Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post.

My 2004 Titan SE 2WD is having some weird problem with overheating. With no pattern at all the temp gauge will jump up and seems to settle back down just as quickly. It almost never gets past the line before the final "H" line and the light only came on once. We stop driving it or turn off the AC and the gauge drops down after a few minutes. I've even just pulled over & turned off the eninge and immediately re-started it and the gauge settles back to normal. I have done the following:

1- Checked the coolant level and all is good. Never missing a drop.
2- Checked the coolant overflow container and it is always perfect.
3- Checked to make sure the fan is running while it is indicating it is hot.
4- I wanted to see if the fan clutch was going out, but there's not much play in the fan.
5- I replaced the themostat. The smaller spring had a little piece of rubber caught in it. I thought the problem was solved because the stat wasn't allowed to open all the way.

Well, the truck is still indicating overheating. I realized how much the temperature was "supposedly" changing in such a short amount of time and it seemed unlikely. It doesn't slowly increase, the gauge jumps up like 100 degrees in a second and then drops just as fast when it does. Is that even possible?

I joined because I did a search on the ECT topic and found you guys (& gals?). The post was from July 2009 so I figured I better just start a new thread on the subject. That post stated that a member had replaced 20 ECTs on Titans (mechanic?) and I wanted to know if that was an issue for others? Does it sound like the sensor going bad?

Any other ideas are apprecaited! Thanks for any input!

Brad

·
3,813 Posts
Try this first: 1. Hold the button down for trip odometer while turning on the truck, and hold it for 8 seconds, this will put you in diagnostic mode. You will see in the instrument cluster LED read out that things have changed. The display will show "tESt"

Push the trip button until it reads GAUGE, wait until it does it's sweep, this will reset the gauges. If the temp gauge sweeps normal go for a drive and see if it still acts up. If it does not sweep like it should the gauge may be bad.

The rest of the story: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/42522-fun-free-digital-fuel-gauge-mph-tach.html

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Sounds like a bad sensor, or bad connection to the sensor.
The sensor isn't hard to change. See attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I reset the gauges as suggested on Monday night. Earlier today it jumped up and hoovered below the H and then dropped back down after a little while. I guess I'll have to change the sensor or at least check the wiring.

Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anything come of this post? I have been having a similar issue for the last few months. Originally, my 07 Titan SE only overheated when I was towing my 18ft boat up a long hill (and it's not a heavy boat, boat weight is 1750lbs plus maybe another 500lbs for the trailer). I started with a coolant system flush & changed thermostat. Still overheated. Next I changed electric fan (which was NOT working and I had no idea) along with the fan clutch assembly. Still overheated. Moved on to transmission fluid which seemed dark and smelled burned, and the water pump. While changing the water pump, the damn overflow nipple broke off my radiator so I had to replace the radiator too. Well..... A few days after changing the radiator, I took it for a nice long drive, seemingly without issues. On my way back I stopped at a fast food joint for obvious reasons. While sitting in the drive through line my temp gauge went all the way up to the warning line just before the H line. The weird thing is that the temp dropped all at once back to normal temp as if the thermostat opened..... But I don't recall my thermostat ever cooling the temp that quickly. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah..... It's 13yrs old with 250k miles but it's been flawlessly up kept. All the regular maintenance and on time. Maybe it's just my trucks time to kick the bucket. Though I hope not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts