Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out the cold air box from my NISMO CAI a week ago and was looking at the hole against the fender that is normally used by other CAI systems to allow cooler air to get to the filter, and I thought I might be able to use it. Almost every car I have owned and bought a CAI for has a hole similar to that and the piping actually goes through it into the wheel well, and thats where the filter goes. So looking at the hole I was considering getting some universal piping and a few couplers, and running the filter out above the tire in the wheels well. Has anyone tried this? I know it made a significant difference on my SE-R SpecV and my friends maxima does the same. I just was curious what everyone knows or if anyone has actually tried it. I have considered switching to a new CAI system with a better box but I dont really feel like spending the money when the one I have now is good. Anyway, Im gonna go to autozone, etc and see if I cant find a pipe that will couple to my NISMO CAI and then fit a filter right outside the fender. I had the ram air mod but I think if I could get the filter completely outside the engine bay it would be even better.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you dont have foglights you could always pipe insulate the box from heat and pipe to the fog light area leaving the grill in and it would be a clean ram air mod.

·
Registered
288 Posts
HOYD said:
If you dont have foglights you could always pipe insulate the box from heat and pipe to the fog light area leaving the grill in and it would be a clean ram air mod.
H$ll yeah but what about water...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know I have heard that argument with every CAI on every car Ive ever owned. Unless you are driving though big deep puddles of water, I dont thinkg you have anything to worry about. The inner fenderwell would be there too. Its a personal preference I guess...as long as I can easily disconnect it and put the filter back in the engine bay, then Id be fine.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
We had some heavy rain two weeks ago. I had to drive through some 2-3" puddles at 30-40 MPH, and you can see some dried water stains in the bottom of the intake box where some water did get in there, not much but some did. I have no ram air hooked up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mychael101 said:
Why not do the ram air mod that Toomny and others have done.

Ive done that...

I dont necessarily want it on all the time, but if I know Im going to the track or just wanna go out cruising the streets I could throw it on. I know everyone talks about the water issue, but it isnt going to be an all the time thing...

·
Banned
2,121 Posts
I didn't know you had it already. BTW were probably going to Keller's tonite. You in? Well its either Kellers or Kennedale.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If youre going to Kellers Im in...just let me know when... btw, I thought Kennedale was doing the Fun and Grudge on Saturday not tonight...

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you get this working I would be interested in a DIY thread.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will... once I look around and see if I can find the right piping, and if I get it to work right, Ill post up some pics and everything...

CAI is made! I'll post picks tonight...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some pictures...needless to say my initial feeling is..WOW! And once the sun went down and temps dropped it was really feeling strong. For those on you who want a loud intake...this is the way to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Nice mod, will the fender liner still fit?

·
Registered
482 Posts
How much louder was it?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
with my current AEM filter I dont see any reason why the liner wouldnt fit. It would be really nice for track nights...it sits right behind the drivers side headlight. So you could take it out and have cold/ram air for the track.

Before my headers/exhaust would completely dround out the intake. Now once you get into the higher RPMs that thing gets loud. Almost has a VQ35 style sound for those who have been in a 350z/Maxima/G35...

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just need to powdercoat the 2nd pipe I got and find a black grommet instead of blue. I think it would look really nice...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts