Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i planed on changing out a leaky axel seal and taking some pics for a how to while i was at it. Well all was good untill i pulled the diff cover off and found a piece of my eaton locker sitting in the bottom of the pumpkin. There is a sizable piece missing of the corner of the lockers outer housing, opposite the ring gear. WTF!?? I would have never known untill it was too late. The locker seemed do be working correctly and silently and showed no signs of malfunction on the road. now i am stuck and trying to figure out what to do and if its safe to put together for a week and go to work driving easy.
does anyone know the warranty they offer? If i recall my memory correctly it is basically a "if you can break it we will warranty it" type of warranty. they claimed somewhere up to 600-700 rwhp i believe... which i am no where close to. My oil was changed 4 times in the diff and i just hit 50k miles. TT was installed sometime between 10k to 20k miles on odometer.

Any advise on what to do and if the break is in a working location of the clutches in the TT would be greatly appreciated. I cant afford to miss work and am unsure of the integrity left in the unit. BTW all the bolts seemed to be tight. All bolts where tqed to eatons specs on install. I no longer have the paper on it so if anyone knows the exact ft lbs of all the bolts i would like to recheck with a tq wrench as it sits now.
pics attached.....

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/Leadsled124/IMG_0237.jpg

further inspection found all 3 sides broke.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
baseballfanz said:
Seems like a manufacture defect on the casing. That's gotta be warranty IMO. Good thing non of the piece got caught in the gears.

You can read the limited warranty info here
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128482.pdf
thanx much appreciated. Im putting the spiders back in for now. I suggest that anyone who decides to check theirs also checks the preassembled bolts by eaton. a few started to back out after 35k miles

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well that kinda blows, I just got mine at the house the other day, guess I am waiting for an outcome on this before it goes in.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
holy crap man...i was always worry-free about the TT...not anymore

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Im sry to see this happen man, keep us posted.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sorry man this happened. It does look like it's some kind of manufactures defect so hopefully Eaton takes care of you. Keep us posted and good luck.

Might be time to pull mine off and check...

Here are the Truetrac torque specs Shailey posted on CT a while back.

-The ring gear bolts get torqued to 135 ft/lbs.
-Side bearing caps get torqued to 80 ft/lbs
-Adjuster lock plate bolts get torqued to 89 INCH/lbs
-Diff cover gets 31 ft/lbs..

Backlash tolerances are between .08 and .13 mm. Adjusted by using the side bearing adjusters.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Leadsled124 said:
thanx much appreciated. Im putting the spiders back in for now. I suggest that anyone who decides to check theirs also checks the preassembled bolts by eaton. a few started to back out after 35k miles
What bolts are you talking about, the ones on the side of the carrier? If so when did you torque those back down and to what torque did you set them too.

·
Banned
1,478 Posts
I'm sorry to say, that unless Eaton decides to make a "good faith" compensation, you are unlikely to get anything from Eaton on warranty. If you've had it installed more than a year, can prove proper maintenance with sales slips, show no competition then you have little recourse for compensation.

I wish you luck. I'd have to wonder how this happened as it seems to me the only way this could happen is for the plate to be free to move side-to-side.

Red

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
back on the road. spider gears reinstalled...booo, ill update after work tomarrow

Most likley getting warrentied. Knock on wood. the head sales guy from eaton called and they want it for their next inhouse product meeting this week. They couldnt believe one got destroyed. They said they beat the crap out of their test one in 2004 and it was solid still. This is the first reported failed trutrac since they where made in 04.. so if you have one or bought one dont worry. A few of the bolts broke off (impssible to back out and pass the carrier barrings). Strangest part is... 2 of the bolt heads are missing. not in the pumpkin... not in the axels.... ground to dust and stuck to the drain plug magnet. Eaton was very impressed that the ring gear still looks like new. Thats one tough gear set!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sftail1990 said:
What bolts are you talking about, the ones on the side of the carrier? If so when did you torque those back down and to what torque did you set them too.
in this pic they would be the bolts in the TT on the far left of the image. these where pre tqed from eaton and where not sopposed to come loose. 3 are half backed out and 2 missing. Funny thing was it was still freaking working in that condition!

