Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CEL has been on forever. I took it to the dealership a while back, and they said it is the evap sensor right outside the the tank. They want 380.00 to replace it with a new one that has a filter on it. I did some research on here, and found a thread on how to remove it, clean it, and re-install. I have did that, but my light stays on so I am guessing the part must be bad.

Does anyone have the part # for this part, and know a cheap place to pick it up? I refuse to pay the stealership 380.00 for something I can pull off my truck in under 5 minutes, and there is really nothing to it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd check all your hoses for cracks first.

But, it's easy to test the evap valve. Remove the valve and with the plug on the valve facing you, left prong is +, right prong is -. Use a 12v battery to test it. With no current to the plug, valve inside should be open (plunger in up position). With current to the plug, you should easily notice the plunger inside the valve slam shut. Remove current, it should open back up.

I was just about to replace mine per the TSB since I was throwing a P0442. I tested the valve and it was fine. I guess it's possible it wasn't sealing properly, but it made me investigate further. I followed the evap lines along the frame rail and there's a 6" rubber hose that bends up at a 45 angle or so where the evap line leaves the frame rail and heads up into the engine compartment right behind the front left tire. That hose had a crack in it. It cost $1.30-ish for a 3/8" ID piece of heater hose from local autoparts store. No more code.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
knocking some dust off of this one. what is the purpose of this piece, and how does it effect the trucks performance once it goes?

·
Registered
451 Posts
There's probably a more technical answer, but I believe it's just another thing that was designed incorrectly and will wait until you're out of warranty to create problems so Nissan can make a couple more $$ on u.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I hear that skeeter, but even under warranty it isn't worth taking in. the part is $80+ and my warranty co-pay is $75. i just ordered on off of ebay for $60. i'm tired of cleaning this thing. i think its finally gone.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I thought it was the P-145 code. maybe? and of course,as soon as click confirm payment on the new part. my SES light goes out. go figure..:duh: oh well, the last time i looked in it, it was getting rusty behind the plunger. time to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts