1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really need an answer asap.

I have an '04 Titan with about 88,000 miles

Here is the back story.

My truck had been a little sluggish at times leaving stop lights and then other times full power. I was driving home one night truck began to shimmy and shake violently. I was able to drive home with pedaling gas and brakes. Got in the truck the next morning it was hard starting. Tried driving but the truck died at stop lights. Parked it for two weeks and rode the Ninja until school was out (I teach). Got on this sight and found out about the ECM recall and about swapping the fog light relay as an emergency fix. I did that to get it to the dealership.

Manager came back after investigating and said the truck had jumped timing and that there was some metal present in the oil. Talking $2500 to replace chain and components or $9200 for a new engine.

Got a second opinion and he also said it had jumped timing.

Finally my question.

Online I have found a 2011 engine with a lot less miles than mine. Is it possible to make this swap, and if so, is there something else I need to change?

Please Help !!!

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
You will have lots of problems. The 2011 engine is VVT; the 04 is not. You will need a new ECM, new wiring harnesses, etc. All very costly. Much better to get the proper engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for answering.

Wow...Ok, thanks...that will make my decision easier.

Am I correct that the 2004's, 2005's, and the 2006's are compatable?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Have not tested the theory, but have heard 07 cams will bolt in to a 04-06 VK56. If this is true we may be able to swap cam covers and cam gears on to a 07-Up motor and have it run in our 04-06 without a ECU swap and BCM reprogram.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts