level on top but it will stick out too far from the bumper on top. I'm trying to decide what I want to do, either trim the camera out of the plate and mount it in the plate, mount it next to the hatch handle (which would be permanent), or sell the whole plate on ebay and hope to get most of what I paid back. I could return it but the 15% fee plus the cost of shipping and handling both to and from would be about a $70 dollar loss :cry:. Here's a couple of photo's. The top one sort of shows how it will stick up above the bumper, the second one how far it will stick out from the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmm mine does not seem to be that bulky, and it's completely black. Let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmm mine does not seem to be that bulky, and it's completely black. Let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
235 Posts
its just a thought but u no how some companys make that aftermarket 3rd brake light row that goes just under the tailgate and above the bumper, maybe you could build somethin to put it there, just a thought!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hurricanefan1 have you got your camera hooked up yet? would like to see pics of the cam and monitors pic, day and night.
thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not yet, my homies at www.Majestic-Music.net are coming up with some ideas for my camera. Not sure if they are going to mount it on the license plate as designed, or mount in the plastic piece on the tailgate, that discussion is still in the air. I can tell you this, the night time view is clear, it amplifies any light around it. Everything should be finshed by the end of next week, and I will have plenty of new pics of all the mods. If you happen to visit the site my other car is the 1997 Dodge Intrepid, they did top notch work on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For what is worth, here is what I did for a camera that is mounted INSIDE the car (protected from the elements):

I purchase a $69 wireless camera and 5" monitor st from Lowe's. It is intended for monitoring babies and front enterence to the house etc. I logged thousands if miles with it in place -- no problem! Since it is wireless and has an option of using batteries or other power source, there was no major issue of wiring.

The real reason I got it was to monitor my motorcycles inside an enclosed trailer I tow behind me sometimes. Prior to installing the set, I had one unfortunate incident when one of the bikes got loose and I didn't realize it for 100 miles or so... Now I have the camera installed in the trailer and the wireless sends the picture to the small monitor (TV type) in the front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A Titan cc I test drove had a "Framecam" and it worked extremely well,even with very low light.Great field of view.Dealer listed price of camera $1100.I believe cost to purchase one is about half that.A little too obvious to a thief imo.I like the idea of the unicam and putting the camera in the black trim on the tail gate below the handle.Haven't really thought this out though.Or the hitchcam.

http://www.hitchcam.com/

I found the above link from below.
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=30884

·
Registered
267 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts