Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you ever get that feeling that somethin is wrong with your truck, like when u get used to it and u can feel somethin is wrong but there is no physical evidence. well ive been feelin that for about a week now, feels like she is riding rougher and that she is suckin more gas than normal. when i first got it i could go about 90miles or so on a quarter tank (the upper quarter of course) and now i used the trip set thing, and i used a quarter tank in like 50miles, and if get on it a little i can sorta see the gas gauge go down... someone please tell me its a common thing and an easy fix, im takin it to the dealer in a few days to get a check up and oil change but i would like to no what could be wrong. thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also im thinkin about gettin my oil changed when i take it into the dealership,ill have about 1000 mi on my baby what kind of oil should i request if i can? what weight?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
without actually checking the gas mileage I don't have any ideas for you. Manually check the mileage at each fill up for a while and see what it's actually doing.

Check out some of the oil threads on this forum and then decide what you want to use. I'm not sure you'll have much choice at a dealership, generally they'll use whatever is the cheapest bulk they can get their hands on typically in a 5W-30 flavor..

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Did you drive with the AC on? Was your gear on 4D? :idea:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Shift,

My MPG so far has been:

11.5 MPG (premium) 17 gallons
13.5 MPG (premium) 12 gallons
09.6 MPG (regular)-- 21 gallons

I didn't count the 1st fill because there was too much guesswork. This is not highway driving, I have been making short town trips and tend to let it warm-up and idle more. Also heavy on the pedal, can't help that this soon.

Maybe too early to tell, but it could be the truck gets better mileage with certain high test fuels. If if does I'll have to figure out if the savings in mileage offsets the cost of the fuel, but will probably use high test regardless if the mileage is consistently better.

On a sidenote, I noticed the Sam's Club in my area now sells gas. $1.60 reg and $1.80 premium (where ya goin'!!!) You can bet I'll be making it a point to fill up there for awhile and see how things work out.

I've noticed that the ride seemed to get rougher on mine lately, but the weather has been colder and I'm probably just starting to notice the ride more now that I've had it a few weeks. I don't hear any suspension noises so I'm O.K. with that. It is a truck with offroad package. I figure it's gonna ride a bit rough. Your mind will play tricks on you sometimes. Give it a good wash/wax and if you are like me you will notice how much better it rides :D

I have a feeling you probably don't have much to worry about though.

GoodLuck,

Chief

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I thought my trucks suspension lost the smoothness, but then I went to dealer and drove another new one and it felt the same as mine. Its all in my head, go drive one and see for yourself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I'm not the only one............

I've never driven a car or truck that the needle on the gas gauge drops so fast. When I'm not towing it drops 1/2 way detween full and 3/4 in about 25 miles with out putting my foot in it. When I'm towing my 7000 lbs trailer it drops to the same point in about 10 miles, However its just as funny on the other end!! when I'm on 1/4 and think " I better fillup " I stop and pump in 16 gal. Seems that at 1/4 tank I still have 12 gal left.
Of course you cant go by the gauge to get MPG! So I fill up, set my odometor and check it at the next fill up
With out towing I've got between 12.6 and 15.5 MPG
With towing I get between 7.5 and 8.5 MPG
I asked at the dealer if the gauge can be calibrated and was told no
I guess it doesnt matter how fast it drops its just a bothersome to watch. A guy at work said to put a little black tape over the top 3/4 of the gas gauge LOL
If you find out different then I did let me / us know
God bless
Greg from mi.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've noticed that the fuel gauge on any vehicle I've owned was never perfect.

What really sucks is when you see the gauge eventually starting to set lower and lower when full. You know the float is starting to leak, but are you really gonna pull the tank for that or just live with it? :D

The gauge on my Titan is more accurate than my Dakota from full to 3/4 and also at 1/4. Greg, my truck seems just the opposite of yours, at 1/2 tank it will take only 12 gallons.

Also when the fuel light comes on the Titan, (needle at 1/4) there are 7 gallons left. Yea exactly 1/4 tank. Some subaru fuel lights come on at 1/3 tank (talk about idiot-proofing).

I'd prefer it come on with about 2 or 3 gallons left since I like to drive until everyone in the vehicle is silent and almost afraid to look at the gauge. :D

Chief

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yeah I can get past the E on the gauge. I thought I read it was a 26 gallon tank? Never put more than 24 in it though.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's a 28 Gallon tank which isn't too bad. Gotta get a better feel for mileage before I start pushing between fillups.

One time the gauge was out on my '95 ram. I filled up with 26.5 gallons and it was only a 26 gallon tank 8O

Dodge has a std 26 gallon tank, Had I bought the Dodge the optional 34 gallon would have been high on my priority list with the hemi.

Man, not to knock Dodge, but am I glad I test drove the Titan. This truck is built so nicely, the power comes on soo smooth. ROCK ROCK ROCK.

Chief

1 - 10 of 10 Posts