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
So what ever happened with this, kind of just died and nobody is saying anything more about it. I just would have thought it could have been a serious issue if it wasn't abused or something, not saying that it was, but one failure out of how many. What have they said about it?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'll be watching this post,I see sftail1990 is on this one.If he gives the same kind of H*ll as much as he did wrp we should get some pos results,lol.

·
Registered
824 Posts
dbolemiss said:
I'll be watching this post,I see sftail1990 is on this one.If he gives the same kind of H*ll as much as he did wrp we should get some pos results,lol.

I haven't seen any reason to do anything yet, I am worried about when he said he had loose bolts on the ends of the diff there, well that is the first, out ya come and send me a new one. I wouldn't have retightened em, I would have sent the whole thing back. But back to the matter at hand, I haven't heard anymore said about this whole deal, what did the manuf say about it? I see Leadsled hasn't posted here in a while when he said he was going to post later that evening and nothing. I am having mine put in two weeks from now. Just wish I could find out what the deal is with his so I could check this one. First of all where did you get the specs that Eaton should have torqued those bolts to preassembled. I don't see anything on my stuff that gives the torques. Me is confused on this deal right now, clarification please, or at least gimme somethin to open my eyes to. Oh and dbolemiss, WRP is still an alphabet soup POS. I watch his sites here and there, he is still not getting folks the stuff they ordered almost a year ago, let alone the PS pulleys that we know of, same old excuses, and he is rarely around now at his sites, keep hoping someone will give him a visit, keep tellin my boss I will do some work up there if he can find some for me.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sftail1990 said:
I haven't seen any reason to do anything yet, I am worried about when he said he had loose bolts on the ends of the diff there, well that is the first, out ya come and send me a new one. I wouldn't have retightened em, I would have sent the whole thing back. But back to the matter at hand, I haven't heard anymore said about this whole deal, what did the manuf say about it? I see Leadsled hasn't posted here in a while when he said he was going to post later that evening and nothing. I am having mine put in two weeks from now. Just wish I could find out what the deal is with his so I could check this one. First of all where did you get the specs that Eaton should have torqued those bolts to preassembled. I don't see anything on my stuff that gives the torques. Me is confused on this deal right now, clarification please, or at least gimme somethin to open my eyes to. Oh and dbolemiss, WRP is still an alphabet soup POS. I watch his sites here and there, he is still not getting folks the stuff they ordered almost a year ago, let alone the PS pulleys that we know of, same old excuses, and he is rarely around now at his sites, keep hoping someone will give him a visit, keep tellin my boss I will do some work up there if he can find some for me.

No worries Eaton stood behind their product. New locker should be here anyday. They said it must have been their fault where one of the assemblers didnt tq the bolts down all the way. Im gunna get the specs and check the new one. they were all so suprised one broke that they put it up on the wall lol.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Leadsled124 said:
No worries Eaton stood behind their product. New locker should be here anyday. They said it must have been their fault where one of the assemblers didnt tq the bolts down all the way. Im gunna get the specs and check the new one. they were all so suprised one broke that they put it up on the wall lol.
Well that is great and glad to hear it for you, I was just worried that I hadn't heard anything and mine goes in two weeks from now. I just couldn't understand why you had to torque those back down, that isn't part of the install, I went and looked at the directions LOL. I was afraid you might have retorqued them too much. But great to hear, now I don't worry about mine going in soon enough now.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well that is great and glad to hear it for you, I was just worried that I hadn't heard anything and mine goes in two weeks from now. I just couldn't understand why you had to torque those back down, that isn't part of the install, I went and looked at the directions LOL. I was afraid you might have retorqued them too much. But great to hear, now I don't worry about mine going in soon enough now.
Sorry somehow missed this old post. (i reported results on MT and missed CT by accident lol)
Eaton took forever to send the unit. The distributor that i bought through sent me one since eaton was lagging. i took everything apart and then found out they sent a Dana 44 TT, not the modified Dana 44 the Titan uses. Dope! my fault for not checking part numbers. MAKE SURE YOU GUYS CHECK PART #S BEFORE OPENING DIFF. Well Eaton finally sent the right one. It was when SEMA was going on and i know they where busy. By the way warps dad replaced my whole rearend for me when the spider gears where in since both seals where leaking. Thanx Man :) .
new diff in and works like a charm. Keeping fingers crossed that its a thing of the past, but i got a lot of miles already on it. BTW since ive taken the rearend apart 4 times im gettin pretty good at this lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts