1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
These are short tube headers, like the JBAs. And like the JBAs, you must cut the primary converters from the stock manifolds and weld them to the headers. This involves a lot of fitting and welding, but they will be CARB legal since the original cats are used.
I don't like using the original cats, since there have been quite a few problems with failures. If there are a lot of miles on the cats they will be very prone to failure.
If you really want headers and they must be CARB approved, then this type of headers where the original cats are used is the only option you have.
If you don't need to meet CARB then long tubs are a much better way to go.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
OBX also makes stainless shorties.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SCR38, you answered a number of questions that were on my mind. A big thanks to you!

So why hasn't anyone come up with a direct fit replacement set of catalytic converters that will work with short tube headers? I do have to pass emissions here in Colorado. So I suspect that the long tube headers are not an option. Since I don't know how to weld it sounds like a short tube header install is not in my DIY future.

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
I don't know what checks are made in Colorado. If you have to pass tail pipe sniffing or they just connect the computer to check for codes, then you will have no problem with long tubes if you have cats in the B pipes and move the O2 sensor behind those cats. Your B pipes will bolt up to the long tubes, and the only welding is the new bung in the B pipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping the Berk b-pipes make moving the bung unnecessary. I know they check tail pipe emissions here in Colorado. Not sure about the OBD code check. They do a visual inspection also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.