Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i been having some real funny noises coming from my brakes so i decided while i was installing prerunners lift kit i would check them out. well to my surprise both pistons on both sides are crackinig! i have never seen this! i meaN THIER is pieces missing from the piston. what do you guys think????

·
Registered
601 Posts
got_titan said:
well i been having some real funny noises coming from my brakes so i decided while i was installing prerunners lift kit i would check them out. well to my surprise both pistons on both sides are crackinig! i have never seen this! i meaN THIER is pieces missing from the piston. what do you guys think????

All I can say is holy crap! :punch:

Oh, and stick your factory pads back on and take it to the dealer ASAP!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Actually, the carbotech pads shouldn't affect your warranty should they? Take it to the dealer!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wow - I'll take a look at mine when I get a chance. I haven't noticed any odd noises coming from my Carbotech pads and they still perform better than the stock pads. What was the "funny" noise you were hearing (grinding, squeaking)? How long have you had the Carbotech pads? What was used to push the pistons back when you changed pads?

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was a grinding, squeking sound and i used the old pad and a c- clap to compress the piston. the carbotechs have been on for 3500 miles

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Mine have been in use for only about 1500 miles so I will check their progress as soon as I can. I do have frequent brake usage since my 10 mile commute is not on any freeways. I too used a clamp to push my pistons back. I also smeared some anti-squeak grease on them. Maybe contact Greg at Mossy Nissan and see if he can help.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have read in other posts that this can happen, but is not too common. Supposibly Nisan is aware of this.

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well guys truck has been in the shop for 7 days and the calipers are on national backorder. my service guy has been great but he said he had never seen calipers do this 8O . the estimated ship date on the calipers are 03-18-05 and they will not promise they will arrive then. thats a long time for 2 calipers. i will say though the service department has been great and provided me with a 05 pathfinder and now im going to get a 05 titan because i need a truck! ill keep everyone updated.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
got_titan said:
well guys truck has been in the shop for 7 days and the calipers are on national backorder. my service guy has been great but he said he had never seen calipers do this 8O . the estimated ship date on the calipers are 03-18-05 and they will not promise they will arrive then. thats a long time for 2 calipers. i will say though the service department has been great and provided me with a 05 pathfinder and now im going to get a 05 titan because i need a truck! ill keep everyone updated.
Hi got, did they try to blame the carbotechs for this happening or did you install the factory pads before you took it in?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
got_titan said:
I checked mine and had the same issue as you. However, I was told by my service rep that it was not caused by the pads but related to the same issues causing the brake judder. I had the brake judder TSB done twice last Fall, but they never changed the rotors or the torque members. They suspect that the caliper pistons were probably already stressed at that time and continued to become more stressed until they eventually failed to the point where they started to crack. They are replacing the entire brake system at each front wheel and, like you, am expecting the remaining parts to arrive at the dealer on 3/18/05. I am in a complimentary truck rental (Silverado) right now and my service rep has been providing me with timely updates.

·
Banned
34 Posts
got_titan said:

I actually noticed that on mine when I pulled it off the last time. It had a chip. I have no clue where it came from but never had a car that had that fall apart either. I put some lube on them and put them back on. No problems though.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
What I have found interesting is that the caliper pistons are made of some type of composite type material. I asked the Nissan mechanic and he didn't know what type of material it was. Also noted was that the rubber boots around the pistons and the flat black paint on the inside of the pistons exhibited no signs of stress or heat damage.

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JetTech said:
got_titan said:
Hi got, did they try to blame the carbotechs for this happening or did you install the factory pads before you took it in?
I TOOK THE CARBOS off and replaced them with my factory pads, but i really dont think the tech would have even noticed. since i see other people are already having problems i may just install the big brake kit and be done with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i think it's a smart move switching them back, because you just never know how a dealership is going to react. good luck on getting it fixed quick

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE

well guys i got my truck back and the brakes feel better than ever. they replaced the calipers, turned the rotors,balanced the tires and done an alignment after the prg kit was installed. the dealership was great and done all work under warranty. also my rear diff cover was rusting and leaking so there going to replace it with the finned one under warranty. i think this is the best dealer i have ever worked with and the treat thier customers with respect. i really believe the caliper problem will return but hopefully the new rotors will fix a;ll our problems!!!! 8O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts