Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. Thats the most important. Sucks about the truck. Two years ago on christmas day I did the exact same thing in my sisters rodeo, a 360 out of no where. Facing two lanes of traffic. Hope the fix is quick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
glad your ok wrecking a vehicle sucks and waitng for repairs are worse but vehicles can be repaired or replaced people can't it will be fixed soon enough and the fun of it will be also.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Ouch that sucks! Hope they fix your Titan quickly and w/o too much headache.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK heres a quick update... now its been three weeks.. and this is the only progress...

what work had to be done..

Completley change quarter panels on bed
Change rear gate
Change rear lights
change rear electrical tow light assembly

now what has been done in 3 weeks..

Well when i went in yesterday they were tack welding the quarter panels on.

thats all thas has been done :(

i was looking under the truck while i was there and noticed that the mounts on the rear that hold the rear shocks on were bent bad.. so he was like ok ima order a whole new rear for you because you cant just order the brackets which are welded to the rear..

So im getting a new rear..

but he was like you will have your truck by next week..

god dam a month..

he still has to get the rear, put it on, put the rear lights on, put the tow electrical back on, put the rear tail gate back on and paint the entire rear of the truck than put the liner back on and the cover and clean it... i dont think ima have it back by next week... bad enough i crashed it beforei sent in the first payment! but now im sending in the second payment and still dont have it.. sucks..

·
Registered
55 Posts
With the power of your truck mabbe just giving it a little to much gas, on a wet road, caused your tires to start spinning.
Do these tranny's have a lower ratio like in my old Trooper where you push a 'snow or wet' button that recognizes when sliiping and compensates?
What about if a 4x4, would it have helped from losing traction by having it in 4H or would driving under highway speed hurt suspension or transfer case?
Did any air bags go off?

I hate accidents..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hopefully everything is good as new when its done, I'm sure it seems like an eternity. I had a minor fender bender with mine 3 hours after I got it (all damage on the Titan was handled with a little buffing) and I came unglued so I can about imagine how peeved you were. Well, good luck. Post some happy pics when it is done!

·
Registered
55 Posts
WOW, you had the 4x4 on 4HI?? So ok then the tires did not bite. That's a wakeup call for me then as I thought having it in 4 wheel drive protects me against these situations. QUESTIONS:
For Titans w/o the locking rear diff., how does the 4WD work?

Do all 4 wheels pull at the same time? Just one wheel unless another slips then jumps in??

What is the definition of 4 wheel drive WITHOUT the locker in the rear??? When should we use it? When shouldn't we?

Is this a true 4 wheel drive truck?

Someone experienced in 4 wheel drive please reply.
Thanx!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You should have had them put an LE bed on the truck and you just pay the difference. That way you get the utilitrack, spray-in liner, and the side compartment.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident bro, it always upsets me to hear when another Titan brother goes down because it can happen to anyone of us and a lot of people don't realise that it only takes a couple of seconds---------At least you are OK and I hope they will bring her back even better than before---Yes, it will take time if it is going to be done correctly-----So hang in there bro.

·
Registered
85 Posts
sorry to hear bout your accident, i got into one also if you read it, i been without my truck for almost two months now!

·
Registered
600 Posts
idu said:
WOW, you had the 4x4 on 4HI?? So ok then the tires did not bite. That's a wakeup call for me then as I thought having it in 4 wheel drive protects me against these situations. QUESTIONS:
For Titans w/o the locking rear diff., how does the 4WD work?

Do all 4 wheels pull at the same time? Just one wheel unless another slips then jumps in??

What is the definition of 4 wheel drive WITHOUT the locker in the rear??? When should we use it? When shouldn't we?

Is this a true 4 wheel drive truck?

Someone experienced in 4 wheel drive please reply.
Thanx!
I'll try to answer your questions. Yes, this is a true 4 wheel drive truck, with a part time transfer case. All the "locker"does is lock the rear diff. so that both rear tires turn the same speed, even if one is on ice or off the ground. The locker can only be engaged in 4LO and shouldn't be used exept to get un-stuck, or in extreme offroad situations. All 4x4 Titans have ABLS with "open" diffs on both ends. An "open" differential will distribute equal amonts of torque to both wheels, so if one wheel is on ice, it will only be able to take a very small amount of torque before it spins, and once you loose traction, it takes almost no torque to keep that tire spinning. No torque to the spinning tire means no torque to the tire with traction, so you spin one wheel and don't move. Almost everyone has seen an open diff in action...they stink when it's slippery. This is where the ABLS comes in. It uses the ABS sensors, and the brakes, to brake the spinning wheel. Put the brakes on that spinning wheel and it takes alot more torque to turn it, so the open diff will send more torque to the other wheel, and you can move. It actually works pretty well in snow and mud. As to when to use the 4WD, I use it if I'm in snow, mud or sand and the conditions are such that 2WD might get stuck. I've used mine in the snow on the hiway at 65 mph, and on a steep hill ona dirt road in the rain, so I wouldn't spin a tire and throw rocks.
As for crockone's accident, he said it was an ice storm, and I know from experience that ice, especially when wet, has almost zero traction, and once those tires break loose, it's almost impossible to get back unless you have studs or chains. And remember, tires are a HUGE part of the equation. I have a 4x4 with OR package, and the tires suck in the rain or snow IMHO. I plan on getting a real snow tire for next winter, and maybe Nitto's for the summer and light offroading. Also remember, a 4x4 will climb and get un-stuck well, but won't turn or stop better than anything else when it gets slick.
One more thing, and I'll get off my box. Those Ibeam and steel cable guardrails? They do a number on sheetmetal, but they also work great at what they are designed for, which is keeping a car on the road. An Armco barrier can be driven right over by a truck, but those things rip in to the sheetmetal and tangle up in the frame and axles and don't let go. Not a bad thing if you're next to a river or a 500 foot drop off. They suck if you're on a motorcycle, though 8O

·
Registered
1 Posts
tomorrow i will.. i hope the insurance doesnt try to total it out.. cause then ill be fuct. im ok tho.. its just the rear that got messed up.. like maybee 20 inches from the back light on both sides..
Same thing happen to me 2 years ago in 2012 armada platinum. Did more damage that yours, insurance totaled it out. Thats how I got my 2012 titan

21 - 36 of 36 Posts