Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 XE

Synthetic Mobil 1 0w-40

Start her up and I get a ticking noise (driver side) heard through the wheel well but a little louder from under the truck behind the front wheel near the mud flap.

Goes away in a few minutes and never heard again while hot.

I have read all the manifold posts but could it possibly be an oil issue where it just needs to get flowing and then quiets down?

Truck drives great. Bullydog says 14mpg and I get no codes.

I use M-1 filters

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Cracked exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Thanks for the diagnosis.

If I drive to the dealer and the engine is hot and there is no ticking, can they test it somehow or will I have to wait for it to cool down to show them the sound?

I'd hate to look like an idiot.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok, Thanks for the diagnosis.

If I drive to the dealer and the engine is hot and there is no ticking, can they test it somehow or will I have to wait for it to cool down to show them the sound?

I'd hate to look like an idiot.
well, the dealer probably wont look at it right away...at least around here lol. usually takes them a few hours. that may give it time to cool down. they should still be able to find it though. but ya, it sounds like the manifolds

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This morning I got up and lit two smoke bombs left over from the 4th of July and held tem in my exhaust pipe untill they stopped smoking. I immediately put my leaf blower on my tailpipe and saw absoulutely no smoke comming out of my manifolds......

I am thinking it is an oil issue and the engine just needs a few minutes to lubricate when cold. I use 0w-40

Anyone else care to give their opinion? I'll take whatever you can give me.

Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
The cracks may be small enough right now that it takes pressure to make them open. Your leaf blower probably doesn't have enough power to increase the pressure enough.

I am also wondering why you are using a 0w40 and not a 5w30?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So two smoke bombs and my blower didn't do the trick/ I was afraid of that. I really need to find a shop with one of those foggers.

I've been using 0w-40 mobil one in my Trans Am's 350 LT1 AND my Rodeo 3.2L for years and have had nothing but great running engines from it.

Personal preference I guess....nothing more

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had the ticking when cold, had the manifolds replaced and it was all quiet again. Does anybody know if the manifolds Nissan is using to replace the old ones are of better quality, or am I going to have to plan on having it done again at 60K, the originals went at 30K.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I recall reading some official paper that they are indeed beefier. Even had pictures.

·
Registered
317 Posts
ya i think when i replaced them on the old T the service manager told me they were improved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.