Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive 50 miles 1 way to work. Trans temp gauge doesn't move until I've gone about 25 miles. I'm within 12 miles from home when it gets to normal temp. Now I know its cold out and I ain't complainig just wondering if anybody else noticed this.

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
Mine takes a while to come up to driving only 40-50 mph for 12 miles. Haven't been much worried about it.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
tytan said:
I drive 50 miles 1 way to work. Trans temp gauge doesn't move until I've gone about 25 miles. I'm within 12 miles from home when it gets to normal temp. Now I know its cold out and I ain't complainig just wondering if anybody else noticed this.
This is normal tytan especially if its cold out and your doing mostly all highway driving. Typically you'll notice it start to rise, in cooler temps, just driving around town. Out on the highway though they run coooooool.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned, tytan...like JetTech stated. An automatic isn't working much going down the highway. When you pull and shift alot is when heat builds up. As long as it registers...it's cool.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The bottom line is that an automatic transmission can't run cool enough. If my guage never moved off cold it would make me a happy man. Provided the guage was working. :) Mine acts the same way as yours so I wouldn't worry. Normally it sits just over 1/3 under normal driving conditions and when towing it can creep up to just over 1/2 pulling a hill. I had a 1972 Chevelle with a built 355 and a 700R4 Trans with a 2800 RPM Stall. I put a tranny cooler on it that was made for towing up to 28,000GVW. The temp barely registered on the guage even in the dead of summer. Talk to anyone who knows auto transmissions and they will tell you the same thing. Heat kills.

Oh, just in case your interested. Here are some pics of the Chevelle. Sold her 2 years ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
you didn't sell that now did you????? Oh maaaaaan, it's not in my garage... :cry:

Back to tranny temps a little, I've contemplated adding an additional tranny cooler just for the heck of it. Have you tossed around that idea because you tow a lot?? HEAT KILLS!! at least it does on a tranny.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That Chevelle is nice. Hope you sold it to someone responsible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts