Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In doing research preparing to do the test/review on the 3" Gibson single exhaust, I have changed my opinions on dyno testing. I had noticed that most people were using the Dynojet system over the Mustang dyno, so I figured that is how I wanted to go. After really getting into it, and learning all I could, I now am of the opinion that using the Dynojet system is using old technology. The Dynojet, to put it simply basically uses a inertia flywheel that you turn with the power wheels of your vehicle. Results can vary widely, with different throttle responses once you have the flywheel turning. The Mustang uses an electrical type brake on its system called eddy current. (which Dynojet is now putting on their new machines) With the Mustang system, there are many more tests you can preform, such as simulating towing, simulating hauling a load in bed, "real world" atmosphere such as wind drag. It also allows you to make tests at partial throttle, and constant speeds. Can perform power curve tests under controlled acceleration rates for better data resolution. It will give you 0-60 times, estimated 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times.

The Dynojet will always give higher numbers, but is that what we really want? Myself, I want precise, accurate numbers. The mustang will also be much more accurate so far as seeing differences between "base line" stock runs, and follow up runs after mods are made.

I have decided to use the Mustang system for my upcoming test/review on the Gibson exhaust. I have a speed shop that is opening a second shop in my area. I talked to the owner, and he has sold his Dynojet from his original shop, and has bought 2 of the newest version Mustangs for his shops. In his opinion, there is no comparison between the 2 units. In fact, he said he could have bought the new Dynojet unit for $24,000.00 less!

The numbers I show will probably be less then those of people using the dynojet, but they will also more accurately show the differences the mods make on our trucks.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Bill, that's a beautiful explanation of your change in plans when it comes to dynos, BUT, what are you going to compare it to? MikeZ is the only one who has had a dyno performed on a mustang dyno. Good luck but your results will not mean much if we don't have anything to compare it to. Know what I mean???

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can the numbers not mean much when you have a baseline run to look at, a true base line run. Then you have a run with the exhaust on to see a true numbers difference, then a run with exhaust and intake to see another "true numbers" difference. In my research I have found that the dyno operator has EVERYTHING to do with the results on a dynojet, and can basicly make any numbers he wants appear, weather it be on purpose, or by accident. Take your truck to 2 different dynojet shops, and you are sure to get 2 different results, it is not that way with the Mustang.

Just because I am not using the outdated method, does not mean my numbers are of no value by any stretch of the imagination. People will be able to see real gains with each mod done. Just because my numbers don't match dynojet numbers is really insignificant, since my dynojet numbers would not match your dynojet numbers either! For that matter, your own numbers would not be the same using 2 different shops!

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I understand what he is saying. Its not that we are comparing them to Mike's its that we will have 3 different dynos done on same machine one Stock. One with exhaust. One with exhaust and Intake. We will have a good comparison because its the same truck we will know exactly what he gained with each addition. We could then take the stock run from Mike and add the gains and that would be what Mike would have if he did these mods also.
am I right?
M4ck

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
m4ck said:
I understand what he is saying. Its not that we are comparing them to Mike's its that we will have 3 different dynos done on same machine one Stock. One with exhaust. One with exhaust and Intake. We will have a good comparison because its the same truck we will know exactly what he gained with each addition. We could then take the stock run from Mike and add the gains and that would be what Mike would have if he did these mods also.
am I right?
M4ck
More like you have a stock truck base line run. You then do a run with exhaust on. The difference in numbers should be the same on everyones truck. You are using the same truck, the same dyno, the only veriables are the modifications done to said truck. The same is true for the third run with exhaust and intake on.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
my bad.......Bill I was thinking this was going to be your only run. I forgot about the exhaust and Volant runs that you'll be doing. I think I was a crack baby.....at least that's excuse I'll use for this blunder... :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts