Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an '07 Titan in May. Has the Big Tow package. Got it to tow a 19' Travel Trailer. I assumed that one of the leads on the 7 round plug would be a charge wire for the TT battery (as in Titan provides charge to TT battery while going down the road). Checked all leads yesterday, and that seems not to be the case. Running lights, trailer brakes all function fine. Should the charge wire not be a standard part of the set up?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The 7 pin does charge the TT battery. It's not called a "charge" wire though. It uses one of the constant 12v pins (I believe it's the AUX but don't hold me to that). Here's a pic showing what pins do what. Hope this helps....but again, yes...your truck charges your TT battery while towing. I should also add that not all TTs have the ability to charge while driving...or so I'm told. I know that my 2006 Jayco takes a charge from my truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need another relay in the fuse box under the hood. There are 3, 1 each for left and right turn and the one for the aux pin or "charge wire". I found the info by doing a search on this site and got the relays at NAPA for just a few dollars where the dealership wanted like $28 a piece and had to order them on top. Good luck,

Damon

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Since the truck came with the tow package there is no need to add a relay; it came with the package.
The 12 volt power is pin 4 in the trailer socket. This pin is "hot" only when the key is on in the truck. It is disconnected when the truck is off to keep any trailer load from discharging the truck battery. The purpose of the 12 volt power is to charge the trailer battery when the truck is running; that is why the power is on only when the truck is on
This circuit is a 30 amp circuit, protected by fusible link "J" in the fusible link box under the hood.
Pin 7 in the socket is the backup lights for a trailer, not the charge wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ah--good stuff. I checked all the terminals--running lights fine, right/left turn fine, brake fine. 12v--not with key on of off (actually that's what I was trying to determine--was it only hot with ignition on) I got no response either way. Will track down fusible link. Heading west on 2000 mile loop thru Badlands, Black Hills, down to Rocky Mountain NP. Hope to 'dry camp' at least a couple of nights. Starting an evening with a fully charged battery would be a good thing. Thank guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Strange how all this worked out. My wife passed away in February after 18 months of nasty illness. We had been thinking about getting into the RV lifestyle for years. My grandson (now 7) has been accompanying me to RV shows since he was still in a stroller. Encouraged me to get a big Class A. Nah, too big, too expensive. Class C? Maybe, but still way pricey. Got it! A a small travel trailer to pull behind the van! Bought the Chevy Astro new in '97 (conversion van—off the car show floor). 5500# tow capacity. Great.

Found the perfect trailer. 19', 1994 Terry. Fully self contained, great shape. New reefer, new A/C, new tires. Fantastic. Got the Terry in Mid-April very reasonably. The van had been sitting in mothballs for a while. Driving my wife's Elantra for nearly a year as her health declined. Dropped $1400 on the Astro to get it up to speed a a tow vehicle. Quick test drive, about 5 miles on flatland at 55 went quite well. Next trip was 50 miles north on I-29 outta KC—not so good. Astro screamed, “You want me to tow WHAT!?” The Terry was such a good deal, couldn't lose that...

In May, traded the Elantra in on the 07 Titan XE with the big tow package. Ah! Tows like a dream. Been to several local State Parks and lakes. Bigger trips to Branson and Eureka Springs, AR. Got the trailer, got the truck—dissatisfied with paying 50 bucks a month to park trailer. Loved living in a loft apartment overlooking the Missouri River valley for four years, but tired of paying lotsa rent... Solution? Buy a house with two driveways—one for daily driver, and one in rear for Titan and Terry! Move into the house Saturday, leave on 2000 mile trip West on Sunday. Did I mention I got Terry very reasonably...

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Strange how all this worked out. My wife passed away in February after 18 months of nasty illness. We had been thinking about getting into the RV lifestyle for years. My grandson (now 7) has been accompanying me to RV shows since he was still in a stroller. Encouraged me to get a big Class A. Nah, too big, too expensive. Class C? Maybe, but still way pricey. Got it! A a small travel trailer to pull behind the van! Bought the Chevy Astro new in '97 (conversion van—off the car show floor). 5500# tow capacity. Great.

Found the perfect trailer. 19', 1994 Terry. Fully self contained, great shape. New reefer, new A/C, new tires. Fantastic. Got the Terry in Mid-April very reasonably. The van had been sitting in mothballs for a while. Driving my wife's Elantra for nearly a year as her health declined. Dropped $1400 on the Astro to get it up to speed a a tow vehicle. Quick test drive, about 5 miles on flatland at 55 went quite well. Next trip was 50 miles north on I-29 outta KC—not so good. Astro screamed, “You want me to tow WHAT!?” The Terry was such a good deal, couldn't lose that...

In May, traded the Elantra in on the 07 Titan XE with the big tow package. Ah! Tows like a dream. Been to several local State Parks and lakes. Bigger trips to Branson and Eureka Springs, AR. Got the trailer, got the truck—dissatisfied with paying 50 bucks a month to park trailer. Loved living in a loft apartment overlooking the Missouri River valley for four years, but tired of paying lotsa rent... Solution? Buy a house with two driveways—one for daily driver, and one in rear for Titan and Terry! Move into the house Saturday, leave on 2000 mile trip West on Sunday. Did I mention I got Terry very reasonably...

Nice story. Too bad your wife couldnt appreciate it with you. Happy camping. Also check out RV.net. alot of us are on there also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.