Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, so please be kind! I played in some mud holes over the weekend, and when I got home and popped my hood, the whole thing was covered in mud. I was pretty concerned, about the mud caking up on the engine, so I shot her down with water. I did not sit there and water the engine, just used the hose attachment at the jet setting and blasted the engine on-and-off. Here's my question or concern. "I know you're supposed to wait till the engine cools off, but when you go muddin' or trough water, the engine is already hot when either one gets on it." So is there any damage I could have done to my engine by spraying it down without waiting? I just want to know if I did something horrible to the engine (aluminum and all), and if there is any percautions that I can do now. Thanks for all the help and info. you guys may give me.

aloha, Derrick

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I am not a mudder what so ever. I really don't have an answer for you, but didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I doubt you hurt it. There is a possibility though when metal is very hot and you cool quickly with water it could warp or distort the metal. Just take a baking pan straight out the oven and run cold water over it and watch it bend a little on you. Relize how thin this metal is though. I believe the engine would be thick enough that you wouldnt have to worry too much about this. The thicker the metal the less chance of it happening.
(ok any smart guys jump in and tell me if I am wrong or right now) LOL
m4ck

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
it shouldnt warp the metal because the oil inside the engine is still hot and keeps the engine block from cooling off.
as for cleaning your motor off, ive found that spraying simple green on the dirty parts and then washing it off cleans much better then just spraying off. one more tip for doin some muddin would be to spray pam or no stick cooking oil in the wheel wells so mudd and water will just repel off and not stick :wink:

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
I'm with Tattonmee. I have not done it to this engine, but an old Ford 360 I used to hose off in the car wash all the time. I think you'll be fine. As you suspected, can't be any worse than going through ground water.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, and no, I never would think that you would ignore me BiXLL. I'll take all your comments and tips to heart. I've never heard of the PAM tip, but next time I plan to go in some semi-deep pudles, I 'll take along a can. I wasn't expecting to go flying through the puddles, but my wife (telling me to dirty the 4X4) and the kids screaming to "GO", what was I to do? Anyways, we all had a good time. Yeah there are some pretty big and semi-pretty deep (up to the middle of the door) holes on the way to most of the sandy beaches. I live on Kauai, not the main island of Oahu, so tere is more places to wheel. I did spray down my previoous engines after muddin', but this is my first brand new anything, so I just wanted to make sure. I have the extended warranty, but I just didn't want to keep doing it, and then after the warranty is up, I have problems. Thanks again! On TT, I haven't got a single reply after two days! You guys rock!

Mahalo, Derrick

p.s. Next week signing free agents begin (for those of you that are into football)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts