Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 Titan Crew Cab and purchased the 7/70K warranty, i am currently at 69,790 and have had no issues. My parents have been Ford buyers since the late '80s and one thing I like that Ford does is if you don't use your warranty they refund your money. Does anyone know if Nissan has a similar policy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Not sure. That's a good theory though. It was my understanding that if you sold the vehicle or traded it in you'd get a pro-rated refund of the unused portion. But if you've reached the end of the warranty, you're done. Hope I;m wrong!

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Heck, I wish my insurance company would take on Fords policy..................

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't think so, Who wouldn't buy an extended warrenty if this was the case, it would be win win either way. Extended Warrenties are an added insurance and insurance is not free. Ford lets you refund the warrenty for up to 30 days from purchase if no claims have been made or you get a prorated refund if you sell before the end of the warrenty, but you won't get a refund at the end of the miles or time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my Titan a week ago, and the sales manager and finance manager assured me that I could cancel before it expired for a refund.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I bought my Titan a week ago, and the sales manager and finance manager assured me that I could cancel before it expired for a refund.
LOL...Did he also throw in the words PRO RATED? There's no full refund and once past the the 5 yrs/100k miles (or whatever you paid for) it's done and with no refund as the OP questioned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes Nissan Motors will refund you a pro-rated amount for any unused portion of your extended warranty. I have purchased 8 Nissans in my lifetime and each had some portion refunded from the extended warranty. At 69,970 there is not much pro ration $$'s left.
Question is who wouldnt buy an extended warranty on any vehicle if you are financing it? It only makes sense to hedge your vehicles maintenance costs.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've never needed or purchased a warranty, and my 08 Titan is my 16th Nissan. Most people would never use it enough to cover the initial ridiculously high cost...some may though. It's great for those who keep their vehicles a long time, have money to burn and need that little sense of security. Take the $2000 and put it away. Get interest on it and use it to pay for repairs. You'll make out better in most instances.

·
Registered
824 Posts
By the time mine is done at 100k, they will be in the hole, three sets of axles, ECU, IPDM, radiator last month, all at 50K or less, if it keeps going like that they won't make cent on my extended warranty, aux fan that is still not working.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
By the time mine is done at 100k, they will be in the hole, three sets of axles, ECU, IPDM, radiator last month, all at 50K or less, if it keeps going like that they won't make cent on my extended warranty, aux fan that is still not working.
If they all went at less than 50k miles, then you haven't used your your extended warranty at all...you used the 5/60 factory powertrain warranty....unless your truck is more than 5 yrs old. The aux fan has a recall so that should also be a freebee.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If they all went at less than 50k miles, then you haven't used your your extended warranty at all...you used the 5/60 factory powertrain warranty....unless your truck is more than 5 yrs old. The aux fan has a recall so that should also be a freebee.
The point I am trying to make is, this is all within the 50K, so odds are it isn't looking good for the next 50K, especially with the axle seals. This many probs within 50K is not good for a precursor to the next 50K. Many of these including axle seals were within the first 20K, then 5K later, then 6K later on the next set of axles. Radiator at 50K? For me that is characteristically way too early, especially with the amount on the forums of that specific failure, including the axle seals. IPDM, I will give em, but it took way too long for the recall on that. It has been a problem for years now and they are just accepting it now? Ludicrous in my opinion

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The point I am trying to make is, this is all within the 50K, so odds are it isn't looking good for the next 50K, especially with the axle seals. This many probs within 50K is not good for a precursor to the next 50K. Many of these including axle seals were within the first 20K, then 5K later, then 6K later on the next set of axles. Radiator at 50K? For me that is characteristically way too early, especially with the amount on the forums of that specific failure, including the axle seals. IPDM, I will give em, but it took way too long for the recall on that. It has been a problem for years now and they are just accepting it now? Ludicrous in my opinion
Very true, I see your point. However, most don't have those problems with their trucks. And the fact that something goes bad at a particular mileage point doesn't necessarily mean the new replacement part will do the same. I had the rear end replaced on my 04 pretty early on and the new one never gave me a problem. Yeah it's easy to say "look at all the people here who have"....but you'll always find the most bees closest to the nest. Look at the amount of problems vs trucks sold, I don't think it's that high at all. But sure, if it happens to you, it sucks. Maybe if the extended warranties were cheaper I could see it but I'd bet the percentage of people who actually make out good on the deal is extremely low. Again, I do still see your point and I can certainly understand why people choose to go with the warranty. I just didn't want you to think I was somehow lessening your opinion just because my experience has been different. I come across sometimes as having an I'M RIGHT & YOU'RE WRONG attitude and that's not my intent at all. It's gotten me in hot water before...lol.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Very true, I see your point. However, most don't have those problems with their trucks. And the fact that something goes bad at a particular mileage point doesn't necessarily mean the new replacement part will do the same. I had the rear end replaced on my 04 pretty early on and the new one never gave me a problem. Yeah it's easy to say "look at all the people here who have"....but you'll always find the most bees closest to the nest. Look at the amount of problems vs trucks sold, I don't think it's that high at all. But sure, if it happens to you, it sucks. Maybe if the extended warranties were cheaper I could see it but I'd bet the percentage of people who actually make out good on the deal is extremely low. Again, I do still see your point and I can certainly understand why people choose to go with the warranty. I just didn't want you to think I was somehow lessening your opinion just because my experience has been different. I come across sometimes as having an I'M RIGHT & YOU'RE WRONG attitude and that's not my intent at all. It's gotten me in hot water before...lol.

Yeah we have had this discussion in the oil threads before LOL, doesn't mean that others are right or wrong, it is usually one of perception more than anything. I do think though that still maybe the numbers are low, I have no data to support that, but neither here nor there, the commonality of the failures I do believe lead to some sort of trend in many ways. Radiators, the caps to them, the diffs, axle seals especially. Now by that same token earlier on amount of failures, we really, I think, don't know the true depth of that problem in axle seals because I am sure that many never look and check to see if it is happening. That in itself doesn't mean it isn't happening, it just means some aren't knowledgeable enough to know, especially if they don't go to the forums, to know they have it. Radiators, I think are just by the nature in some respects, plastic end caps crimped to aluminum centers, have always had a higher instance of failure than all metal ones. I still think that with the amount of issues within the Titan community that there are some design deficiencies. My brakes after approx 46K or so were just absolutely horrible,
I had less than an inch on the insides of the rotors wearing, the rest of the rotor wasn't touched, and to have that happen on all four rotors is just horrendous. I have a thread where I was selling some old parts and posted pics of the brake rotors after I went with the BBK from Stillen. These haven't even pulled a weighted trailer yet, and that kind of wear IMO was just unacceptable, the truck barely had any stopping power. It is frustrating, and yes bees will stay next to that nest on this, but I think the commonality of the failures does suggest more. There are many Titan owners that don't even belong to forums, I am sure, but I bet that there are the other problems that are the same that we don't hear about also. So yes, if we had all the warranty claims or repair claims we could base a better judgement on this, but just too many are common on the Titan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yeah we have had this discussion in the oil threads before LOL, doesn't mean that others are right or wrong, it is usually one of perception more than anything. I do think though that still maybe the numbers are low, I have no data to support that, but neither here nor there, the commonality of the failures I do believe lead to some sort of trend in many ways. Radiators, the caps to them, the diffs, axle seals especially. Now by that same token earlier on amount of failures, we really, I think, don't know the true depth of that problem in axle seals because I am sure that many never look and check to see if it is happening. That in itself doesn't mean it isn't happening, it just means some aren't knowledgeable enough to know, especially if they don't go to the forums, to know they have it. Radiators, I think are just by the nature in some respects, plastic end caps crimped to aluminum centers, have always had a higher instance of failure than all metal ones. I still think that with the amount of issues within the Titan community that there are some design deficiencies. My brakes after approx 46K or so were just absolutely horrible,
I had less than an inch on the insides of the rotors wearing, the rest of the rotor wasn't touched, and to have that happen on all four rotors is just horrendous. I have a thread where I was selling some old parts and posted pics of the brake rotors after I went with the BBK from Stillen. These haven't even pulled a weighted trailer yet, and that kind of wear IMO was just unacceptable, the truck barely had any stopping power. It is frustrating, and yes bees will stay next to that nest on this, but I think the commonality of the failures does suggest more. There are many Titan owners that don't even belong to forums, I am sure, but I bet that there are the other problems that are the same that we don't hear about also. So yes, if we had all the warranty claims or repair claims we could base a better judgement on this, but just too many are common on the Titan.
Funny you mention the radiator cap...I had one blow on my 04 and now I keep a spare OEM cap in the glove box of my 08..lol.
There has to be some source where owners can find number like that.....how many of this or that went bad etc. It would be helpful. The brakes on my new Titan are amazing when compared to the 04 I had. It's so hard to tell what exactly has been changed, upgraded etc so people can make an educated decision on things like what year to buy, should I spring for the extended warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts