Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice there engine ticking. It's not the normal engine tick / injectors. It's intemittent, and it is coming from the driverside, in the back somewhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,584 Posts
Cracked exhaust manifold?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Does the ticking happen at idle or when the engine is under load. If under load then it is probably the manifold cracked. I had both my manifolds go bad within 2 months of each other. If it is at idle, I have the same issue and Nissan claims to not hear what I hear. I have brought it to them 2 times for this. You can try the additional grounding to the passenger side of the engine like I did, but it didn't quiet the noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
By chance have you recently changed your oil? Mine started ticking after I changed the oil from what it came with from the factory to a synthetic oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
My 08 has had the "tick" since I have had it. It almost sounds like it's arcing....
I just assumed it was the VVT or some computer thing becuase it only seems to happen at idle.
I've read up on the grounding fix but just haven't done it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is deff at idle as far as I can tell, I comes and goes. If I shut it down and restart, it goes away for a minute then it comes back. It deff sounds like a valve tap. But intermittent??. I did'nt change oil I always used conventional oil. Where would the manifold be cracked? Is it obvious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
mine is ticking but it only does this when the truck moves and with the mud grapplers and loud exhaust you cant hear it unless you are going about 15 and coasting...ive been under the truck and my front driveshaft has play in it idk if its normal but i can turn it a little and then it turns my cv axle and makes a little clicking noise if you do it fast enough
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
14meggedyou said:
mine is ticking but it only does this when the truck moves and with the mud grapplers and loud exhaust you cant hear it unless you are going about 15 and coasting...ive been under the truck and my front driveshaft has play in it idk if its normal but i can turn it a little and then it turns my cv axle and makes a little clicking noise if you do it fast enough
Sounds like you have a bad cv joint, is the boot ripped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Mine sounds like valve tap or a lifter. Both times I left it at the dealer they claimed to not hear anything wrong. I can hear it 15 feet from my garage in the driveway in the morning. On cold startup is when it is at its worst. I will have to bring it in again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
HRTKD said:
By chance have you recently changed your oil? Mine started ticking after I changed the oil from what it came with from the factory to a synthetic oil.
+1 as mine started the same way when I switched.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
James Con said:
Sounds like you have a bad cv joint, is the boot ripped.
thats the thing the boot is not ripped i just replaced the seal in the front diff so itd stop leaking oil...so idk dont matter anyways ims rip it all out soon enough
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
Quite a few people have gotten rid of the driver's side tick with grounding.

Mine ticks all the time. It sounds like ALL of the lifters :) but it runs fine so I don't worry about it much.

I also had the passenger side exhaust manifold crack. You could really hear it under load and running along side a concrete barrier/guardrail where the sound would bounce off and back through an open window.

They replaced both manifolds even though I only could hear one side leaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chief said:
Quite a few people have gotten rid of the driver's side tick with grounding.

Mine ticks all the time. It sounds like ALL of the lifters :) but it runs fine so I don't worry about it much.

I also had the passenger side exhaust manifold crack. You could really hear it under load and running along side a concrete barrier/guardrail where the sound would bounce off and back through an open window.

They replaced both manifolds even though I only could hear one side leaking.
Did you get it done at Abelloff Nissan? I am a little leary about bringing it back to them they always give me the run around. Ya kinda have to hold the mechanics hand and point the problem out. Almost like they don't want to fix it. Especially under warranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
James Con said:
Did you get it done at Abelloff Nissan? I am a little leary about bringing it back to them they always give me the run around. Ya kinda have to hold the mechanics hand and point the problem out. Almost like they don't want to fix it. Especially under warranty
Hey James,

I've never heard of Abelloff. The closest dealers to me that I know of are Schuller in Nanticoke (Near Wilkes Barre), Hessor Nissan in Scranton, and Rothrock in Allentown.

I bought from Schuller, they got the truck from Rothrock's lot. Now Schuller was sold to Pollack, they may be in Pittston or Nanticoke. I take it to Hessor in Scranton cause they are the closest. Yakkity Yak..... :)

Anyway the dealer mentality is about the same from the 2 I've dealt with. Both have been fair, and have even gone beyond expectations, but you and I probably know more about our trucks than they do. They just follow procedure and they NEVER volunteer any more info than is neccessary. (just like Nissan North America)

I've come to understand that we are enthusiasts, they are just doing their job, the best they can for the most part. But the Nissan Titan is just a fraction of their concerns. We get a lot of info from spending time here, maybe not as technical, but we know for sure what the trends are as far as problems, performance upgrades, etc.

If you have a problem covered under warranty, chances are they will fix it properly. I usually just tell them what I know, or ask them questions that lead them in the right direction, without being cocky (if I can help it :) ).

I'm gonna stop now, I'm getting a little cranked up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
**UPDATE** I finally Brought the truck in. Turns out the passenger side exhaust manifold is cracked. As you guys said. The good thing is they are gonna replace both sides. Thanks for all the input guys. Seeya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Good chance it's a cracked exhaust manifold. Mine sounded alot like valve or lifter tap. My 06 I had would always do it after the first intial cold start after about 3 mins of idiling then eventually would disappear. My dealer was clueless about the cracked exhaust manifold problems, I contacted Nissan and they referred me to another dealer who said they knew what it was. Mine cracked 2 manifolds within 6000 miles. Talk to another dealer, but it sounds very similar to my issue I had on my last Titan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
Good Deal!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chief said:
Good Deal!!!!!
I took your advice, I went in to the dealer and explained the situation in a calm way, I wasn't cocky and I just told them what I thought the problem was (Exhaust manifold). And the service manager actually told me they been having problems with the manifolds. He said the one was definetly cracked but they were gonna change both just in case the other one was bad too. Which was cool. I guess as the saying goes "You get more bees with honey"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Quite a few people have gotten rid of the driver's side tick with grounding.

Mine ticks all the time. It sounds like ALL of the lifters :) but it runs fine so I don't worry about it much.

I also had the passenger side exhaust manifold crack. You could really hear it under load and running along side a concrete barrier/guardrail where the sound would bounce off and back through an open window.

They replaced both manifolds even though I only could hear one side leaking.
How much did that cost to have both done?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top