Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all you computer savy people (I almost wrote "Geeks"). I cannot use the "View post since last visit" link nor can I reply to posts from my work computer. It's a government computer and may have some sort of block or filter on it that prevents this type of activity, but I will be traveling a lot in the next few months and I'd like to be able to stay in touch with what's going on. Right now, I can't.

Help me, please.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
LDOTITAN said:
Calling all you computer savy people (I almost wrote "Geeks"). I cannot use the "View post since last visit" link nor can I reply to posts from my work computer. It's a government computer and may have some sort of block or filter on it that prevents this type of activity, but I will be traveling a lot in the next few months and I'd like to be able to stay in touch with what's going on. Right now, I can't.

Help me, please.
The first thing that comes to mind is that your pop up blocker is on. Try shutting that off and see what happens. I'm not the expert here by any stretch, so if that doesn't work give m4ck a shout. He will surely be able to help you..

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Dont know how to help you there. But I love seeing where everyone is posting from. norfolk nmci navy mil (ring a bell) LOL
m4ck

·
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is very familiar, M4ck. I'm thinking that's my problem. NMCI is very restrictive. Jet, I'm not thinking it's a pop up blocker as I'm able to write the replys and posts, but get an "Invalid Session" error message when I'm done. When I try the view posts link, it says there are no matches to my query, which I know is wrong because I can see there are new posts.

Very aggravating.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What you're describing sounds like a cookie problem ....

PHP sites store a cookie on your computer to perform functions that are unique to you ...

i.e. to view posts since last visit ... it has to know when your last visit was ... etc ...

Try clearing the cookies and cache on your work computer ... and if that doesn't do it ... I suspect that they have disabled cookies on the machine ...

But try that first ... and if it don't work ... then we'll go to work on the govt's computers ... lol

Nobody can get you from a Q Clearance to the Brig faster than I can ... :evil:

:D

·
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill_N said:
Nobody can get you from a Q Clearance to the Brig faster than I can ... :evil:

Thanks, Bill_N. I'll see what I can do, but I'm really not interested in this kind of assistance :)

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Bill_N is exactly correct. CLear them out and reload should fix that.
M4ck

G

·
I am on the road most weekends (this weekend I'm in San Antonio) and I like to keep in touch here. I interface my laptop with my cell phone to access my mail and the internet. It's not very fast but it works and doesn't cost me anything.

·
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would there be a differnt cookie than the one that recognizes me each time I log in? I'll blow them out and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah ... your computer at any given time is liable to have a multitude of cookies in it ...

From a multitude of different sites ...

You know how on a site you can click the box to "remember my login" ...

That's done with a cookie ...

Cookies are also used for "shopping carts" at online stores ... they are used to collect info for webmasters about where you traveled on their site .. etc ...

Sometimes these cookies become "corrupted" and cause problems ....

And it won't hurt anything to wipe them all out as long as you remember your login names and passwords ...

If you use Internet Explorer ... just go to Tools >> Internet Options >> General Tab >> and click the "Delete Cookies" button ... click this button twice ...

Then click the "Delete Files" button ... a popup dialogue box will ask you if you want to delete all offline content ... check that box and tell it "OK" ...

Do this again as well ...

Then click "Apply" and then "OK" ....

Close all open internet browsers ...

Relaunch your browser ... and all should be fine ...

·
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I won't be able to do this until Thursday or Friday, but I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
LDOTITAN said:
Thanks. I won't be able to do this until Thursday or Friday, but I'll give it a shot.
Any time ...

The military does "attempt" to lock you out of certain sites ... and sites operating on non-standard ports ... etc ....

But there are ways around this by just picking up a proxy ...

If that don't fix it ... lemme know ...

·
Registered
870 Posts
LDOTITAN said:

Help me, please.
I wish I could be some help, I use my computer at work(also government) and I don't have any problems. I'll check all my settings when I go in on monday and see if there is anything that sticks out that might be able to help you.

·
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bill_N, I did what you described in your post, but the "General" screen does not have a "Delete Cookies" button. "Delete Offline Files" is there, but nothing about cookies. More help please??!! :x

·
Registered
71 Posts
LDOTITAN said:
Bill_N, I did what you described in your post, but the "General" screen does not have a "Delete Cookies" button. "Delete Offline Files" is there, but nothing about cookies. More help please??!! :x
Hmmmm ....

And we're still looking to avoid that Article 32 Investigation ... right ? :twisted:

What browser are you using ?

Is it Internet Explorer ?

If you don't have a button to delete cookies ... I would imagine it is because your security settings have been set to deny them ...

Let's have a look ...

While viewing the Clubtitan site ...

Goto Tools >> Internet Options >> Security Tab ...

What is the "Security Level" set for this zone ?

Then click on the "Privacy" tab ....

Tell me what level it is on ... "Medium" .. etc ..

While on this tab ...

Click the "advanced" button ...

There will prolly be nothing checked here ...

Try checking the box that says "Override Automatic Cookie Handling" ....

And then check the box that says "Always allow session cookies" ...

Click "OK" ... to close that dialogue box ...

Then click "OK" again to close the next dialogue box ...

Close all open browsers ...

Launch a browser and give it a try ...

·
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I'll try this tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I won't be able to let you know this info until tomorrow afternoon. I do know I'm using Internet Explorer. Past that, I'm clueless.

·
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Bill_N, I am undable to change my security settings. I'm on Medium and can't change it. Had the IT people take a look at stuff and the result we all came up with is that the governing body of Navy computers (NMCI) has blocked the port that this function uses. I have no idea what that means, except that it brings an end to my struggle. Just have to hope that while I'm on travel (which is a lot in the next few months) there is a computer available at the hotel. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
LDOTITAN said:
Well, Bill_N, I am undable to change my security settings. I'm on Medium and can't change it. Had the IT people take a look at stuff and the result we all came up with is that the governing body of Navy computers (NMCI) has blocked the port that this function uses. I have no idea what that means, except that it brings an end to my struggle. Just have to hope that while I'm on travel (which is a lot in the next few months) there is a computer available at the hotel. Thanks for the help.
Whoa ... hold on just a minute ...

You told me about you inability to change the security settings ... but you told me nothing about the privacy tab ... what did you find there ?

Lemme tell ya a joke ...

One day a SR-71 Blackbird pilot was cruising along at 80,000 feet ... and he looks down and sees a 747 going in the opposite direction at 40,000 feet. Well ... feeling just a bit "superior" ... the Blackbird pilot calls down to the 747 pilot and says ... "Hey there fella .... how's the weather waaaaayy down there at 40,000 feet ?" ...

And the 747 pilot responds ... "It is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL !! How's the pay up there at 80,000 ??"

Many folks use the service to obtain impeccable training and then use that training to chase the money in the private sector ...

Your "IT guy" ... may need to stay in the service ... lol

A security setting has nothing to do with a "port" ... (although the use of the term can make you sound like you know what you're doing)

A PC's architecture has about 62,500 ports ... but when you are exchanging info with a site like this ... it is all done on port 80.

If you could not send AND receive info on port 80 ... then you could not even visit this site.

Some folks :twisted: operate sites on non-standard ports to keep prying eyes away ...

For instance ... if this site operated on port 32179 you would access it by using this URL ...

http://www.clubtitan.org:32179/

If no port is specified ... port 80 is assumed ...

Tell me what ya find on the "privacy" tab ...

Trust me ... we can get around NMCI without involving NCIS ...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Tip to solve INVALID SESSION error when posting

I have been having the same "invalid session" error from my work computer. Finally looked for some tips on the internet and came up with the following steps which solved my problem:

With IE running, select "Tools," then "Internet Options"

Click the "Settings" button in the center of the window. When the next window pops up, select "Every Visit to the Page" and then hit "OK"

While still in the "Internet Options" window, choose the "Connections" tab, and then select "LAN Settings" at the bottom. In "LAN Settings" be sure no options are chosen.

Log out of Club Titan then log back in and see if you can post anything. Hope this helps.

·
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, guys. I'll try these next week when I'm back in the office. Currently in San Diego at a hotel computer. Can't do much with the dial up right now. REALLY slow. Maybe later tonight it will pick up.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts