Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this site and have an Armada. I am very interested in an exhaust for my new ride and have tried searching to see what everyone here likes as far as exhaust goes. I really like the flowmaster sound but I only want one side exit. I called Billy Boat exhaust to see if they make a system for the Armada but they dont plan on building one. I really like the way their exhaust goes two pipes into the muffler (eliminating the y-pipe all together). http://www.bbtriflo.com/B&BMain.htm So give me some comments on this: Flowmaster 70 duel in/single stock exhaust out. I am just curious why none of the other exhaust manufactures have gone that route and if you guys think it is a viable option.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I see you are a new member. Welcome. 8) Have you asked this question at ClubArmada.com?
If you are going dual in, then put an H-pipe or X-pipe before the muffler to balance the exhaust pressure in both pipes. You could also just use a Y-pipe and go single in (3"). Flowmaster only has the dual out kit (which I have and like), otherwise you have to go with a custom set-up for a single out. Gibson makes a single out which BiXLL has and is undergoing a review (search through the performance mods forum here).

G

·
I have had the Gibson 3" SS single system on my Armada for about 2,000 miles and am happy with it. There is a very nice gain in low end performance, and I really notice a big improvement in passing on the highway. The system is very well made. It is louder than the stock system when accelerating and driving between 45 to 65, but is quite at cruising speeds 70 and over.
I paid $475.00 delivered for my system. The aluminized system is quite a bit cheaper, but I keep my vehicles a long time and don't want to have to replace the exhaust system. The Gibson SS system has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Caltitan said:
I see you are a new member. Welcome. 8) Have you asked this question at ClubArmada.com?
If you are going dual in, then put an H-pipe or X-pipe before the muffler to balance the exhaust pressure in both pipes. You could also just use a Y-pipe and go single in (3"). Flowmaster only has the dual out kit (which I have and like), otherwise you have to go with a custom set-up for a single out. Gibson makes a single out which BiXLL has and is undergoing a review (search through the performance mods forum here).
I am still not convinced that a h/x-pipe is needed if you are putting both pipes into one muffler (essentially y-ing the exhaust). It makes sense in a "true dual" situation, but not when you are using one muffler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your opinions all. I was thinking along the lines of GETSOMZ28 as duel into the muffler will (theoretically) do the same thing as the y-pipe.

I should probably post over on ClubArmada I just figured I would get a better response over here since it is viewed by a lot more enthusiasts. The Gibson system sounds like something I should look into.

Thanks again,

JF

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
GETSOMZ28 said:
Caltitan said:
I am still not convinced that a h/x-pipe is needed if you are putting both pipes into one muffler (essentially y-ing the exhaust). It makes sense in a "true dual" situation, but not when you are using one muffler.
This is true..... an H or X-pipe is only necessary when going true-dual with separate muffs for each bank... :wink:

·
Registered
601 Posts
RockyMtnTitan said:
This is true..... an H or X-pipe is only necessary when going true-dual with separate muffs for each bank... :wink:
OK, here how I see it...
The principle behind an X or H (or even Y) is for scavenging by reducing the back pressure/creating a vacuum. When the pulse of gas from one side passes the X or the H, it creates a vacuum on the other side to increase efficiency.

An average muffler is a known cause of back pressure which reduces exhaust efficiency and does not allow for scavenging whether you have single or dual inlets. Part of the problem is that the inlet dumps into an open space where the exhaust gases are allowed to slow and expand so that it is no longer pulling the gases behind it down the pipe.

Are there mufflers out there that have scavenging properties built in? Yes. Are there dual inlet mufflers out there that have scavenging built in? Probably. Do all dual inlet mufflers have scavenging? Probably not.

Next question, will a dual inlet muffler cancel the benefits of an X or H pipe? Possibly. If so, then I suppose it is useless to spend the cash for the X or H.

One more tidbit... I have seen it highly recommended that the H or X be placed as close as possible to the cats so that it is most effective. Based on this, waiting till you get to the muffler is just defying the benefits of an X or H (esp. an H close to the cats).

Just my 4 cents... Feel free to blast away...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't looked at the package exhaust systems, but if you go custom you have to replace the factory "Y" if you're going single. I saw mine after it had been cut out and it's a wonder that the thing even ran with such restriction. Here's a pic of the new "Y" that was put in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
After seeing Slurppies latest dyno run, I'm of the belief that a single exhaust is the way to go. Our engines must like the flow characteristics of the aftermarket singles, especially the JBA setup that he has on his truck. I like the looks of my Gibson duals, but dollar for dollar, the singles seem to be the way to go. I know I probably will go with a single outlet someday, oh and the JBA single he has sounds excellent too!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts