Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6inch lift and 35x12.5x20" terra grapplers. I get about 11.7mpg weather I drive it like i stole it or tow mode and drive like a grandpa. I also have dual exhaust and cold air intake.

I was wondering if I went down to like 33" tires x 12.5 x 18 rims if I would see a noticeable change. if I got even 2 mpg more Id be happy. looking for threads on this but cant seem to find what Im looking for....

·
Registered
547 Posts
33's in the City yes, 35s on the highway should be higher with the lower cruise rpm. On a flat road at least. I'm getting 14-16.5 combined staying at no more than 60 stock tires. I was getting 12-14.5 with the 325-60x18s, (33s). I dont drive alot, 41k on a 2006 bought NEW. Are you calculating the MPG right? With 35s the speedo is like 5mph slower than stock and 33s are 2-3mph off @60. My 12-14.5 was calulated off of the nav/mph so i know it was off. Better or worse I dont know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I always suspected my speedo was off. I've had the truck 2 months. Bought it with all the upgrades already. I've always been a jeep guy. There was a gear in the transfer case you had to switch out to fix the speedo in my 05. The new ones are electronic. I have no clue how to fix the Titan but definitely worth looking into. Thanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hyper Tech has a speedo recalibrator for 200.00 that will fix it. Heres the link.

http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx
You might check summit racing on this too. That's where I got mine and I believe it was a little cheaper. My pro-4x came stock with 33" and I got 16 hwy 14 city. Now my 295/70 (34.6" x 11.6") I'm lucky to get 14 hwy. Price to pay. I do believe that with a 6 inch lift anything smaller than my tire would look odd. Just my thoughts though.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
As PoDunk said the lift isn't doing you any favors. It does affect MPG. The tires are an issue too. I'm running OEM size tires, but there is a good 2 MPG decrease when I switch to my LT tires. The Toyo LT tires are (I think) 18 lbs heavier than the OEM BFG Rugged Trail tires.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
So all the things that are affecting your numbers from Tire selection etc are really: Diameter which changes your ratio, Weight which is sprung, Drag from Lift, Drag from Tire Width or Tread Design and of course making the mathematically correct MPG calculations. 33' is considered the normal tire diameter. http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm has lots of free calculators you may find useful. On the iPod/iPhone, I use iDrag for gearing calcs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts