Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off - just wanted to say hi. I've had my Titan for over a year now, and usually read everything that goes on around here, but I haven't posted anything yet. Maybe I've been shy or something :) . In any case...

About a month ago I had my dealer install the Carbotech brake pads/SS lines from Mossy. As soon as I picked it up, something didn't feel right. The pedal was as mushy as before (maybe more) and now when I do a "panic stop" (full force braking) it's almost like there isn't enough braking force to even activate ABS. I get one or two taps from the ABS on my foot as the truck slows down - but nothing like before. The truck also takes noticeably longer to stop. However - if I come to a quick stop on gravel/snow/ice the ABS works beautifully...grinding and pulsating like normal.

At first I thought maybe they had left air in the lines, so I bled all the lines per service manual about three times with no luck. I am pretty hard on my braking system (emergency lights/sirens driving) so I expect going through some pads/rotors - but this I am at a loss for.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!!

Brian

P.S. [ATTACHMENT] The clear plastic "sheath" around my Crowne SS brake lines is peeling off - is this hapening to anybody else? Should I be worried?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Hi Brian and welcome to clubt!!

It looks like you made a fine choice with the brake pads and SS lines. After reading your post it still seems like you have air in the system. Did you bleed all 4 lines or just the fronts? If you did just the fronts then I would start at the RR, then do the LR, then RF, then LF. Do your most bleeding when you start at the RR because it takes a while for the air to work its way to the farthest point from the master cylinder. Its got to be air....Let us know and again welcome.. :D

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I agree, sure sounds like air to me!

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
JetTech said:
Hi Brian and welcome to clubt!!

It looks like you made a fine choice with the brake pads and SS lines. After reading your post it still seems like you have air in the system. Did you bleed all 4 lines or just the fronts? If you did just the fronts then I would start at the RR, then do the LR, then RF, then LF. Do your most bleeding when you start at the RR because it takes a while for the air to work its way to the farthest point from the master cylinder. Its got to be air....Let us know and again welcome.. :D
JT, that bleed sequence is the one that I always used, but the Service Manual gives a different one. (see attached pic.)
Another thing I always do is attach a length of clear tubing to the bleeder and put the end into a jar with some clean brake fluid in it. Be sure the end of the tubing is below the level of the fluid in the jar. By doing this you can't pull air back into the system, and you can easily see when there is no more air coming out. You should have someone pump the pedal for you, but I have done this by myself using this method.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
That's interesting scr, why on earth would they want you to start with the closest? Maybe it's to get rid of the bulk of the air or something?? Thanks for pointing this out, I surely don't want to lead others astray.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
They start with the right rear, then left front, left rear, then right front. Don't make any sense to me either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice - I will try the bleeding process again tomorrow. JT: I did bleed all 4 wheels (enough to run through a bottle of DOT-3 brake fluid) per the service manual. It might have made it slightly better for a while, but now I'm back to the "mushy" pedal feel (at least a few inches of travel before any real braking takes place) and the unpredictable panic stopping performance.

I tried a few rapid stops today (pedal to the floor) and only once did the ABS kick in and it stopped as it should. The remainder of the times I could stand on it as hard as possible and the truck just quickly slowed to a stop without ABS - no wheel chatter at all.

To answer the question about the wet caliper - that's just from my clumsy bleeding process. I've checked all connections with the system under pressure and no leaks that I can see.

Also - any ideas on whether I should be worried about "shrink wrapping" on the SS lines peeling off?

Again, thanks to everyone!

Brian

·
Banned
1,478 Posts
Diagonal brake circuits?

Diagonal brake circuits

Many vehicles have a diagonal brake circuit so in the event of one circuit system failure you would still have a front and a rear brake remain effective.

This is better than losing both fronts or both rear at the same time.

I haven't checked the manual to see if the Titan is arranged this way, but the bleeding process sugests that it does.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Re:

Take it back to the dealer who did the brake service for you...unless it has been over the time alotted or after the warranty/mile period. Bring it to their attention and have them fix it correctly :!:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts