Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved my truck out of the garage and found an oily substance on the floor where the right front tire was. It looks to me like my coilover is leaking from the bottom. Can this be fixed, or is it just shot?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can I replace these seals myself or does a shop have to do it?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I believe they are under pressure so you are going to basically need a rebuild. You can do this yourself if you feel confident enough and you can get a rebuild kit. Isn't DR out of business? This may make it hard to find what size parts they used.

You also need to find a place in which will give them the nitrogen charge that you need to re-pressurize them.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if I sent it back to Greg @ PRG if he could take care of it?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Greg rebuilt my rear SAW shocks twice. The third time they needed it he never responded to my email request. I heard from another member that Greg declined to rebuild his SAW shocks. I'm not sure what's going on with PRG. Fortunately the SAW coilovers are still intact because they were a booger to install.

Let me know if Greg agrees to the rebuild. I would even pay for the rebuild this time.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh man, I hope he does not leave me hang! He has always been good to me though

·
Registered
558 Posts
I believe that Icon, (formerly DRE), doesn't provide their proprietary rebuild parts to anyone, so they must be sent in. They have a RMA request form at the link. Your warranty probably went away like DRE, but the leak wouldn't have been covered anyway.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/tech-support/shock-service/
Icon Vehicle Dynamics said:
Shock Service

Icon Vehicle Dynamics offers a re-building service for our entire 2.5” line of shocks. The basic re-build service includes labor, new seals and new shock oil and runs $75.00 per shock. If other parts such as bearings, shafts, and charge ports need to be replaced an Icon representative will call you and let you know the additional costs of these items. Listed below is the procedure for sending in your shocks for a re-build.

* Complete the shock service request form below.
* An Icon Vehicle Dynamics representative will respond to your request with a service number
* Remove shocks from the vehicle and clean off any dirt or debris. This is an important step and will save you from additional labor costs. Please retain all mounting hardware and bearing spacers.
* Box the shocks write the service log number on the outside of the box. ( boxes without service numbers will not accepted)
* Ship the shocks to the following address.

Icon Vehicle Dynamics
7929 Lincoln Ave
Riverside, CA

Please use any carrier that is convenient (UPS, USPS, FedEx)

* Upon receipt of your shocks an Icon shock technician will inspect all parts and you will be notified if any additional parts and/or services are needed.
* Upon completion of your re-build a representative will call you with the exact total of the re-build as well as shipping charges back to you.
Here's their phone number: Phone: +1 (951) 689-4266

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks NorCal 4x4. I will look into it.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent the registration form tonight, I guess I need to wait to hear from them now? Are they pretty quick about doing the work and getting them sent back out? I am supposed to go accross state for a Thanksgiving camping trip the weekend of 11/12. Any chance if I get it sent out in the next couple days it would be back in time? Do you think it would be safe to drive for that trip in its current state?

·
Registered
494 Posts
PRG is still dealing with the whole baby situation so he may be a little slow to comment right now.

ICON seems like a good deal. The rebuild should only take a tech 30mins per shock if it is just seals and oil. Once you start with bearings and etc...., it takes longer. One would imagine they would have a quick turnaround as long as they have the proper parts in stock. I'd imagine if they recieve it on a monday, it would be out by friday at the latest. The longest part would be in transit since it would take a few days each way.

It may be best to call some local offroad shops in your area while you are waiting on ICON to get back to you. They may have a better price once you figure in shipping and etc... and a quicker turnaround. Heck, you may be able to bring them in and watch as they are dis-assembled, repaired and re-assembled.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not realize a local shop would have the capability of rebuilding them, I will try to look into that today.

Again, I ask if I would be putting myself in any danger by waiting until after my trip to do this.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Bill, there should be no problem going on your trip. At the most you will lose some dampening on the shock. Drive slowly over rough areas.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You can barrow my OEM shocks if you need to... I don't know what shipping would cost but I wouldn't mind loaning them to you if you need to use them... 54warrior might also be able to help you out, he's alot closer to you than I am.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
As was previously stated, you'll be fine driving them with a slow leak. I wasn't aware of the proprietary parts thing with the DR/Icon stuff. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thyey have not gotten back to me yet either. Thanks for letting me know I will be ok, the wife was really bumming about maybe missing this trip!

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I take it back, they just sent an email with a return number

·
Registered
558 Posts
Keep us updated on how long they take. You could probably pay for expedited shipping each way to speed up the process some.

I haven't used their rebuilding service yet, so don't have input on their turnaround time. I know that they are popular with the Fords, so they might be busy. If you call them, they will let you know. You might consider getting a backup pair. I got the Bilstein HD's and a PRG 2.5" on right now, so I can check the DR's N2 and send them in if necessary, plus I want to unflip the hat.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have decided not to do anything with them until after my trip 11/12. I just don't want to be under the gun time wise with having so much other stuff to do to prepare for this trip.

I am very surprised and a bit bummed out I have not gotten a response back from Greg though. I understand he has stuff going on, but for what these cost, and buying from him, I really expected to hear from him about them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts