Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the check engine light came on Sunday. I have a 04 titan crew cab. brought to dealer and they said my gas cap was not on correctly. this caused the light to come on. they said the light does not come on right away when cap is incorrect. could take a couple days to come on. also when cap is fixed after light comes on, could take a couple days for light to go off. does this sound right? my biggest concern is that i called the service department to make an appointment, i told them that my light was on and the guy said it could possibly be my gas cap. brought it in and that is what they are telling me was wrong. this must have happened before since they knew before they looked at it. anybody else experience this?

also had rear seatbelt safety recall work done while in shop.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I vaguely remember something about the cap causing the check engine light to illuminate.

I'll do some research and see what I can find for ya.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Yeh I had my wife do this in my last truck 01 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. She filled it up one day when she was driving it and didnt screw the cap all the way down. It didnt create an air tight seal and the truck gave me a engine light that night when I went to work. I didn't even think about this and took it to the dealer the next day. They figured it out real quick and fixed it and reset the lights. Everything was great from then on. OH yeh except a few months later when my transmission started slipping oh yeh wait there was my computer freaked out on me and made the truck spit and sputter when you gave it gas. Hmm come to think of it that thing was a pile of doo. LOL
So glad to be rid of that thing.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
hoffmase said:
the check engine light came on Sunday. I have a 04 titan crew cab. brought to dealer and they said my gas cap was not on correctly. this caused the light to come on. they said the light does not come on right away when cap is incorrect. could take a couple days to come on. also when cap is fixed after light comes on, could take a couple days for light to go off. does this sound right? my biggest concern is that i called the service department to make an appointment, i told them that my light was on and the guy said it could possibly be my gas cap. brought it in and that is what they are telling me was wrong. this must have happened before since they knew before they looked at it. anybody else experience this?

also had rear seatbelt safety recall work done while in shop.
Welcome hoff..........

a loose gas cap will certainly turn on your SES and it is a very common thing to happen. The dealerships see it quite often so that's usually the first thing they look at when someone reports a trouble code. No big deal and your SES light will go out in a few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked the truck up from the dealer and the light was off. They said it was the gas cap. On my way home from the dealer, I got gas. I turned the cap for at least 6 clicks when tightening. That was on Wednesday. Came to work this morning (Monday) and the light came on again. Since filling up Wednesday, I have used about a half tank of gas. Do you think this could be a defective gas cap? Hope this isn't a reoccuring problem.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
sure sounds like a defective gas cap to me or a leak in your evaporative system. Take it back to the dealer and let them test it a little more. My guess is all they did was clear the code and make sure your gas cap clicked a few times.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I had stated in another thread that my SES light had come on also, Thought it was the fuel cap. Anyway, I'd set up an appt at the dealer. Got in truck and headed that way when I noticed it was OFF! 8O Anyway, turned around and went back to work. Called my service advisor guy, and he said I should go ahead and come in and let them check it out..........I did. Well, turned out he pulled up two codes: P0172 & P0175 -- Fuel System Rich. He cleared the codes and everything checked out OK. He said if the SES comes back on I'd need a MAF sensor. Needless to say, my days modding the intake are probably over for now, can't afford a new MAF. I'll keep it mostly stock so it'll be covered under Warranty. (Sorry, BiXLL) :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
talked to dealer. they want to take another look at my truck. they agree with me that after six clicks of tightening, the gas cap should be tight enough. i plan on bringing it in tomorrow morning. I hope it is just a defective gas cap. I will keep you guys posted on the results.

By the way, thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brought truck in to dealer with SES light on. they checked it on computer and gave the same code as before..."Fuel vapor system leak" or something like that. They looked at the cap and decided that nothing was wrong with it. They said they "smoked" the fuel tank system to see if they could find any leaks. They found a leak around a part called a charcoal canister or something like that. from what they told me, it is like a fuel vapor filter. They ordered the part and another part as well. The second part may be a solenoid valve but I am not 100% sure on that. The parts were supposed to be delivered in 2 - 3 days. On the 3rd day I called and 1 part was delivered but the 2nd (canister) was not. They will call to let me know when it comes in.

They told me I could drive the truck while I was waiting for the parts. They said this problem would not affect the way the truck drives. I picked it up in the afternoon of the day I dropped it off. The light was off when I left. Two days later, the light came on again. In those couple of days, I never touched the gas cap. It has been on for the past 5 days.

Currently waiting for the parts. I hope this will solve this problem. Upset about having problems with truck with 5500 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
hoffmase said:
...They found a leak around a part called a charcoal canister or something like that. from what they told me, it is like a fuel vapor filter...
Just out of curiosity do you usually top off your tank when you fill it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts