Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We have been lurking here a while seeing what everyone is saying about the Titan. We are looking to purchase in the next week or so a Crew Cab, LE in Red Brawn with the Nav system and Big Tow. We have two questions.

The first is the Off Road Package. Should we add it or not? We are going to use the truck primarily as a second vehicle to tow our current boat (21' bowrider weighing ~5,000#) and the new boat we are thinking of buying (24' bowrider weighing ~7,000#). Our Explorer has done fine towing the smaller boat but would be right at the max tow weight with the new boat. I don't want to tow anything that is at the max weight of any vehicles towing capacity. Would the Off Road Package help anything to the tune of the additional $1,000?

The second question is about a Cap. Should we put one on or not? Those that don't have caps? Do you wish you did have one more than you are glad you don't? Those that do have caps, are you glad you do more than you wish it was gone?? The pro of having a cap would be to allow our two big dogs (a Golden Retriever and a Burnese Mountain Dog) a place to ride if they don't fit into the cab. We both like the traditional look of a pickup without a cap but does it make the truck more functional for those of us that are not using it as a traditional work truck?

We are just trying to get a feel if it is worth the extra $$ and is useful more of the time than it is not....

Thanks for helping us decide. We have been reading this forum and have picked up a lot of important information from everyone already...We will post some photos when we get the new baby home...

JMc

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My personal opinion on the offroad package is that it isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you don't plan to offroad with the truck then I wouldn't get it. You will get the same lower gears with the big tow, and the fog lights are standard on the LE anyways. The only thing your lacking is the 17" wheels, skid plates, Rancho shocks (which seem to be not the best) and the E-locker. The e-locker would be nice for boat ramps but it can only be used in 4-LO, and if your in 4-LO at the boat ramp you won't need the e-locker anyway. :) As for the cap, there are some times I wish I did have one but not enough to need buy one. My father has always had caps on his trucks and never regreted it. I guess it depends on what your needs are. It sounds like a cap would be a good idea for your needs with the dogs, and boating gear, etc. it sounds like a cap would be a big plus. Either way, you will love the truck! Well, that's my $.02, or maybe that was $.03. :D Good Luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have heard that the tires for the 17" OR wheels are easier to get/cheaper than the 18" wheels. I haven't looked for myself though.

You may not like the stiffer OR shocks. I have never rode in a non OR Titan but have heard that they ride a little smoother but roll a little more when cornering.

The skid plates, and E-locker are nice to have but not needed if you never go off road.

I would just drive one with the OR and one without and see which one rode better.

As for the cap, sounds like it would be a good choice with the dogs and boat. Only drawback is you can haul tall stuff in the bed.

Hope this helps some. Enjoy your new Titan!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

I tow a 7000 lbs 26' trailer and it pulls it fine although the MPG is only 8mpg while pulling. AS far as a cap we like ours
We have big tow and off road on our 4X4
Hope this helps
Have a Jesus filled day
Greg from Mi.
JMc said:
Hello everyone,

We have been lurking here a while seeing what everyone is saying about the Titan. We are looking to purchase in the next week or so a Crew Cab, LE in Red Brawn with the Nav system and Big Tow. We have two questions.

The first is the Off Road Package. Should we add it or not? We are going to use the truck primarily as a second vehicle to tow our current boat (21' bowrider weighing ~5,000#) and the new boat we are thinking of buying (24' bowrider weighing ~7,000#). Our Explorer has done fine towing the smaller boat but would be right at the max tow weight with the new boat. I don't want to tow anything that is at the max weight of any vehicles towing capacity. Would the Off Road Package help anything to the tune of the additional $1,000?

The second question is about a Cap. Should we put one on or not? Those that don't have caps? Do you wish you did have one more than you are glad you don't? Those that do have caps, are you glad you do more than you wish it was gone?? The pro of having a cap would be to allow our two big dogs (a Golden Retriever and a Burnese Mountain Dog) a place to ride if they don't fit into the cab. We both like the traditional look of a pickup without a cap but does it make the truck more functional for those of us that are not using it as a traditional work truck?

We are just trying to get a feel if it is worth the extra $$ and is useful more of the time than it is not....

Thanks for helping us decide. We have been reading this forum and have picked up a lot of important information from everyone already...We will post some photos when we get the new baby home...

JMc

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
First off, I have never heard a "camper shell" referred to as a "Cap". Honestly, I thought I was going to have to ask what it was. :)

Sounds like the OR package would be a waste of money for you. The E-Locker is for serious off-roaders (IMHO) so unless you can see yourself tackling the difficult side trails of the Rubicon, don't bother. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 and I have yet to get it stuck with open front and rear diffs (and I have had it in some hairy situations). Sounds like the camper might be a good option for you but as QuickWhip said, you limit the height of things you can haul. I personally don't care for them, but for you the functionality may be golden. BTW, if having the back enclosed is important to you, why not look into an Armada? Maybe price, they are expensive . . .

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
TitanHauler said:
First off, I have never heard a "camper shell" referred to as a "Cap". Honestly, I thought I was going to have to ask what it was. :)
LOL, must be a east cost/west coast thing. :) Why would you call a cap a camper shell when it is nothing like a camper? :D LOL

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have the offroad and the big tow package. I wish I didnt have the Offroad as I really dont need it. Most of the neat features are on the big tow. Lower gears. Super cool mirrors tranny temp guage and wireing stuff. I just ordered a ARE Z series cap for my truck and I have had it both ways and I prefer a cap. I have a king cab so I can camp in back ( 6.5' bed). MY golden retrevers can drool all they want back there. I also have a carpet kit from my silverado that with a little work will fit the nissan nicely.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes up here in Seattle they call the canopes or something like that. I was raised in the mid-west and we also called the truck caps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Leer Cap on my truck. The truck actually had it on it when I bought it at the dealership. I think it completes the package well. I also have the off road package, big tow, etc on my titan. I really like my set up, because I go off road a lot and have 3 dogs that like getting muddy, so throwing them in the back is great(without the cap they would jump out at stop signs)!

V

·
Registered
120 Posts
We call it a canopy, had ones on both my chevs but not on the titan. i don't really miss it either, though i thought i would. We have a 100lb lab and he just rides in the back.It's a persoal thing but, i think the truck looks a lot better with the tonneau cover than the canopycap(cap). On a long trip he rides inthe trailer in his kennel. The trailer is about 4000lbs fully loaded and i hardly notice it behind this baby and the gas mileage blows away my old chev(pre- vortex). For the off-road package, I wouldn't be withoout it but it really depends on where you live and what you need to do with your truck. Two or three times a year i'm really thankfull i have it !! :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
First off, welcome to Club Titan. Now I've always referred to those "caps" as "shells" but then again, you say tomato, I say...

Do you need to decide about the shell right now? Maybe start without one and see if you eventually wish you had one. I think a shell would be nice to keep things dry, clean, and safer in the bed. Not to mention that if you put the dogs back there things will be dry, clean, and safer in the cab too. Visibility usually sucks when trying to see out of them but I think the LE comes with a back-up sensor and the towing mirrors have a wonderful convex mirror for your blind spots.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. I always feel guilty when I join a forum and have nothing to contribute but questions at the start...

First off...Camper or Cap? Here in O-HI-A I have always heard of the fiberglass shells that make a pickup truck look more like an SUV a truck "Cap". A Camper is the shell that is taller, that hangs over the trucks cab with a door on the back that you can actually "camp" in.

To answer some of the other questions...

We do NOT plan to off road in this truck (at least not intentionally!) so it sounds like the OR package $$ would be better spent in a different way. I can not imagine when 4WD would not pull our boat out let alone 4WD-Lo.

Good call about the 18" tires being hard to find...we might check into that before finalizing anything. We are looking for the smoother ride and I'm not allowed to drive fast enough to make anything roll going around a corner...lol.

We did look at/drive an Armada but didn't like the way it drove compared to the Titan. The Titan has a LOT more power. The matching Armada would cost about $6000 more which is another factor...

The only reason that we have to decide about the shell now is that we will be going on vacation in June, pulling our boat and taking the dogs to TN to Lake Norris for 2 weeks. We have to either have a Cap or a cover to put all of the junk that goes with boating for 2 weeks in the truck (I hate loading my boat with luggage and stressing that trailer any more that it has to be). I am leaning towards a cap, the wife is leaning towards a cover. We all know who will probably win...lol.

Thanks to all for the help....and to anyone else that wants to put their 0.02 cents in...

·
Registered
253 Posts
JMc said:
Here in O-HI-A I have always heard of
That is so funny I lived in Powell and grew up in Marion County.

BTW go BUCKS!!!

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
Oh man....I was reading the first few posts going....what the hell is a cap. LoL....don't feel as bad now.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
My Wife is from Zanesville. She Tells me (native Texan) that Buckeyes grow on trees (like Pecans) but You don't Eat them?!
Anyway, Welcome to the Club.
I had a rig in my garage (many Moons ago), attatched to the ceiling, that would allow me to suspend my Truck "Shell".
If I needed it, back the truck under it, drop it, and secure it. When I was through with it, re-hang it. I got the idea from a guy that had a removeable hardtop on his sportscar.

Tow pkg? Definitely. O/R? I love mine, but I think a truck Should have a Stiff suspension.

Get the "Shell/Cap".
Those Puppydogs are People Too!

·
Registered
870 Posts
CaptainBay3000 said:
I have heard that the tires for the 17" OR wheels are easier to get/cheaper than the 18" wheels. I haven't looked for myself though.

You may not like the stiffer OR shocks. I have never rode in a non OR Titan but have heard that they ride a little smoother but roll a little more when cornering.

The skid plates, and E-locker are nice to have but not needed if you never go off road.

I would just drive one with the OR and one without and see which one rode better.

As for the cap, sounds like it would be a good choice with the dogs and boat. Only drawback is you can haul tall stuff in the bed.

Hope this helps some. Enjoy your new Titan!
Actually, the 18" tires are much cheaper(almost half the price depending on where you get them) than the 17's if you stick with the stock sizes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts