Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I didn;t get them in due to factors beyond my control. However, I did get the main bracket made that will eventually hold the fans in place. Here are some pics. More to come - sorry for the teaser.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
thanks head for leading the way, i also am working on this mod, i have a 2 speed fan from a lincoln that should do the trick.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Here he goes, teasing me with the Nitrous Install. ;) More pics of the steel braided lines please! I'm curious where you tapped in for your fuel source?

Just out of curiosity Head, is the factory crank mounted fan and clutch robbing that much power? I was under the impression that most companies have developed modern clutches that exibit very little drag on the engine. I never really thought of this for a mod so I'm glad your taking the plunge. If you gain significant power, you might have to Patent a kit. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was in the midst of installing said Lincoln fan but it is so "long" that I was having clearance problems with it. After hacking up the shroud that came with it too much for my liking, I had to just stop. And somewhere in the midst of that the electric motor made some funny noises so I dropped back 10 and punted. I have two 14" perma-cool fans on the way now. I'm roadracing this Saturday so I hope to get the fans in on Sunday.

If you look at the pic of the engine compartment - you'll see where I tapped into the stock fuel line. It required some modifying. Really, you could make a bunch of those and make a killing if you could convince enough people to buy them.

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
well i guess im starting over with the lincoln fan :( maybe ill use the old universal flex a lite i have laying around :idea:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm picky about how I'm doing this. I want a very clean install. I think those are really good fans and can flow quite a bit of air (3300 cfm). But I just want something more sano. A lot of the Chevy guys run LT1 and LS1 fans on their trucks. They seem to hold up just fine, even with towing. So you might consdier that too.

So don't get down just because I gave up on it. I just want a very clean install and that fan just isn't going to do it for me, personally.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics, even if it was a little bit of a tease. :lol: I look forward to seeing the final outcome. I feel I have a pretty good idea about what the fan is for, but perhaps you can elaborate more about the improvement you expect from doing this mod.

·
Registered
791 Posts
the_head said:
If you look at the pic of the engine compartment - you'll see where I tapped into the stock fuel line. It required some modifying. Really, you could make a bunch of those and make a killing if you could convince enough people to buy them.
I think I'm missing it but I don't want to hijack your thread. If you get a minute maybe you could E-mail me a larger version of that picture or a close up of where you tapped in? All I'm seeing is the steel braided lines and your solenoids.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reasons are mainly for performance. Some vehicles have seen 15hp by converting to electric fans. I don't know what the Titan will get. There is usually a gain in mpg as well. My main reasons for doing it are more power and the ability to cool better at the track. In order to run the current fan, you obviously need the engine running and generating more heat. With the fans that is not the case (providing you set it up that way).

As for the fuel line - look directly below the solenoids. There is a blue fitting (90 degree elbow). It is threaded directly into the stock fuel hose. I had to drill the stock hose fitting and tap the threads.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
For those of us that are just getting into the performance mods can we get a good science lesson or explanation of why this is better than the stock fan. I assume it has something to do with less drag on the motor because the motor is not pushing the fan. Am I correct maybe there is more reason. Also speaking of the track you say it will keep truck cool while turned off between runs. Is this done by a temp sensure or manual button to turn fan on.
Thanks for taking time for a newbie.
M4ck

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well first of all I don't know that I would use the word "better". Both have advantages.

For me, I want more power. The fan is just like anything else the motor has to turn, it costs power to do that. That wasted energy comes from the weight of the fan and also the drag caused by the blades moving air. Some of that drag is reduced by the viscous clutch the fan uses, but it is still there. Put a 5 pound weight in your hand. Can you swing your arm easier without the weight or with the weight - especially if you are trying to accelerate? So that's one gain in power.

Now the electric fans do "cost" some power to operate in the drag caused by the alternator having to manage an increased electrical load on the system. But this drag on the alternator is nothing compared to the spinning and drag of the mechanical fan.

Which one cools better going down the road - neither. Which one cools better at a stop - neither (both can do the job).

Which one allows a faster cool down at the track? Electric definitely. Rather than just letting heat radiation and almost no convection cooling take place with the stock mechanical fan, now you can cool down the water in the radiator a lot faster. After a few minutes, you would then start your engine to circulate the cooler water into the engine and more hot water to the radiator to be cooled. Then you just kill the engine and repeat. The electric fans keep running (if they are set up that way) and cooling. The electric fans just allow faster cool downs in between runs.

Back to the drag on the engine. As engine rpms speed up and slow down under normal driving, the energy required to move that mechanical fan are still there, regardless if the radiator really needs it or not. The electrical fans are setup to only come on when you need them. And in the case of the controller I am using, will not kick them on undera full load. It'll only use enough power to the fans to keep the engine cool. If there is enough air going through the radiator at highway speeds, the fans may not run at all. This is no additional drag on the engine as opposed to a constantly spinning mechanical fan. This is where the mpg gain can be seen.

The big thing about electric fans are like most legal disclaimers - your results may vary. If I had a normal everyday driving truck and had no desire to make passes at the track on a regular basis, I wouldn't even be considering this mod. But since I am at the track somewhat often, it is worthwhile for me to do.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think that this is a great mod, and hope it works out as planned. Does anyone know the CFM rating of the stock fan??

Wouldnt a flex fan be a cheaper alternative? By flattening out at higher rpms, it would reduce drag and increase hp, right?

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
THe_head
thanks for the great explanation. I appreciate it and I'm sure others will also.
M4ck

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GETSOMZ28 said:
Wouldnt a flex fan be a cheaper alternative? By flattening out at higher rpms, it would reduce drag and increase hp, right?
It would. It would also strike fear into the hearts of all of your opponents as they would be thinking a Huey gunship was on an attack vector. Flex fans work great but man are they noisy. And it's my personal belief with absolutely no info, data, or chicken bones that even though they flatten out, electric fans would still beat them in the drag category simply because there is just nothing connected to the engine at all.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I see what you mean Head. Because you hit the track alot the couple extra horses could mean win or lose. Can't wait to hear of your results. (I'm checking out the fuel tap and I like! No leaks???)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TitanHauler said:
(I'm checking out the fuel tap and I like! No leaks???)
I usually put the top of an empty spray paint can under there to catch the drips. I've about got it figured out to where I dump it at about every 270 miles to keep it from sloshing out.

8O

OK, I'm yankin' yer chain! No leaks (silly!). I use liquid teflon on all my fittings.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
the_head said:
TitanHauler said:
I usually put the top of an empty spray paint can under there to catch the drips. I've about got it figured out to where I dump it at about every 270 miles to keep it from sloshing out.

8O

OK, I'm yankin' yer chain! No leaks (silly!). I use liquid teflon on all my fittings.
LOL
ok you actually got me for a sec. I was like wahhhh then scroll a little more. LOL
heh
M4ck

·
Registered
791 Posts
the_head said:
TitanHauler said:

8O

270 miles? Right on . . . Let's see . . . That's 1,080 trips down the 1/4 mile . . . Hey, that's acceptable! ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts